Thread: BREAKING: Colt Brings Back the Python .357 Revolver

Team GunsNet Gold 07/2012 / Super Moderator Gunreference1's Avatar

Post BREAKING: Colt Brings Back the Python .357 Revolver

After today, it's all historical.

Team Gunsnet Platinum 06/2016 ltorlo64's Avatar

I'd like one but I am not sure I am willing to spend ~ $1500 bucks for one.
    "Nothing ever gets so bad that government "help" can't make it worse." Pat Garrett, March 22, 2014

"HATE IS GOOD, WHEN ITS DIRECTED AT EVIL." PROBASCO, April 20, 2012

I tried to push the envelope, but found that it was stationery.

Have you heard about the new corduroy pillows? They're making head lines!

NRA Endowment Member

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2013 alismith's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ltorlo64 View Post
    I'd like one but I am not sure I am willing to spend ~ $1500 bucks for one.
    A friend of mine, who used to be the armorer for the Sheriff's Dept., told me to stay away from Colt double action revolvers. He said they are almost impossible to fix if something goes wrong with the internals. He said that S&W built a much better revolver and they were much easier to maintain and keep working.

I've always taken his words to heart and, even though Colt makes some fine-looking revolvers, I never bought any of their revolvers.

$1500 is a whole lot to spend on a gun that isn't as good as a S&W at the same price....

Now, SA is a different matter....
    "Valar morghulis; valar dohaeris."

Commucrats are most efficient at converting sins and crimes to accidents or misunderstandings.-Oswald Bastable

Making good people helpless won't make bad people harmless.

Freedom isn't free.

"Attitude is the paintbrush that colors our world." TV Series, Haven.

My Spirit Animal has rabies.

I'd rather be an American than a Democrat.

"If you can make a man afraid, you can control him" Netflix Series, The Irregulars

Mustang's are easier to fix then Ferrari's.
    However, the Ferrari gives better performance.
    There are now several Master pistolsmiths who do factory level repairs to the older Colt models like the Python.

The pictures of the new Python indicate clearly that the frame is a Mark III-King Cobra that's been modified to look like a Python "I" frame.
    The front side plate screw is in the same place as the Mark III-KC, the trigger is not as curved as a Python, and the hammer looks different.

Exactly what kind of action it has is unknown, but it may be a transfer bar action. Whatever, it does look very, very much like the original Python.

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2013 alismith's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dfariswheel View Post
    Mustang's are easier to fix then Ferrari's.
    However, the Ferrari gives better performance.
    Which proves the point I was trying to make. Police forces use far more Mustangs than they do Ferrari's because the upkeep on a Ferrari is much harder and more expensive to maintain.

My friend was speaking from an entirely utilitarian point of view. S&W's were far easier to maintain than Colts were.
    "Valar morghulis; valar dohaeris."

Commucrats are most efficient at converting sins and crimes to accidents or misunderstandings.-Oswald Bastable

Making good people helpless won't make bad people harmless.

Freedom isn't free.

"Attitude is the paintbrush that colors our world." TV Series, Haven.

My Spirit Animal has rabies.

I'd rather be an American than a Democrat.

"If you can make a man afraid, you can control him" Netflix Series, The Irregulars

Site Admin & **Team Gunsnet Silver 12/2012** Richard Simmons's Avatar

I’d be all over a new one if it were a 2.5” or 3” version. You can’t buy a Python right now for less than $2000 and up unless you’re lucky as all get out or it’s thrashed. $1,500 for a brand new Python seems like a good deal in comparison.
    Gunsnet member since 1999
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

Team Gunsnet Platinum 06/2016 ltorlo64's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Simmons View Post
    I’d be all over a new one if it were a 2.5” or 3” version. You can’t buy a Python right now for less than $2000 and up unless you’re lucky as all get out or it’s thrashed. $1,500 for a brand new Python seems like a good deal in comparison.
    The reviews I have been reading and watching are making me reconsider my first take. $1500 is still a lot but if it is as good as is being reported maybe I should save up for one.
    "Nothing ever gets so bad that government "help" can't make it worse." Pat Garrett, March 22, 2014

"HATE IS GOOD, WHEN ITS DIRECTED AT EVIL." PROBASCO, April 20, 2012

I tried to push the envelope, but found that it was stationery.

Have you heard about the new corduroy pillows? They're making head lines!

NRA Endowment Member

Site Admin & **Team Gunsnet Silver 12/2012** Richard Simmons's Avatar

I’ve read where some folks are placing orders for these at around $1,350.00. We’ll have to see who starts selling them at MSRP, below MSRP our who decides to take on a big premium. Supply and demand.
    Gunsnet member since 1999
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

I finally saw a picture of the action....

It may still be a transfer bar system, but it looks like Colt took the old 1890's Colt design and updated it to use modern manufacturing methods and to make a much stronger action.

Interestingly, Colt didn't use the easier to machine straight line side plate cuts, they kept the old Colt curved cuts.
    There's a modified "Vee" spring to power the hammer and the rebound-like lever that powers the hand.
    It clearly looks like a combined Mark III-King Cobra system with modified "E&I" model action parts.

I suspect that Colt will have a real winner with this.
    No it isn't an original Python, so there'll be a lot of Colt hate, but the younger shooters who've heard about the legendary Python but couldn't pay used car prices for an original are probably going to go big on the new stronger Python at an affordable price.

I suspect that Colt will have a real winner with this.
    No it isn't an original Python, so there'll be a lot of Colt hate, but the younger shooters who've heard about the legendary Python but couldn't pay used car prices for an original are probably going to go big on the new stronger Python at an affordable price.
    Not to try to derail the topic but that is where I feel I ended up with my Model 27 "classic". I understand it has a number of things which aren't correct for a model 27 such as the transfer bar safety, lock hole, no pinned barrel, no recessed cylinders (some of the versions of the 27 didn't have them either but the most desirable ones did) but I do like the pistol and enjoy shooting it, so much so that I bought a 586 to compliment it.

I'd love a python but won't be able to get one of the new ones in my state.

If I may ask, why the remark on the transfer bar safety? Are they unreliable or just not correct for a python?

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

I've got a 6" Blued Python that came from the factory Magnaported. I always considered it my most accurate wheel gun other than my Model 57 S&W. Anybody wanting to pay me $2K can have it.

I don't think S&W has ever made a transfer bar action revolver.
    All S&W models still use the old rebounding hammer and hammer block safety system.

Bigger companies like S&W simply can't sell an exact replica of an old top of the line revolver due to the insane price they'd have to charge.
    So, they do as good a job as they can with the modern designs altered to at least look like the originals.

The older Colt revolvers also used rebounding hammer/hammer blocking actions.
    The later models like the Mark III and later were transfer bar safety-ignition designs, but almost all revolver brands designed after the Colt Mark III of 1969 have used a coil mainspring along with the transfer bar design.
    These feel nothing like a leaf spring action as used by the S&W "K" frame and larger models, or the old Colt actions of all sizes.
    The new Python has a leaf spring to power it and, while it probably won't feel like the original Python it will have a better feel and likely won't have the stacking feel of the old Colt triggers.

A lot of people who didn't grow up with the old stacking feel of the Colt's didn't like the feel and preferred the S&W.
    I suspect Colt has solved that problem.
    With a stronger action that isn't going to give any problems with timing from wear or hard shooting, a good trigger, and the looks of the original, I think Colt will have a best seller with the new Python.

I think this will put an end to the constant Colt haters claiming that Colt is stopping civilian sales, or is closing their doors for good, or is having all their guns made in China.

I don't think S&W has ever made a transfer bar action revolver.
    All S&W models still use the old rebounding hammer and hammer block safety system.

Bigger companies like S&W simply can't sell an exact replica of an old top of the line revolver due to the insane price they'd have to charge.
    So, they do as good a job as they can with the modern designs altered to at least look like the originals.

The older Colt revolvers also used rebounding hammer/hammer blocking actions.
    The later models like the Mark III and later were transfer bar safety-ignition designs, but almost all revolver brands designed after the Colt Mark III of 1969 have used a coil mainspring along with the transfer bar design.
    These feel nothing like a leaf spring action as used by the S&W "K" frame and larger models, or the old Colt actions of all sizes.
    The new Python has a leaf spring to power it and, while it probably won't feel like the original Python it will have a better feel and likely won't have the stacking feel of the old Colt triggers.

A lot of people who didn't grow up with the old stacking feel of the Colt's didn't like the feel and preferred the S&W.
    I suspect Colt has solved that problem.
    With a stronger action that isn't going to give any problems with timing from wear or hard shooting, a good trigger, and the looks of the original, I think Colt will have a best seller with the new Python.

I think this will put an end to the constant Colt haters claiming that Colt is stopping civilian sales, or is closing their doors for good, or is having all their guns made in China.
    you are right, my 27-9 has a bar in it and I thought it was a transfer bar but it is a hammer block; it does not connect the hammer to the firing pin.

Team GunsNet Gold 07/2012 / Super Moderator Gunreference1's Avatar

After today, it's all historical.