Thread: Wanting an old time carbine in 45/70

Team GunsNetwork PLATINUM 10/2012 rci2950's Avatar

Wanting an old time carbine in 45/70

Looking at the Pedersoli linup and my options are either the Sharps, trapdoor or rolling block. Looking for something compact for range fun and deer hunting from a tree stand. I will be hand loading my own ammunition to old specs using cast bullets. Out of all three which would you all pick? I have researched the strengths of the three and already understasnd the trapdoor is the weakest design but I am most drawn to that one. I am also open to other suggestions to early single shot 45/70 carbines.

Gunsnet member since 2002
    Salt Water Cowboy - Dolphin 38

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2013 alismith's Avatar

I like the Sharps the best, but that's just me....

While not the same exact gun, this is what got me interested in the Sharps:

Last edited by alismith; 11-28-2019 at 09:48 AM.
    "Valar morghulis; valar dohaeris."

Commucrats are most efficient at converting sins and crimes to accidents or misunderstandings.-Oswald Bastable

Making good people helpless won't make bad people harmless.

Freedom isn't free.

"Attitude is the paintbrush that colors our world." TV Series, Haven.

My Spirit Animal has rabies.

I'd rather be an American than a Democrat.

"If you can make a man afraid, you can control him" Netflix Series, The Irregulars

A good friend of mine owns a rolling block 45/70 and Ive got to say that is one nice gun to shoot.
    I had a Marlin guide gun and it was horrible. Recoil really doesn't bother me much but for some reason that Marlin punished me.
    The RB is accurate, low recoil and a real blast. Been thinking of one myself lately.

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2013 alismith's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ubersoldate View Post
    A good friend of mine owns a rolling block 45/70 and Ive got to say that is one nice gun to shoot.
    I had a Marlin guide gun and it was horrible. Recoil really doesn't bother me much but for some reason that Marlin punished me.
    The RB is accurate, low recoil and a real blast. Been thinking of one myself lately.
    I have one and have only taken it out one time to shoot. After about 4 shots, my shoulder hurt so much I couldn't bear the thought of shooting it one more time. I'll keep it, but it won't get shot much....

Saving it for bear....but there aren't any bears around here.....
    "Valar morghulis; valar dohaeris."

Commucrats are most efficient at converting sins and crimes to accidents or misunderstandings.-Oswald Bastable

Making good people helpless won't make bad people harmless.

Freedom isn't free.

"Attitude is the paintbrush that colors our world." TV Series, Haven.

My Spirit Animal has rabies.

I'd rather be an American than a Democrat.

"If you can make a man afraid, you can control him" Netflix Series, The Irregulars

Quote Originally Posted by alismith View Post
    I have one and have only taken it out one time to shoot. After about 4 shots, my shoulder hurt so much I couldn't bear the thought of shooting it one more time. I'll keep it, but it won't get shot much....

Saving it for bear....but there aren't any bears around here.....
    I hear ya! Ive got lots of bears but Im up there with the decision of shoulder surgery being equal to bear mauling.

Besides Ive recently gone over to a 10mm pistol with BB hardcast bear bullets. Easier to haul hunting, shedding, fishing mushroom searching and general hiking up here in bear country.