Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looks like the Stock Market has caught on to Covid-19.

Guns Network Contributor 01/2015 Altarboy's Avatar

Looks like the Stock Market has caught on to Covid-19.

Indiana, a state that is trying to remain free.
    Without checking the DOW industrials, I wonder how much of the drop is due to the pharma companies possibly having issues getting "stuff".

Quote Originally Posted by imanaknut View Post
    Without checking the DOW industrials, I wonder how much of the drop is due to the pharma companies possibly having issues getting "stuff".
    I always say, NEVER panic when the market takes a downturn. Too many folks PANIC and pull their money out at the same time, making it much worse

It's called a Hurricane hit (or something like that). When a big disaster hits, the markets ALL take a hit because people think that it will always be like this forever, which of course, doesn't make sense. Once things get back to normal, they slowly start buying again, but the damage is done to the markets. Hurricanes can be devastating and I think this epidemic CAN be horrific, but right now the most horrific thing is how governments are reacting versus the number of deaths, which is makes me wonder just how bad it is really.

I always hunker down and don't LOOK at my market portfolio. Only half of my retirement savings are in the stock market. The rest are in other things (financial) and I have more in physical investments and land investments.

I DO wonder if it's FAR worse than we're being told, like 'end of the world' kind of news that you just don't tell the general population because they'll just panic and burn everything down (like a meteor).

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2013 alismith's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tank_monkey View Post
    I always say, NEVER panic when the market takes a downturn. Too many folks PANIC and pull their money out at the same time, making it much worse

It's called a Hurricane hit (or something like that). When a big disaster hits, the markets ALL take a hit because people think that it will always be like this forever, which of course, doesn't make sense. Once things get back to normal, they slowly start buying again, but the damage is done to the markets. Hurricanes can be devastating and I think this epidemic CAN be horrific, but right now the most horrific thing is how governments are reacting versus the number of deaths, which is makes me wonder just how bad it is really.

I always hunker down and don't LOOK at my market portfolio. Only half of my retirement savings are in the stock market. The rest are in other things (financial) and I have more in physical investments and land investments.

I DO wonder if it's FAR worse than we're being told, like 'end of the world' kind of news that you just don't tell the general population because they'll just panic and burn everything down (like a meteor).
    If it comes from the Faux Media, it's always a safe bet to look at the opposite of what they're reporting and go with that. You'll be right far more times than you'll be wrong. It's, probably, no where near as bad as they're saying, anyway.

As always, the Faux Media is trying to take out Trump with this corona virus by stating he's not prepared and isn't doing enough to protect us. (Odd how they are concerned about our safety now and still won't support a wall to protect us from illegal criminals they're inviting in and setting up sanctuaries for. Yeah, real odd....)
    "Valar morghulis; valar dohaeris."

Commucrats are most efficient at converting sins and crimes to accidents or misunderstandings.-Oswald Bastable

Making good people helpless won't make bad people harmless.

Freedom isn't free.

"Attitude is the paintbrush that colors our world." TV Series, Haven.

My Spirit Animal has rabies.

I'd rather be an American than a Democrat.

"If you can make a man afraid, you can control him" Netflix Series, The Irregulars

The media lives a disaster I think in a few months we can add this to the extensive list if things that were supposed to kill all of us; satanic ritual abuse, gang initiations (flash headlights 3 times), killer bees, ozone hole, gloal cooling, global warming, Zika virus, Ebola virus, h1n1, sars, bird flu.......

The media loves this shit

Quote Originally Posted by NAPOTS View Post
    The media lives a disaster I think in a few months we can add this to the extensive list if things that were supposed to kill all of us; satanic ritual abuse, gang initiations (flash headlights 3 times), killer bees, ozone hole, gloal cooling, global warming, Zika virus, Ebola virus, h1n1, sars, bird flu.......

Yup. If they can't find a disaster to promote, they'll create one. It's what Faux Media does.

Commucrats are most efficient at converting sins and crimes to accidents or misunderstandings.-Oswald Bastable

Freedom isn't free.

"If you can make a man afraid, you can control him" Netflix Series, The Irregulars

Dow down 1031 yesterday and 879 today. Going to be an interesting week watching how either the newsless media or the make the news media spins it.

Or a really good excuse for a mid-course correction.

Dow down 1031 yesterday and 879 today. Going to be an interesting week watching how either the newsless media or the make the news media spins it.

Or a really good excuse for a mid-course correction.
    So, the Dow rose 152 points since yesterday, right? Yet, the Faux Media is trying to show it's all gloom and doom. I'd say it's slowly starting to rebound.

Freedom isn't free.

Quote Originally Posted by NAPOTS View Post

And don't forget the SWINE FLU back in 76. I barely made it thru that one.
    Don't Let the Bastards wear you down. Gen Joseph "Vinager Joe" Stillwell.

Quote Originally Posted by alismith View Post
    So, the Dow rose 152 points since yesterday, right? Yet, the Faux Media is trying to show it's all gloom and doom. I'd say it's slowly starting to rebound.
    Actually I remember President Reagan saying that he cut back in spending using exactly that logic. The budget was for an amount increase over the last year, but using easy to type numbers, if the increase was supposed to be $10 but he only signed for $8 he bragged about budget cuts when in fact he just cut the rate of increase, no saving at all.

Have you ever been a politician???

Actually I remember President Reagan saying that he cut back in spending using exactly that logic. The budget was for an amount increase over the last year, but using easy to type numbers, if the increase was supposed to be $10 but he only signed for $8 he bragged about budget cuts when in fact he just cut the rate of increase, no saving at all.

Have you ever been a politician???
    Yes. Years ago, I ran for Democratic State Central Committee and won. Thought better of it when I had to shake our idiot Governor's hand. I washed it so much the skin was about to come off.

Didn't run again.

Freedom isn't free.

So far this week, my Roth IRA has lost over 8% in just 2 days.
    “I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted. The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

I'm probably going to regret this, but as I have ten more years before I retire, I'm going to ignore the market.
    It's a great time to invest in food, meds, hooch.

Guns Network Lifetime Member #2

If you are liquid or have credit, wait till it crashes, then buy silly. Anyone that got hosed in 2007-08 learned a lesson. Stocks as a whole will come back from the dead. Yes I got big time hosed then. Getting hosed now too, but in the long run you'll be okay if you don't panic or are buying and selling options and are on the wrong side.

Team GunsNet Bronze 10/2014

it's deja vu all over again. sit still, let this run its course. hopefully, no one needs all of his/her 401k or pension funds all at once. if so, maybe working a little longer is not a bad idea.

Quote Originally Posted by 1 Patriot-of-many View Post
    If you are liquid or have credit, wait till it crashes, then buy silly. Anyone that got hosed in 2007-08 learned a lesson. Stocks as a whole will come back from the dead. Yes I got big time hosed then. Getting hosed now too, but in the long run you'll be okay if you don't panic or are buying and selling options and are on the wrong side.
    YES! I got market managers who can't figure out why so many people are just selling off cheap. It's just stupid. Now things will get bad internationally. But keep in mind that there will be BARGAINS to be had when all those suckers dump their stocks because they're dumb.

Many bargains out there if you are careful. Seeing that today the DOW so far is taking another dump tells me that tomorrow might be time to make a big purchase and then just sit back.

My folks lost half their investment in 08, just now getting back to about 3/4 and here comes the next hit.
    I've a suspicion this might be why the market kept going higher when everything said the reverse would be the prudent and sensible action, the "elites" were pumping the market just before the virus hit, and then they fleece the market just before they flee to New Zealand or wherever else they think they and their billions will be safe from sars 2 zombies. Watch for a lot more top execs to resign shortly after selling their stock, and then exit the country with steamer trunks full of cash.
    "And how we burned in the camps later thinking, what would things have been like, if every security operative, when he went out at night to make an arrest, had been uncertain, whether he would return alive and had to say good-bye to his family?"

Guns Network Lifetime Member #2

Quote Originally Posted by tank_monkey View Post
    YES! I got market managers who can't figure out why so many people are just selling off cheap. It's just stupid. Now things will get bad internationally. But keep in mind that there will be BARGAINS to be had when all those suckers dump their stocks because they're dumb.
    Every time we had a pandemic(sars, ebola ect), the stock market would lose 8-12%, in 3 months it was back to where it was before the pandemic. No guarantees of course. I made a quick $900 on some puts I bought Thursday, when the underlying etf went down more early Friday, sold them and by the close the ETF was almost back up to the price I bought the puts at. Now just waiting for the calls I bought at the same time to pay off in a few months.(Straddle)

I'm losing a goodly chunk myself. Still about 8 years out from retirement.
    I think this flu is going to be a bit worse than the last several.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast