Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 7 days with no lectric!

7 days with no lectric!

This is a heartwarming tale about American resilience and rugged individualism and independance tested in the fire of the complete collapse of the modern economy;
    https://www.askaprepper.com/heres-wh...er-for-7-days/

"Seventh Day

Here’s What Happens When You Go Without Power for 7 DaysThings are starting to get ugly. People are hungry and so are their kids. I’m starting to see others walking around with guns strapped on. I carry concealed, so I’ve been doing that all along.

But I doubt all those people have a concealed carry license. They’ve just decided to take it on themselves to carry a gun. And I have to say, they don’t all look like nice people.

Several of them got together and came up my walkway, looking like they were planning on taking over. Since I have a four foot tall hedge around my front yard, they were all bunched up, right there on the walkway… right where I wanted them. I stepped out on the balcony, while the family poked their guns out the windows. As I said, they were right where I wanted them… where we had the upper hand.

That was enough to get them to turn back, after shouting a few threats at the house. I’m sure they’ll come back, just as soon as they’re ready."
    "And how we burned in the camps later thinking, what would things have been like, if every security operative, when he went out at night to make an arrest, had been uncertain, whether he would return alive and had to say good-bye to his family?"

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2013 alismith's Avatar

Very informative article. Makes you do some serious thinking.
    "Valar morghulis; valar dohaeris."

Commucrats are most efficient at converting sins and crimes to accidents or misunderstandings.-Oswald Bastable

Making good people helpless won't make bad people harmless.

Freedom isn't free.

"Attitude is the paintbrush that colors our world." TV Series, Haven.

My Spirit Animal has rabies.

I'd rather be an American than a Democrat.

"If you can make a man afraid, you can control him" Netflix Series, The Irregulars

"a four foot tall hedge around my front yard"

I see that quickly turning to the advantage of the offense should they return
    For peace of mind, resign as general manager of the universe

Thankfully, I have both a portable generator and a wood-burning fireplace insert. Several years ago. oddly enough, just after Thanksgiving, we had a moderate ice storm. I was out of power fot three days but my parents, about 12 miles south of me, were out for a week ! With an all electric house, they lost hundreds of dollars worth of food and could neither heat their house nor their water. They came up here and brought what they could, but - - -.
    “I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted. The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

Because of the risk of earthquakes, etc. I always stock 3 weeks or more of canned food or MREs and stacks of Bottled water. Anyone who runs out of food after a few days is an idiot (sure, I'm sympathetic to those who are so unprepared due to no fault of their own) but we keep on hearing alerts that EVERYONE should be prepared to be on their own for a 3 days minimum, a WEEK at least. I opted for a month or more. Also tons of folks near me are investing in generators (though they'll only run as long as there is fuel).

Ultimately, you don't need 'the end of the world' in order to be prepared. All of those solutions suggested are GOOD THINGS

Guns Network Lifetime Member #2

Plenty of 25 year storage food available, generator+ generlink http://www.generlink.com/, fuel, ammo, guns The generlink is a need, use any circuit up to the generator's load, no special subpanels that have limited use. Don't store any fuel that has ethanol. use non oxygenated fuel otherwise your carburetors will be fucked on any generator or other small engines.
    Last edited by 1 Patriot-of-many; 11-30-2019 at 09:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 1 Patriot-of-many View Post
    Plenty of 25 year storage food available, generator+ generlink http://www.generlink.com/, fuel, ammo, guns The generlink is a need, use any circuit up to the generator's load, no special subpanels that have limited use. Don't store any fuel that has ethanol. use non oxygenated fuel otherwise your carburetors will be fucked on any generator or other small engines.
    Very hard to find fuel without ethanol out here

Quote Originally Posted by NAPOTS View Post
    That's a bummer, here in MN there are plenty of stations that have it specifically for older engines/small engines ect.

The part most interesting to me is how quickly it seemed to devolve into criminality. The "car chase" where another vehicle tried to catch up with him, to the armed people trespassing on his property.

Going by the assumption that this story isn't a paranoid fantasy, it doesn't bode well for the future.
    Also if I was him I'd consider moving a priority. Closer to home, the scanner was on the other day and an elder gentleman in town called in two perps who had tried to enter, in broad daylight, his domicile via a window, some yelling back and forth and the miscreants skedaddled, with law enforcement looking for them.

Criminals gatta crim.
    "And how we burned in the camps later thinking, what would things have been like, if every security operative, when he went out at night to make an arrest, had been uncertain, whether he would return alive and had to say good-bye to his family?"

Quote Originally Posted by NAPOTS View Post
    There are NO stations in this area (Illinois side of St. Louis, MO) that I am aware of that have non-ethanol gas. The closest I have found is that pre-mixed 2-cycle stuff for small equipment. But it costs about 4X what gas station gas costs.
    “I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted. The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

Quote Originally Posted by JTHunter View Post
    There are NO stations in this area (Illinois side of St. Louis, MO) that I am aware of that have non-ethanol gas. The closest I have found is that pre-mixed 2-cycle stuff for small equipment. But it costs about 4X what gas station gas costs.
    That's crazy. Ethanol really screws up small engines. I left ethanol mix gas in my generator one year, the float valve corroded, wouldn't shut next time I used the generator, imagine fuel spilling out everywhere while the generator was running. Bought a complete new carb and said good bye to ethanol for our chainsaws, atvs, generator ect. It even melted the piston on my CR125 when it got a straight shot of it when it separated while sitting. Biodiesel sucks too.

I converted both our generators to run off both gasoline and propane...they can also run off NG with a small adjustment.
    https://www.motorsnorkel.com/

Quote Originally Posted by 308 View Post
    I converted both our generators to run off both gasoline and propane...they can also run off NG with a small adjustment.
    I bought a propane powered generator for the fuel stability. You can store propane pretty much indefinitely. The bbq cylinders are easy to find either thrown away or for $5 at garage sales. Take them to Wally World and they will swap them no matter the condition. Refills are cheap at Tractor Supply.

Quote Originally Posted by 308 View Post
    Now that's an idea! Thanks! Either of you know how long a 6500 Generac would run on one 20gal tank?

Now that's an idea! Thanks! Either of you know how long a 6500 Generac would run on one 20gal tank?
    Not sure, every opportunity I’ve had to use the gen, the power comes back on shortly thereafter. We use propane for heat here in Idaho and you can get the propane co-op to supply an additional tank for the gen that they can refill when they fill the big main tank. We have a couple 20gal standby tanks and a 600gal main tank.

Wow that's pretty bad. Here in Maine a 2 week outage would still barely register as anything to worry about, summer or winter.

BISHOP

That's crazy. Ethanol really screws up small engines. I left ethanol mix gas in my generator one year, the float valve corroded, wouldn't shut next time I used the generator, imagine fuel spilling out everywhere while the generator was running. Bought a complete new carb and said good bye to ethanol for our chainsaws, atvs, generator ect. It even melted the piston on my CR125 when it got a straight shot of it when it separated while sitting. Biodiesel sucks too.
    Alcohol is hygroscopic (it greedily absorbs water). That's why your float valve corroded. It was sitting in water.

All ethanol does is dilute the gasoline so you only get 90% of what you pay for.
    Gentlemen may prefer Blondes, but Real Men prefer Redheads!

Quote Originally Posted by Krupski View Post
    Alcohol is hygroscopic (it greedily absorbs water). That's why your float valve corroded. It was sitting in water.

All ethanol does is dilute the gasoline so you only get 90% of what you pay for.
    Gotta give farmers and ethanol industry owners subsidies in the guise of saving the planet. This bullshit mandate stuff, no one ever thinks of the consequences. MN has been talking about going to 20%.

I have a 10,000 watt generator and it will run 8 to 10 continuous hours on a 20# tank of propane.

The plus side to gaseous fuels like propane and lng is the engines pretty much start instantly, no worries about cold weather starts, greatly reduced wear on parts, and longer oil life as there's no dilution of the lubricant by liquid gasoline.
    A friend has an old unused well of some type on his property that has natural gas coming out at pressure, I'd be inclined to filter it and use it to power the house via a gen.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast