Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: Wonder when car dealerships are going to get a clue?

  1. #1
    Guns Network Contributor 01/2015 Altarboy's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    4,203

    Wonder when car dealerships are going to get a clue?

    I need a new truck. My usual action is to buy the cheapest new truck I can get. The new Ranger is too costly, and will be for a while. The Nissans are still 20k fir their cheapest Frontier, but I keep expecting them to drop a couple more thousand off that.
    There is a racetrack in MtJuliet that is storing probably four or five thousand Nissan cars and trucks that are not selling. I also see other brands stored in parking lots and warehouses. What gives? Why are they not discounting these trucks?

  2. #2
    Guns Network Lifetime Member #2

    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    6,991
    Quote Originally Posted by Altarboy View Post
    I need a new truck. My usual action is to buy the cheapest new truck I can get. The new Ranger is too costly, and will be for a while. The Nissans are still 20k fir their cheapest Frontier, but I keep expecting them to drop a couple more thousand off that.
    There is a racetrack in MtJuliet that is storing probably four or five thousand Nissan cars and trucks that are not selling. I also see other brands stored in parking lots and warehouses. What gives? Why are they not discounting these trucks?
    I agree on the ranger, the pricing is way out of whack. You can buy a full size F150 Supercrew for the same price. I've seen one or two actually on the road. Insane pricing. Not going to sell well IMHO. I finally bought a new car for my 90 mile a day commute after my beater kicked the bucket(cash) 15K out the door. Been driving 1-2K cars the last 18 years. 2019 Ford Fiesta, other than the fuel mileage, not impressed nor expected to be as fuel mileage was the only consideration. Averaging around 35-36 mpg generally 68-72mph between lights.
    Last edited by 1 Patriot-of-many; 12-01-2019 at 04:39 PM.

  3. #3
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    harms way
    Posts
    14,122
    What gives is record high levels of loan defaults in the auto loan industry. Sales are sluggish, but one has to check and see if the motor pools are the norm or are they an indication of lack of sales. A dealership in Nebraska holds a lot of cars and pickups on gravel lots for long periods of time, but they distribute these to local and not so local dealers. Things are, in the financial world, in a lot of ways, very similar to 2007, and yet very different at the same time. One diff is there will likely not be bailouts from the fedgov, but bailins from bank depositors, including depositors fdic funds. The depositors will receive a share of stock in a failed bank as an iou.
    “The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first.”
    -Thomas Jefferson

  4. #4
    Senior Member whiskeyman's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    601
    When you see ads stating $8,000 to $12,000 off of sticker price, it makes you wonder how much it's overpriced.

  5. #5
    Team Guns Network Silver 04/2013 alismith's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    44th "Free" State
    Posts
    11,614
    Quote Originally Posted by whiskeyman View Post
    When you see ads stating $8,000 to $12,000 off of sticker price, it makes you wonder how much it's overpriced.
    I was thinking the same thing....
    "Valar morghulis; valar dohaeris."

    "Never say, "gun control" but instead say, "victim disarmament." - L Neil Smith

    Making good people helpless won't make bad people harmless.

    Freedom isn't free.

    "Attitude is the paintbrush that colors our world." TV Series, Haven.

    My Spirit Animal has rabies.

  6. #6
    Administrator imanaknut's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Indiana, a state that is trying to remain free.
    Posts
    10,602
    Gotta keep dem production lines running to make quota even if they come off the line and go straight to a holding lot.

  7. #7
    Team GunsNet Bronze 10/2014

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    tennessee
    Posts
    481
    we bought a couple of cars from a friend in mcminnville. he used to go to mannheim auctions in mt. juliet. it saved a bunch of money. unless you want "brand" new. both cars were low miles. my daughter still has her's. check out genesis autobrokers in nashville.

  8. #8
    Guns Network Contributor 01/2015 Altarboy's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    4,203
    Quote Originally Posted by kuntryboy View Post
    we bought a couple of cars from a friend in mcminnville. he used to go to mannheim auctions in mt. juliet. it saved a bunch of money. unless you want "brand" new. both cars were low miles. my daughter still has her's. check out genesis autobrokers in nashville.
    Ok I will. I don't necessarily need new, but I do need low mileage.
    Don't I need a dealer license to go to auction?

  9. #9
    Team GunsNet Bronze 10/2014

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    tennessee
    Posts
    481
    Quote Originally Posted by Altarboy View Post
    Ok I will. I don't necessarily need new, but I do need low mileage.
    Don't I need a dealer license to go to auction?
    i think that's what he does. my friend charged a fee. but, the price was wholesale and still under lot prices.

  10. #10
    Team GunsNet Bronze 07/2011 weevil's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    4,680
    Buyer beware with cars at auctions. Sometimes you get a good deal, sometimes you find out why they took it to an auction.

    A lot of cars at auctions are lemons or have issues they don't want to spend the money to fix. You have to ask yourself why did they take this to an auction instead of trying to sell it for retail price on their lot. Sure maybe it was a slow mover.....or it could be one that came back and wasn't worth fixing.
    Where are we going and why are we in this handbasket???

  11. #11
    Team GunsNet Bronze 10/2014

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    tennessee
    Posts
    481
    Quote Originally Posted by weevil View Post
    Buyer beware with cars at auctions. Sometimes you get a good deal, sometimes you find out why they took it to an auction.

    A lot of cars at auctions are lemons or have issues they don't want to spend the money to fix. You have to ask yourself why did they take this to an auction instead of trying to sell it for retail price on their lot. Sure maybe it was a slow mover.....or it could be one that came back and wasn't worth fixing.
    thet's why doing your homework before you go is so important. we went wth a buyer, that took us onto the lot to look at the car. he ran a check on it while we looked at the condition of the car. then we looked at few more choices. only licensed buyers are allowed to bid. then he/she can "sell" you the vehicle. come one, come all auctions can get a less than satisfactory result.

  12. #12
    Team GunsNet Bronze 07/2011 weevil's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    4,680
    Even the dealer auctions aren't a sure thing. I've done work for several used car lots, and there's been more than a few cars that when I told them what it's gonna take to fix it their reply was "that one's going back to the auction".

    Like any car you buy it's always a crapshoot.
    Where are we going and why are we in this handbasket???

  13. #13
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    harms way
    Posts
    14,122
    Millions Of Americans Could Lose Their Cars As Delinquency Rates Rise
    Seven million Americans are more than 90 days behind on their car loans According to the New York federal reserve. Delinquency rates are nearing their peak from the great recession. And it’s the younger and poorer buyers that are ending up underwater.
    https://indianapublicmedia.org/news/...rates-rise.php

    Ever notice how so few wrecks are being driven today? By that I mean rusty, dented, chipped but otherwise running automobiles. They all seem to have disappeared in 0bamas great cash for clunkers regime. Now all the cheap cars are gone and people seem to want a fortune for slightly rusted old and high mileage cars, especially used lots.
    “The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first.”
    -Thomas Jefferson

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •