Thread: Democrat says Second Amendment supporters in Virginia have 'mental issues'

Team GunsNetwork PLATINUM 10/2012 rci2950's Avatar

Democrat says Second Amendment supporters in Virginia have 'mental issues'

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/n...-mental-issues

Democrat says Second Amendment supporters in Virginia have 'mental issues'

A Virginia state senator called Second Amendment supporters "little kids" at a public meeting over the weekend as tensions between gun rights activists boil over in the state.

Sen. Dave Marsden, who supports Democratic presidential candidate Pete Buttigieg, is an advocate of proposed gun control legislation and is part of the Democratic majority in the Virginia General Assembly. Instead of apologizing for the insensitive remarks, Marsden called Second Amendment supporters "mentally ill" in a letter he sent following a meeting with constituents.

Mornings on the Mall host Mary Walter read part of Marsden's letter on-air and asked him to comment.

"Too many of your members and other 2A supporters appear to have mental health issues," Walter quoted.

"A significant number of these things were indicative of very unstable people, and this is worrisome," replied Marsden. "The responses I was getting were from people who showed signs of having mental health difficulties."

After Democrats swept into power in both chambers of the Virginia General Assembly last November, gun rights supporters passed Second Amendment sanctuary resolutions in 75 of 96 Virginia counties to protect their rights to own and bear firearms in their localities. Gov. Ralph Northam has threatened to deploy the National Guard if local police refuse to abide by new laws passed in this year's General Assembly session.

"The Second Amendment community is very, very concerned about us approaching the problem as a mental health problem, and this is just indicative of exactly what they're talking about. There are a lot of people who have mental health issues that are engaged on the current issues, and that's a concern to all of us," stated Marsden.

Marsden supports red flag laws that allow courts the ability to seize guns from citizens temporarily if someone believes they are a danger to themselves or others.

"What people are upset with, and I can absolutely see their point of view, is that you have your guns removed from you, and then you have to go through the court process, spend money for a lawyer, to prove your innocence in order to get your rightfully owned guns back from the government," said Walter. "It's a guilty-before-innocent law."

"This is in the hands of the courts, not the legislature or anyone else. We make these kinds of determinations all the time," responded Marsden.
    Gunsnet member since 2002
    Salt Water Cowboy - Dolphin 38

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2013 alismith's Avatar

Marsden needs to be tarred and feathered along with all the Dims in the VA legislature.
    "Valar morghulis; valar dohaeris."

Commucrats are most efficient at converting sins and crimes to accidents or misunderstandings.-Oswald Bastable

Making good people helpless won't make bad people harmless.

Freedom isn't free.

"Attitude is the paintbrush that colors our world." TV Series, Haven.

My Spirit Animal has rabies.

I'd rather be an American than a Democrat.

"If you can make a man afraid, you can control him" Netflix Series, The Irregulars

Guns Network Lifetime Member #2

All i can say is wow, we've come a long way baby. How did the redcoats win 200+ years later?

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2013 alismith's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 1 Patriot-of-many View Post
    All i can say is wow, we've come a long way baby. How did the redcoats win 200+ years later?
    Actually, Khrushchev was more a prophet than we thought.
    "Valar morghulis; valar dohaeris."

Commucrats are most efficient at converting sins and crimes to accidents or misunderstandings.-Oswald Bastable

Making good people helpless won't make bad people harmless.

Freedom isn't free.

"Attitude is the paintbrush that colors our world." TV Series, Haven.

My Spirit Animal has rabies.

I'd rather be an American than a Democrat.

"If you can make a man afraid, you can control him" Netflix Series, The Irregulars

Team Gunsnet Platinum 06/2016 ltorlo64's Avatar

Elections have consequences. Virginia is a great example of just how negative those consequences can be.
    "Nothing ever gets so bad that government "help" can't make it worse." Pat Garrett, March 22, 2014

"HATE IS GOOD, WHEN ITS DIRECTED AT EVIL." PROBASCO, April 20, 2012

I tried to push the envelope, but found that it was stationery.

Have you heard about the new corduroy pillows? They're making head lines!

NRA Endowment Member

Indiana, a state that is trying to remain free.
    Quote Originally Posted by ltorlo64 View Post
    Elections have consequences. Virginia is a great example of just how negative those consequences can be.
    It makes me wonder how many of those gun owning protesters that live in Virginia didn't vote in the election that led to this?

Quote Originally Posted by imanaknut View Post
    It makes me wonder how many of those gun owning protesters that live in Virginia didn't vote in the election that led to this?
    Good question.

Guns Network Lifetime Member #2

Quote Originally Posted by alismith View Post
    Actually, Khrushchev was more a prophet than we thought.
    That is true. A lot of people think he was talking about nuclear war when he said "we will bury you". What's happening today is exactly what he was referring to.

Quote Originally Posted by imanaknut View Post
    That's the problem. In California, if ALL Gun owners got off their asses and voted, it would have been a BIG block of the state. Not a majority but a big number. We have too many lazy dumbfucks in our ranks

Quote Originally Posted by ltorlo64 View Post
    So does the mass importation of foreigners from South America, India, and the Middle East. I was in VA a few years ago, and witnessed the importation first hand. Guess which party they tend to vote for. That's how the state of CA fell to the blues, and TX will turn blue as well within the next 20 years tops.

No surprise, truth is fiction to them, evil is good and good is evil, you get the idea.

"And how we burned in the camps later thinking, what would things have been like, if every security operative, when he went out at night to make an arrest, had been uncertain, whether he would return alive and had to say good-bye to his family?"