Thread: Ruger introduces new Ruger 57 (5.7x28) !!!

Indiana, a state that is trying to remain free.

Ruger introduces new Ruger 57 (5.7x28) !!!

Looks like finally someone has come out with some competition for the FNH Five seveN!

https://ruger.com/micros/57/

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2013 alismith's Avatar

What niche is the 5.7 designed to fill?
    "Valar morghulis; valar dohaeris."

Commucrats are most efficient at converting sins and crimes to accidents or misunderstandings.-Oswald Bastable

Making good people helpless won't make bad people harmless.

Freedom isn't free.

"Attitude is the paintbrush that colors our world." TV Series, Haven.

My Spirit Animal has rabies.

I'd rather be an American than a Democrat.

"If you can make a man afraid, you can control him" Netflix Series, The Irregulars

I am hoping that with more manufactures making firearms in 5.7x28 the cost/price of the ammo will come down.

Obviously you have never fired a Five seveN or PS-90.

Team GunsNet Gold 07/2012 / Super Moderator Gunreference1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by alismith View Post
    The 5.7 x 28mm cartridge was created at the request of NATO as a replacement for the 9mm Parabellum cartridge. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FN_5.7×28mm

Steve
    After today, it's all historical.

Quote Originally Posted by imanaknut View Post
    I am hoping that with more manufactures making firearms in 5.7x28 the cost/price of the ammo will come down.

Obviously you have never fired a Five seveN or PS-90.
    Nope. Probably never will, either.... It doesn't appear overly interesting to me.... I'll stick with the calibers I already have.

Commucrats are most efficient at converting sins and crimes to accidents or misunderstandings.-Oswald Bastable

Freedom isn't free.

"If you can make a man afraid, you can control him" Netflix Series, The Irregulars

Team GunsNet Platinum 02/2015 davepool's Avatar

The "cute" niche. My wife thinks the little blue-tipped bullets are cute

Actually she shoots my FN 5.7 better than any other pistol she's tried, pretty mild recoil and more accurate than any of my 9mms

Quote Originally Posted by davepool View Post
    The "cute" niche. My wife thinks the little blue-tipped bullets are cute

Actually she shoots my FN 5.7 better than any other pistol she's tried, pretty mild recoil and more accurate than any of my 9mms
    Well, guns can be "sexy," so I guess bullets are allowed to be "cute."

Freedom isn't free.

Ballistically, what are the specs on this round? MV, KE, bullet weight, etc. And how does its terminal performance compare other calibers such as .380, 9mm, .38 Sp., .357 Mag, etc.
    “I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted. The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

Quote Originally Posted by JTHunter View Post
    Ballistically, what are the specs on this round? MV, KE, bullet weight, etc. And how does its terminal performance compare other calibers such as .380, 9mm, .38 Sp., .357 Mag, etc.
    I think it's supposed to be comparable to 9 mm. in terminal performance....

Freedom isn't free.

The round currently not "legally" available to we the people is devastating. Just ask those at Fort Hood that unfortunately found out first hand. I am hoping that with others coming out with their version of the 5.7x28 which closes in on the round our military can have, but we can't.

Team GunsNet Gold 07/2012 / Super Moderator Gunreference1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JTHunter View Post
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FN_5.7...Specifications

Steve
    After today, it's all historical.

PA, where the cold is only matched by the isolation
    I'm surprised nobody could say off hand.

Basically the same as .30 carbine. A cartridge for people who's main job isn't to carry a gun, but designed with the intention of poking through soft body armor.

Edited to add this is not the first non-FN offered in 5.7, Excel Arms has made both a pistol and carbine chambered in it for years

I've had one of the pistols for awhile, basically a super beefy target style pistol on growth hormone. I would describe it as a bad design built with good quality.
    Last edited by raxar; 01-08-2020 at 06:05 PM.

Team GunsNet Platinum 02/2015 davepool's Avatar

I looked into re-loading the 5.7 a while back, components are no problem, dies aren't too expensive, at about 6 grains per charge you make over a thousand rounds with a pound of powder, but the damn thing is so small it could be very aggravating for an old guy with arthritis and not likely to gain much advantage over factory ammo

PA, where the cold is only matched by the isolation
    Quote Originally Posted by davepool View Post
    I looked into re-loading the 5.7 a while back, components are no problem, dies aren't too expensive, at about 6 grains per charge you make over a thousand rounds with a pound of powder, but the damn thing is so small it could be very aggravating for an old guy with arthritis and not likely to gain much advantage over factory ammo
    I can say with absolute sincerity that reloading 5.7 is not worth the effort. The difference between starting and max loads for some powders is half of a grain, and data is kind of a pain in the ass to find in the first place. Since the guns that use it are all unlocked blowbacks the shoulder on once fired brass gets pushed really far forward, to the point its damn near impossible to get it back to where factory ammo is. And since the brass gets worked so much between firing and resizing case life is extremely short, You're lucky to get two reloads out of a case. My dies are currently out of commission with a case neck that ripped off inside them.

Quote Originally Posted by Gunreference1 View Post
    Thanks Steve. Good reading.
    What I found interesting is that, if it is supposed to be a replacement for the 9mm, the 5.7 IS a loser in terms of both bullet weight (40 gr. vs. 124 gr.) and muzzle energy but not by much (472 vs. 461). And that ME might depend on the guns firing said loads. The 5.7 DID have a higher MV - 1950 vs. 1310 but I would have expected that with a bullet only 1/3rd the weight.
    Do those trade-offs make it a viable replacement?
    I wonder.
    “I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted. The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

With the round invented for a very close quarters weapon, the P90, the 5.7x28 being a short range round makes sense. 50 rounds in a very compact rifle (which our new constitution does not allow we the people to own, makes a great building clearing weapon. It's evolution to a pistol was just to be expected.