Thread: Red Flag Fail in Colorado...

Team GunsNet Silver 03/2014 sevlex's Avatar

Thumbs up Red Flag Fail in Colorado...

There have been four Red Flag actions since the law went into effect on Jan 1. One judge out on the plains refused to enforce one.

https://denver.cbslocal.com/2020/01/...tion-request/#

For First Time, A Colorado Judge Denies Confiscation Request Under Red Flag Law
    By Rick Sallinger
    January 12, 2020 at 11:54 pm
    Filed Under:Colorado News, Limon News, Red Flag Law

(CBS4) – For the first time, a judge has denied a request to take away a man’s guns under Colorado’s new red flag law. A Limon woman claimed a man who she had a relationship with threatened her with a gun and filed the request.

Since the law took effect, the red flag law has had many gun owners seeing red. At least four requests have been filed since the first of 2020; CBS4 is aware of them being filed in Denver, in Larimer County and this one — in Lincoln County.

Many gun owners, like Jak Gruenberg, despise it.

“Red flag laws just allow for harassment of legal gun owners,” he said.

The law allows guns to be taken away from those who present a danger to themselves or others. The decision is up to a judge.

CBS4 obtained the request for a temporary extreme risk protection order filed in Limon. A woman wrote she was getting “verbal and physical threats” with a handgun from the man identified in the order.

She said he had a problem with alcohol and marijuana. The judge denied the request to take his guns.

“I think it’s a good thing. I think any other new law you’re going to have a lot of case law to determine exactly where the lines are,” said Gruenberg, a gun owner not associated with the case.

Lincoln County is one of the many counties that has indicated it would not honor the Red Flag law.

But the denial led state Rep. Alec Garnett, a co-sponsor of the bill, to say this shows it is being applied properly. Gun owners at Bristlecone Shooting, a range in Lakewood, told CBS4 they are split on that.

“I don’t think it’s going to be applied fairly. Anybody can say pretty much what they want about anybody else,” John Shearer told CBS4’s Rick Sallinger.

Rory Coyne, who bought his first gun over the weekend, had a different view.

“Well if a person is not right in the head they shouldn’t have a gun — if they re sick in the head,” he said.

The judge’s order explaining the denial of the woman’s red flag request was not made public at the time of CBS4’s request.
    Rick Sallinger
    Telling the truth is treason in an empire of lies.

WWG1WGA

Nothing good ever comes from a pinched sphincter

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2013 alismith's Avatar

In the dark land of lunacy, one common sense judge stands out like a beacon of light.
    "Valar morghulis; valar dohaeris."

Commucrats are most efficient at converting sins and crimes to accidents or misunderstandings.-Oswald Bastable

Making good people helpless won't make bad people harmless.

Freedom isn't free.

"Attitude is the paintbrush that colors our world." TV Series, Haven.

My Spirit Animal has rabies.

I'd rather be an American than a Democrat.

"If you can make a man afraid, you can control him" Netflix Series, The Irregulars

Huzzah!
    "And how we burned in the camps later thinking, what would things have been like, if every security operative, when he went out at night to make an arrest, had been uncertain, whether he would return alive and had to say good-bye to his family?"

Team GunsNetwork PLATINUM 10/2012 rci2950's Avatar

false claims on this law should be punished the same as a false rape charge.
    Gunsnet member since 2002
    Salt Water Cowboy - Dolphin 38

Guns Network Contributor 01/2015 Altarboy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by rci2950 View Post
    false claims on this law should be punished the same as a false rape charge.
    Agreed.

Indiana, a state that is trying to remain free.
    Actually my horrible nature would like to see false claims handles like "mass murder" with extreme prejudice.

Actually, whether they are groundless or real, the Dims get their way....a person is separated from their guns.

Win-win either way for them.

Commucrats are most efficient at converting sins and crimes to accidents or misunderstandings.-Oswald Bastable

Freedom isn't free.

"If you can make a man afraid, you can control him" Netflix Series, The Irregulars

Quote Originally Posted by alismith View Post
    In the dark land of lunacy, one common sense judge stands out like a beacon of light.
    Good for this judge !
    Let's hope the next use is as correct as this one and in a different county.
    “I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted. The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

Actually, whether they are groundless or real, the Dims get their way....a person is separated from their guns.

Win-win either way for them.
    The article doesn't say anything about this man losing his guns.
    “I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted. The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

Quote Originally Posted by JTHunter View Post
    The article doesn't say anything about this man losing his guns.
    I know. The ONLY reason he didn't is because of this judge. As far as I know, in all other states where this law is in effect, no other judge went against the government. All those people have lost their guns.

Remember why this law was enacted in the first place; it's to disarm as many people as possible while making it look like a crime has been prevented and peoples' lives were saved. It's nothing more than a smoke screen.

Freedom isn't free.

I know. The ONLY reason he didn't is because of this judge. As far as I know, in all other states where this law is in effect, no other judge went against the government. All those people have lost their guns.

Remember why this law was enacted in the first place; it's to disarm as many people as possible while making it look like a crime has been prevented and peoples' lives were saved. It's nothing more than a smoke screen.
    AGREED !!