Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: Early American Militias: The Forgotten History of Freedmen Militias from 1776 until the Civil War

  1. #1
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    harms way
    Posts
    14,344

    Early American Militias: The Forgotten History of Freedmen Militias from 1776 until the Civil War

    The United States militia is enshrined in the Second Amendment of the Constitution. And while the militia movement of today is widely known, its history – and the history of independent Constitutional militias stretching back to the dawn of the republic – is far less well known.

    Why does this matter nowadays? Because understanding the historical roots of America's militias helps modern-day members appreciate the role they play in our federal system of government. Because since inception, militias have been tasked with stopping those who hold public office from exceeding their authority or those seeking to enact legislation outside of their operating charter – a crucial check against incremental encroachment by the state, as James Madison wrote in the Federalist Papers on January 29, 1788:

    "Besides the advantage of being armed, which the Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation, the existence of subordinate governments, to which the people are attached, and by which the militia officers are appointed, forms a barrier against the enterprises of ambition, more insurmountable than any which a simple government of any form can admit of."

    The militia is the final means of recourse in this cycle of self-government – and arguably the most important. Thus this is the first in a two-part historical series on America's militias. The second part, American Militias after the Civil War: From Black Codes to the Black Panthers and Beyond, looks at additional changes this American institution underwent from Reconstruction onwards.
    https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2020-...ntil-civil-war


    Interesting read!
    “The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first.”
    -Thomas Jefferson

  2. #2
    Administrator imanaknut's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Indiana, a state that is trying to remain free.
    Posts
    10,715
    Unfortunately our government is gotten totally out of control, regulating the light bulbs we can use, the amount of water a toilet can use, etc. Pretty sad and as large and as militarized as most federal agencies have gotten, even a well regulated militia necessary for the security of a free state cannot overcome the size our government has grown to.

  3. #3
    Team Guns Network Silver 04/2013 alismith's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    44th "Free" State
    Posts
    11,883
    Quote Originally Posted by 5.56NATO View Post
    Why does this matter nowadays? Because understanding the historical roots of America's militias helps modern-day members appreciate the role they play in our federal system of government. Because since inception, militias have been tasked with stopping those who hold public office from exceeding their authority or those seeking to enact legislation outside of their operating charter – a crucial check against incremental encroachment by the state, as James Madison wrote in the Federalist Papers on January 29, 1788:
    This is why the Dimocrats are so adamant in their hatred of gun owners. They know the militia was created to keep them in check and they'll do ANYTHING, even overthrow a duly elected President, to further their aim of creating a dictatorship where they are in charge.
    "Valar morghulis; valar dohaeris."

    "Never say, "gun control" but instead say, "victim disarmament." - L Neil Smith

    Making good people helpless won't make bad people harmless.

    Freedom isn't free.

    "Attitude is the paintbrush that colors our world." TV Series, Haven.

    My Spirit Animal has rabies.

    I'd rather be an American than a Democrat.

  4. #4
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    harms way
    Posts
    14,344
    Quote Originally Posted by alismith View Post
    This is why the Dimocrats are so adamant in their hatred of gun owners. They know the militia was created to keep them in check and they'll do ANYTHING, even overthrow a duly elected President, to further their aim of creating a dictatorship where they are in charge.
    Have you heard some of the stuff the bernie c suckers are spewing about what they want to do to us? One guy here, a gal over there, soon one comes to realise they're all thinking these same things, and it has to come from some central source because these people have been trained to refuse to think for themselves - as well as that the end justifies the means.

    https://www.thegatewaypundit.com/202...adical-people/
    “The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first.”
    -Thomas Jefferson

  5. #5
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    harms way
    Posts
    14,344
    Democrats Promise to Persecute Trump Supporters if They Take White House…

    THIS Should Scare the Hell Out of Every American: Democrats Promise to Persecute Trump Supporters if They Take White House… AND THEY MEAN IT!
    Jim Hoft by Jim Hoft January 29, 2020 683 Comments

    Far left Senator Elizabeth Warren (D-MA) unveiled a new campaign plan Tuesday. She must have come up with this idea while sitting through hours of sham impeachment testimony in the US Senate.

    Warren’s plan calls for the creation of a Justice Department task force to investigate and prosecute corruption and immigration “violations” committed by the Trump administration. This plan is hatched while the Democrats/media excuse the Biden corruption entirely.
    https://www.thegatewaypundit.com/202...-they-mean-it/
    “The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first.”
    -Thomas Jefferson

  6. #6
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    harms way
    Posts
    14,344
    Eight Iowa Counties Have Total Registration Rates Larger Than Eligible Voter Population – More Than 18,600 Extra Names on Voter Rolls
    Judicial Watch announced that eight Iowa counties have more voter registrations than their eligible voting-age population. According to Judicial Watch’s analysis of data released by the U.S. Election Assistance Commission (EAC) in 2019 and the most recent U.S. Census Bureau’s five-year American Community Survey, eight Iowa counties are on the list of 378 counties nationwide that have more voter registrations than citizens living there who are old enough to vote, i.e., counties where registration rates exceed 100%. These 378 counties combined had about 2.5 million registrations over the 100%-registered mark. In Iowa, there are at least 18,658 “extra names” on the voting rolls in the eight counties at issue.
    https://www.thegatewaypundit.com/202...n-voter-rolls/

    apparently magic is the cause
    “The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first.”
    -Thomas Jefferson

  7. #7
    Team Guns Network Silver 04/2013 alismith's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    44th "Free" State
    Posts
    11,883
    Quote Originally Posted by 5.56NATO View Post
    Eight Iowa Counties Have Total Registration Rates Larger Than Eligible Voter Population – More Than 18,600 Extra Names on Voter Rolls
    Judicial Watch announced that eight Iowa counties have more voter registrations than their eligible voting-age population. According to Judicial Watch’s analysis of data released by the U.S. Election Assistance Commission (EAC) in 2019 and the most recent U.S. Census Bureau’s five-year American Community Survey, eight Iowa counties are on the list of 378 counties nationwide that have more voter registrations than citizens living there who are old enough to vote, i.e., counties where registration rates exceed 100%. These 378 counties combined had about 2.5 million registrations over the 100%-registered mark. In Iowa, there are at least 18,658 “extra names” on the voting rolls in the eight counties at issue.
    https://www.thegatewaypundit.com/202...n-voter-rolls/

    apparently magic is the cause
    Yeah, and I'll bet they're all Republicans, too.....
    "Valar morghulis; valar dohaeris."

    "Never say, "gun control" but instead say, "victim disarmament." - L Neil Smith

    Making good people helpless won't make bad people harmless.

    Freedom isn't free.

    "Attitude is the paintbrush that colors our world." TV Series, Haven.

    My Spirit Animal has rabies.

    I'd rather be an American than a Democrat.

  8. #8
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    harms way
    Posts
    14,344
    Oddly enough the republican machine in Iowa is calling this fake news, but Judicial Watch is usually 100 percent accurate on what they report.
    “The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first.”
    -Thomas Jefferson

  9. #9
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    harms way
    Posts
    14,344
    Washington Post Colludes with Tech Giants in Effort to Deplatform Tom Fitton, Judicial Watch For Posting Accurate Data on Iowa Voting Rolls
    The Iowa Secretary of State refuted Judicial Watch and attacked the watchdog group on Twitter.

    Tom Fitton responded to the Iowa Secretary of State and stood by his organization’s data analysis.

    Our 2019 data is accurate. Today's numbers released by your agency still show voter registration rates that are way too high. For example, using your numbers, Dallas County is at 106% and Johnson County at about 100%. https://t.co/nhqcIzZ4ln

    — Tom Fitton (@TomFitton) February 3, 2020
    https://www.thegatewaypundit.com/202...-voting-rolls/
    “The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first.”
    -Thomas Jefferson

  10. #10
    Team Guns Network Silver 04/2013 alismith's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    44th "Free" State
    Posts
    11,883
    Quote Originally Posted by 5.56NATO View Post
    Washington Post Colludes with Tech Giants in Effort to Deplatform Tom Fitton, Judicial Watch For Posting Accurate Data on Iowa Voting Rolls
    The Iowa Secretary of State refuted Judicial Watch and attacked the watchdog group on Twitter.

    Tom Fitton responded to the Iowa Secretary of State and stood by his organization’s data analysis.

    Our 2019 data is accurate. Today's numbers released by your agency still show voter registration rates that are way too high. For example, using your numbers, Dallas County is at 106% and Johnson County at about 100%. https://t.co/nhqcIzZ4ln

    — Tom Fitton (@TomFitton) February 3, 2020
    https://www.thegatewaypundit.com/202...-voting-rolls/
    Wow! 106% means that their voters were really serious about voting....
    "Valar morghulis; valar dohaeris."

    "Never say, "gun control" but instead say, "victim disarmament." - L Neil Smith

    Making good people helpless won't make bad people harmless.

    Freedom isn't free.

    "Attitude is the paintbrush that colors our world." TV Series, Haven.

    My Spirit Animal has rabies.

    I'd rather be an American than a Democrat.

  11. #11
    Administrator imanaknut's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Indiana, a state that is trying to remain free.
    Posts
    10,715
    And they wonder why Indiana requires photo ID to vote. In today's electronic age, photo ID should be required everywhere.

  12. #12
    Team GunsNet Platinum 02/2015 davepool's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Phoenix,Az
    Posts
    3,882
    Quote Originally Posted by alismith View Post
    Wow! 106% means that their voters were really serious about voting....
    They should be able to do better than that, my coaches always told me to put out 110% if i wanted to win

  13. #13
    Team Gunsnet Silver 02/14 - Moderator recon's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    NH
    Posts
    4,121
    Quote Originally Posted by imanaknut View Post
    And they wonder why Indiana requires photo ID to vote. In today's electronic age, photo ID should be required everywhere.
    Yes! That should be nation wide! Everyone that has a drivers license has a photo on it.
    Buy It Cheap!
    Stack It Deep!

    Original Member-July-1999!

  14. #14
    Team Guns Network Silver 04/2013 alismith's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    44th "Free" State
    Posts
    11,883
    Quote Originally Posted by recon View Post
    Yes! That should be nation wide! Everyone that has a drivers license has a photo on it.
    But, not everyone who has a driver's license is a citizen. Some states hand them out just because you're shaped like a human.
    "Valar morghulis; valar dohaeris."

    "Never say, "gun control" but instead say, "victim disarmament." - L Neil Smith

    Making good people helpless won't make bad people harmless.

    Freedom isn't free.

    "Attitude is the paintbrush that colors our world." TV Series, Haven.

    My Spirit Animal has rabies.

    I'd rather be an American than a Democrat.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •