Thread: Directionally Challenged

Directionally Challenged

That's what I call my "disability"... I'm directionally challenged (my wife made it up).

I couldn't find my way out of a paper bag if my life depended on it.

Example: I drive to a store, making a final right turn into the parking lot. NORMAL people will exit the parking lot and turn left to get back on the road they came in on.

Not me. Unless I really think about it or draw myself a map, I will exit the parking lot and turn RIGHT onto the road, then drive a few miles, realize that, yes, once again nothing looks familiar and, yes, once again I f--ked up, make a U-turn and head home, bouncing and swearing at myself for my highly annoying inability to find my way back home no matter how hard I try.

Sometimes I try to outsmart myself. When a turn comes up, I tell myself "I ALWAYS pick the wrong direction, so instead I'll turn the opposite way from the direction I was going to go.

Nope. I STILL SCREW UP!!!!!

So, finally, having turned the wrong way and ending up pissed off and lost ever since i began rolling places on 2 or 4 wheels, I bought myself a...

GPS NAVIGATOR!

Now a little computer chip tells me where to go and it's always right!

Thank goodness for GPS... I may have STILL been lost between Lower Slobovia and Tim Buck 2 if it weren't for all those little satellites whizing around the planet.

GPS... YEAH!!!!
    Last edited by Krupski; 12-13-2019 at 07:31 AM.
    Gentlemen may prefer Blondes, but Real Men prefer Redheads!

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2013 alismith's Avatar

In a previous life, you were a homing pigeon, but you didn't last long after hatching.....
    "Valar morghulis; valar dohaeris."

Commucrats are most efficient at converting sins and crimes to accidents or misunderstandings.-Oswald Bastable

Making good people helpless won't make bad people harmless.

Freedom isn't free.

"Attitude is the paintbrush that colors our world." TV Series, Haven.

My Spirit Animal has rabies.

I'd rather be an American than a Democrat.

"If you can make a man afraid, you can control him" Netflix Series, The Irregulars

Quote Originally Posted by alismith View Post
    In a previous life, you were a homing pigeon, but you didn't last long after hatching.....
    Yeah, I was supposed to carry an important top secret message to Ike but I got lost and delivered it to Himmler instead.

After the Gestapo got through with me there wasn't much left. History calls it "Nacht der gebrochenen Flügel".

Too bad the Allies hadn't invented GPS yet.

Guns Network Lifetime Member #2

Roger You would have made a good Swift truck driver. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by 1 Patriot-of-many View Post
    Careful there. My brother used to drive for Swift.

Krupski, as far as GPS goes, congratulations. Just remember - take what they say with a grain of salt. Like all computers, they ain't perfect !!
    “I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted. The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

Quote Originally Posted by JTHunter View Post
    Careful there. My brother used to drive for Swift.

Krupski, as far as GPS goes, congratulations. Just remember - take what they say with a grain of salt. Like all computers, they ain't perfect !!

NOTHING could be worse than my navigation skills. If the GPS is right only 5% of the time, that's still a big improvement!

Sorry I don't get it. What is a "Swift truck driver"?

Quote Originally Posted by Krupski View Post
    With over 23,000 trucks, Swift Transportation™ is the largest common carrier in the United States, so basically it's the BIGGEST trucking company in the nation.

Don't let GPS become a total crutch. Everyone should look at a map, even a digital one, and figure their course out for themself once in a while.

Quote Originally Posted by NAPOTS View Post
    Don't let GPS become a total crutch. Everyone should look at a map, even a digital one, and figure their course out for themself once in a while.
    Definitely !!
    In the summer of '66, we were on an extended family trip out West. We had already been to Royal Gorge, Black Canyon of the Gunnison, Vegas & Lake Mead, Mesa Verde, Grand Canyon, and Disneyland. Our Dad flew back as his time was up and our mother spent the next 6 weeks hauling us around in a 7 y.o. car pulling a 21' Holiday Rambler travel trailer. As Mom was driving and I was the older brother, she taught me to read maps and plan routes (with her help), but by the end of the trip, I barely needed any help.
    It was the trip of a lifetime as we also saw Hearst Castle, SF (while it was still CLEAN), Muir Woods, Yosemite, King's Canyon, Sequoia, Arches, and Canyonlands (which had just opened the year before). I have used my map reading skills ever since and I don't have a GPS. The problems I'm having is finding paper maps. We used to get them for free (or cheaply) at gas stations but that died with rotary phones. I prefer the maps where there is only 1 or 2 states (KY & TN or VT & NH or ND & SD) as they had details the big book-like atlases can't show you.
    “I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted. The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

Quote Originally Posted by tank_monkey View Post
    With over 23,000 trucks, Swift Transportation™ is the largest common carrier in the United States, so basically it's the BIGGEST trucking company in the nation.

Got it. Thanks.

Team GunsNet Bronze 10/2014

most states print a new highway map each year. contact their tourism commission. i've never had to pay for one yet.

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2013 alismith's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kuntryboy View Post
    most states print a new highway map each year. contact their tourism commission. i've never had to pay for one yet.
    You can find them at the visitor's centers on the state boundaries on major highways. Free there, too.
    "Valar morghulis; valar dohaeris."

Commucrats are most efficient at converting sins and crimes to accidents or misunderstandings.-Oswald Bastable

Making good people helpless won't make bad people harmless.

Freedom isn't free.

"Attitude is the paintbrush that colors our world." TV Series, Haven.

My Spirit Animal has rabies.

I'd rather be an American than a Democrat.

"If you can make a man afraid, you can control him" Netflix Series, The Irregulars

Team GunsNet Platinum 02/2015 davepool's Avatar

I had an uncle like you rodger, he could get lost on his own farm.

He was an avid hunter and a,damn good one, and after sending 2 search parties to find his ass , i got "assigned" the job of hunting with him.

Like i said he was a good hunter and we always got what we went after, but argued all the way back to the truck about which way to go.

I was the happiest guy in the world when GPS came out... he still got lost cause he would forget to take it with him

Guns Network Lifetime Member #2

Quote Originally Posted by Krupski View Post
    https://www.pinterest.com/96nole/swift-fails/

Now I get it!