Thread: Did Everyone Get Their Final Windows 7 Updates Today?

Team GunsNet Silver 03/2014 sevlex's Avatar

Question Did Everyone Get Their Final Windows 7 Updates Today?

I had three machines to do. Now, it's back to the basement for 2 of them.

Maybe one will be a Linux plaything.
    Telling the truth is treason in an empire of lies.

WWG1WGA

Nothing good ever comes from a pinched sphincter

Indiana, a state that is trying to remain free.
    As long as Microsoft leaves me alone I will be happy to play on an out of date system. When I was forced to "upgrade" from XP to 7 I had to pitch my printer as the manufacture didn't have a compatible driver. If I get forced to 10 I will be force to their competition.

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2013 alismith's Avatar

Crap, I'm still using my XP right now. Not worried about upgrading anything. If this dies out, I'll switch over to my iPad and use that.
    "Valar morghulis; valar dohaeris."

Commucrats are most efficient at converting sins and crimes to accidents or misunderstandings.-Oswald Bastable

Making good people helpless won't make bad people harmless.

Freedom isn't free.

"Attitude is the paintbrush that colors our world." TV Series, Haven.

My Spirit Animal has rabies.

I'd rather be an American than a Democrat.

"If you can make a man afraid, you can control him" Netflix Series, The Irregulars

Quote Originally Posted by imanaknut View Post
    As long as Microsoft leaves me alone I will be happy to play on an out of date system. When I was forced to "upgrade" from XP to 7 I had to pitch my printer as the manufacture didn't have a compatible driver. If I get forced to 10 I will be force to their competition.
    Ditto. My HP printer that I had been using from 98 through XP had to be replaced. Same for a recording program called CoolEdit 96 that I used to record music from the TV so I could burn them to CDs.

Quote Originally Posted by alismith View Post
    Crap, I'm still using my XP right now. Not worried about upgrading anything. If this dies out, I'll switch over to my iPad and use that.
    So is my parent. We just had to replace the power supply to get it running again as they are 90, dealing with replacing their scanner and printer along with a new computer, just wasn't in the picture.
    And that XP machine used to be mine! When their XP Home system died, they took my XP Pro and I had to get 7.
    Last edited by JTHunter; 01-13-2020 at 11:01 PM.
    “I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted. The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

Can't disable "telemetry" or updates in 10, let alone most all newer pc hardware has a separate and invisible system running in parallel that watches everything you do or anything, no software needed.
    "And how we burned in the camps later thinking, what would things have been like, if every security operative, when he went out at night to make an arrest, had been uncertain, whether he would return alive and had to say good-bye to his family?"

Well I am getting my final updates as I type this. From what I have read, continuing use of my PC using 7 will be like normal except for the fact that hackers love to attack Windows machines. Don't like the idea that if I "upgrade" to 10 I might lose some valuable programs, and my Office suite will not work on 10. I understand why microsoft does this, but even though it might piss off a few thousand customers, they really don't care.

Quote Originally Posted by sevlex View Post
    I had three machines to do. Now, it's back to the basement for 2 of them.

Maybe one will be a Linux plaything.
    Don't use Windoze. Therefore, no security problems.
    Gentlemen may prefer Blondes, but Real Men prefer Redheads!

Well I am getting my final updates as I type this. From what I have read, continuing use of my PC using 7 will be like normal except for the fact that hackers love to attack Windows machines. Don't like the idea that if I "upgrade" to 10 I might lose some valuable programs, and my Office suite will not work on 10. I understand why microsoft does this, but even though it might piss off a few thousand customers, they really don't care.
    Why people continue to use Windoze is beyond me.

I mean, ask anyone "which do you prefer? free and secure, or several hundred $$$ and security problems every other day?"

Every Windoze user is a beta tester that has to pay for the privilege of finding bugs for Microshaft.

As a thank-you, they insert spyware into your computer and log every keystroke and everything you say if you have a microphone.

"Hey NSA... can you hear me now?".

Quote Originally Posted by Krupski View Post
    Why people continue to use Windoze is beyond me.

I mean, ask anyone "which do you prefer? free and secure, or several hundred $$$ and security problems every other day?"

Every Windoze user is a beta tester that has to pay for the privilege of finding bugs for Microshaft.

As a thank-you, they insert spyware into your computer and log every keystroke and everything you say if you have a microphone.

"Hey NSA... can you hear me now?".
    Just curious, what system do you use and do you have several hundred microsoft word and excel files that would be readable with your system? Trying to find a viable substitute.

Just curious, what system do you use and do you have several hundred microsoft word and excel files that would be readable with your system? Trying to find a viable substitute.
    Check out "OpenOffice.ORG" as they have "freeware" that can probably open and use Word and Excel. Those programs are not as "full-featured" as MS programs but WTH? I'm using "Office 2000" on a Windows 7 system.
    After this local shop repaired my old XP Pro that my parent is using, it occurred to me that they might be able to help with another "project". I have an unused XP Pro laptop that has been sitting for at least 2 years AND I have been reading about the various versions of LINUX for the last year or two. Lately, they have all been writing about the "Mint" desktop, so I got curious and asked if they could wipe the partitioned HD on that laptop and load some form of Linux like Mint or Ubuntu. They thought they could and for a very reasonable price. This way, I would have a system on which I could experiment and plan on how to migrate away from MS before this 7 dies.
    “I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted. The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

Guns Network Lifetime Member #2

Most of my use is for gaming. XP and 7 here to stay. I have one computer with 10/7/xp. I hate 10.

I use the "LibreOffice" suite. It's got everything MS Office has.

About the only problem one might have with Linux is if they are a hardcore gamer. Linux can certainly support gaming, problem is not many "popular" games are written for Linux (or Mac OS for that matter).

As far as what I use personally... I use Debian Linux on a 64 bit quad core machine.

Funny that Windows 7 updates were supposed to end Jan 14 yet I just had Windows TrustedInstaller run which is a Windows Module Installer.

I think it said if you have ms essentials installed on a win7 box, you'll get updates on ms essentials - and only those - til 2023.
    "And how we burned in the camps later thinking, what would things have been like, if every security operative, when he went out at night to make an arrest, had been uncertain, whether he would return alive and had to say good-bye to his family?"