Results 1 to 20 of 20

Thread: Think China will still be an economic power after this virus burns out?

  1. #1
    Guns Network Contributor 01/2015 Altarboy's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    4,412

    Think China will still be an economic power after this virus burns out?

    From what I am seeing, they are a country in collapse. Their manufacturing is shut down. Their food supply is severely crippled ( trucks not hauling and no feed for starving fowl). The citizens have finally lost what little civility they had.
    The Harry Chen PhD twitter videos are ungodly.
    https://mobile.twitter.com/ischinar/...14301615165441

  2. #2
    Administrator imanaknut's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Indiana, a state that is trying to remain free.
    Posts
    10,927
    Really sad for the people, but the Chinese government that was on a skyrocket with their economic power has suddenly flamed out and if they aren't careful could have a major crash landing for the communist party.

  3. #3
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    harms way
    Posts
    14,740
    Meanwhile in Eurasia, locusts have ate most anything edible in Pakistan to the Indian border, and now they want some curry. If they keep going they could reach Europe. Case in point, Pakistan is already ruined, India is next, the price of food will rise dramatically in any country infested by locusts. That being said, some people are frying locusts and living off them.
    “The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first.”
    -Thomas Jefferson

  4. #4
    Guns Network Contributor 01/2015 Altarboy's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    4,412
    Frying locusts? Eww

  5. #5
    Team Guns Network Silver 04/2013 alismith's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    44th "Free" State
    Posts
    12,421
    Quote Originally Posted by 5.56NATO View Post
    Meanwhile in Eurasia, locusts have ate most anything edible in Pakistan to the Indian border, and now they want some curry. If they keep going they could reach Europe. Case in point, Pakistan is already ruined, India is next, the price of food will rise dramatically in any country infested by locusts. That being said, some people are frying locusts and living off them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Altarboy View Post
    Frying locusts? Eww
    As the Chinese newscaster stated, "The frying rocusts can cover a rot of ground. That's why they can do so much damage and eat so much food.

    If the rocusts didn't fry, they wood be much easier to contain and eradicate.

    But, as long as they fry, they can cause a rot of damage to crops and human food sources..."
    "Valar morghulis; valar dohaeris."

    "Never say, "gun control" but instead say, "victim disarmament." - L Neil Smith

    Making good people helpless won't make bad people harmless.

    Freedom isn't free.

    "Attitude is the paintbrush that colors our world." TV Series, Haven.

    My Spirit Animal has rabies.

    I'd rather be an American than a Democrat.

  6. #6
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    harms way
    Posts
    14,740
    Some car makers have already shut lines down because their supply chain starts in China, and nothing in China is moving right now, their production is down 80 percent and their export shipping is down 90 percent.

    https://www.bangkokpost.com/world/18...st-car-factory
    https://wqad.com/2020/02/09/the-coro...und-the-world/
    https://www.nytimes.com/2019/06/06/b...t-renault.html

    The Coronavirus Exposes the True Cost of the China Price
    The China price is the ultimatum Walmart buyers give vendors: this is the price we will pay – if your factory in the U.S. can’t meet it, we have one in China that will, and we’ll be happy to help you move there.
    The China price gave us an endless stream of cheap consumer goods. It was made possible by global supply chains, transoceanic containerized shipping, and just-in-time inventory management to control warehouse and carrying costs, all part of the logic of relentless cost-cutting Wall Street demanded of multinational corporations.
    But the coronavirus has its own logic, and it does not respect the logic of Wall Street bankers, logistics managers, and mass merchandisers.
    The pandemic has exposed the frailty of global supply chains and the fallacy of the management theory calling for intercontinental supply chains and just-in-time inventory management.
    https://www.breitbart.com/economy/20...e-china-price/


    this could end up worse than 2008
    Last edited by 5.56NATO; 02-09-2020 at 08:13 PM.
    “The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first.”
    -Thomas Jefferson

  7. #7
    Senior Member tank_monkey's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Kalifornia
    Posts
    6,215
    Now normally I wouldn't care what happens to China's economy. But China holds A LOT of our national debt. If they get desperate enough, they might try to cash in their notes and call in their debt. They can do that and if they're collapsing, they might have a 'I'll take everyone with me' mindset. Right now, no one would try to call in their debt, content enough that America is at least making the INTEREST PAYMENTS on time, but there are two scenarios where a massive creditor to America's national debt is would call in their markers 1) They lose confidence in our economy and our ability to pay off the principal in the future - which is VERY UNLIKELY or 2) they themselves are desperate and running out of money and need to bring a lot of their own wealth back into their own command economy.

  8. #8
    Guns Network Lifetime Member #2

    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    7,124
    Quote Originally Posted by alismith View Post
    As the Chinese newscaster stated, "The frying rocusts can cover a rot of ground. That's why they can do so much damage and eat so much food.

    If the rocusts didn't fry, they wood be much easier to contain and eradicate.

    But, as long as they fry, they can cause a rot of damage to crops and human food sources..."
    BWAHHAAAAAA

  9. #9
    Team GunsNet Platinum 02/2015 davepool's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Phoenix,Az
    Posts
    4,082
    I accidentally ate a locust riding my motorcycle near a corn field , didn't taste as bad as you would think. If i had to i would prefer to eat them raw, lot more juicy.

  10. #10
    Senior Member NAPOTS's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Posts
    3,326
    Quote Originally Posted by 5.56NATO View Post
    Some car makers have already shut lines down because their supply chain starts in China, and nothing in China is moving right now, their production is down 80 percent and their export shipping is down 90 percent.

    https://www.bangkokpost.com/world/18...st-car-factory
    https://wqad.com/2020/02/09/the-coro...und-the-world/
    https://www.nytimes.com/2019/06/06/b...t-renault.html

    The Coronavirus Exposes the True Cost of the China Price
    The China price is the ultimatum Walmart buyers give vendors: this is the price we will pay – if your factory in the U.S. can’t meet it, we have one in China that will, and we’ll be happy to help you move there.
    The China price gave us an endless stream of cheap consumer goods. It was made possible by global supply chains, transoceanic containerized shipping, and just-in-time inventory management to control warehouse and carrying costs, all part of the logic of relentless cost-cutting Wall Street demanded of multinational corporations.
    But the coronavirus has its own logic, and it does not respect the logic of Wall Street bankers, logistics managers, and mass merchandisers.
    The pandemic has exposed the frailty of global supply chains and the fallacy of the management theory calling for intercontinental supply chains and just-in-time inventory management.
    https://www.breitbart.com/economy/20...e-china-price/


    this could end up worse than 2008

    I work for a company that does a lot of manufacturing with a global supply chain. It is not a crisis yet but the disruption is densely a topic as were the tariffs. Personal opinion is we should buy domestic or at least north America as much as possible but I don't make the decisions

  11. #11
    Senior Member tank_monkey's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Kalifornia
    Posts
    6,215
    Quote Originally Posted by Altarboy View Post
    Frying locusts? Eww
    A lot of folks fry insects because deep frying covers a lot of the nasty taste and makes it palatable. I've traveled throughout Asia and have sampled deep fried insects. When it's in a nice crunchy batter, it actually makes it tolerable to a westerner

    The point of the quote is the MOST folks don't eat Locusts because they have a really bitter and awful taste. Africans could eat locusts because the locusts are common in the region, but they don't because they're so nasty. They're not poisonous, but boy do they taste bad!!! So if people are frying them and eating them, that's an act of last resort.

  12. #12
    Senior Member tank_monkey's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Kalifornia
    Posts
    6,215
    Quote Originally Posted by davepool View Post
    I accidentally ate a locust riding my motorcycle near a corn field , didn't taste as bad as you would think. If i had to i would prefer to eat them raw, lot more juicy.
    I think it depends on their diet. Corn Fed pests might taste better hahahaha. Ah, good old American superiority in our insects

  13. #13
    Senior Member tank_monkey's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Kalifornia
    Posts
    6,215
    Quote Originally Posted by NAPOTS View Post
    I work for a company that does a lot of manufacturing with a global supply chain. It is not a crisis yet but the disruption is densely a topic as were the tariffs. Personal opinion is we should buy domestic or at least north America as much as possible but I don't make the decisions
    Correct, but we're also not that bad off for our cheap goods either.

    When Trump threatened China with a massive tariff, there were three countries who jumped into the fray and told us that they would be HAPPY to ramp up and start making all of our cheap shit for us - The Philippines, Vietnam and Mexico. China realized that if they were knocked out of the market by Trump, OTHER third world countries were HAPPY to make factories and make our cheap stuff for us. The USA still holds all the cards

  14. #14
    Senior Member JTHunter's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    3,574
    Quote Originally Posted by 5.56NATO View Post
    Meanwhile in Eurasia, locusts have ate most anything edible in Pakistan to the Indian border, and now they want some curry. If they keep going they could reach Europe. Case in point, Pakistan is already ruined, India is next, the price of food will rise dramatically in any country infested by locusts. That being said, some people are frying locusts and living off them.
    Eurasia??
    The outbreak is in East Africa.
    The outbreak of desert locusts, considered the most dangerous locust species, also has affected parts of Kenya, Somalia, Ethiopia, Sudan, Djibouti and Eritrea and IGAD warns that parts of South Sudan and Uganda could be next.
    https://apnews.com/ff90a080929e65d35bc3001cde24c881
    “I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted. The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

  15. #15
    Senior Member tank_monkey's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Kalifornia
    Posts
    6,215
    Quote Originally Posted by JTHunter View Post
    Eurasia??
    The outbreak is in East Africa.
    LOL You're right!!!. I haven't heard that term in YEARS. I think Orwell's 1984 used that term. I think it's a stretch trying to tie CHINA to AFRICA. Sorry, nope.

  16. #16
    Senior Member NAPOTS's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Posts
    3,326
    Quote Originally Posted by tank_monkey View Post
    LOL You're right!!!. I haven't heard that term in YEARS. I think Orwell's 1984 used that term. I think it's a stretch trying to tie CHINA to AFRICA. Sorry, nope.
    I remember the term from school probably about when I was in middle school. I got them impression that some clever geography publisher was bothered that Europe and Asia are conjoined continents.

  17. #17
    Team GunsNet Bronze 10/2014

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    tennessee
    Posts
    523
    Quote Originally Posted by tank_monkey View Post
    A lot of folks fry insects because deep frying covers a lot of the nasty taste and makes it palatable. I've traveled throughout Asia and have sampled deep fried insects. When it's in a nice crunchy batter, it actually makes it tolerable to a westerner

    The point of the quote is the MOST folks don't eat Locusts because they have a really bitter and awful taste. Africans could eat locusts because the locusts are common in the region, but they don't because they're so nasty. They're not poisonous, but boy do they taste bad!!! So if people are frying them and eating them, that's an act of last resort.
    old world locusts, biblical ones, were grasshoppers. many years ago i tried fried grasshoppers and chocolate covered ants. the grasshoppers sorta taste like burnt bacon. the ants only taste like chocolate.

  18. #18
    Guns Network Contributor 01/2015 Altarboy's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    4,412
    I was listening to NPR news (yes, yes, I know) and they talked as if the worst of it is over and Chinese people are returning to work and it's almost business as usual there.

  19. #19
    Team Guns Network Silver 04/2013 alismith's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    44th "Free" State
    Posts
    12,421
    Quote Originally Posted by Altarboy View Post
    I was listening to NPR news (yes, yes, I know) and they talked as if the worst of it is over and Chinese people are returning to work and it's almost business as usual there.
    Don't forget that NPR is part of the major faux news propaganda media outlet that works for the Sociacrats.

    Believe the opposite of what they say and you'll be closer to the truth.
    "Valar morghulis; valar dohaeris."

    "Never say, "gun control" but instead say, "victim disarmament." - L Neil Smith

    Making good people helpless won't make bad people harmless.

    Freedom isn't free.

    "Attitude is the paintbrush that colors our world." TV Series, Haven.

    My Spirit Animal has rabies.

    I'd rather be an American than a Democrat.

  20. #20
    Senior Member JTHunter's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    3,574
    Quote Originally Posted by alismith View Post
    Don't forget that NPR is part of the major faux news propaganda media outlet that works for the Sociacrats.

    Believe the opposite of what they say and you'll be closer to the truth.
    Amen to that !
    “I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted. The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •