Thread: Opinions Please

Site Admin & **Team Gunsnet Silver 12/2012** Richard Simmons's Avatar

Question Opinions Please

Upcoming auction and I’m looking at the following firearms. Looking for opinions on value, pros, cons, etc.

Polytechnic double underfolder AK with sling and one Polytech marked mag. I’d rate it as like new.

Milled Polytech AK-47/S. Bayonet and sheath with one Polytech marked mag. I’d call it excellent.

Norinco 56S with one 30rd Chinese marked mag. I’d rate it excellent to like new.

All of the above are chambered for 7.62x39.

Robinson Arms M96. Comes with one Colt 20rd magazine and original owners manual. I’d call it like new.
    Last edited by Richard Simmons; 02-26-2020 at 07:52 PM.
    Gunsnet member since 1999
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

Team Gunsnet Platinum 06/2016 ltorlo64's Avatar

That M96 sounds pretty cool, but I expect it will go for a lot as they seem to be listing for about $2300.
    "Nothing ever gets so bad that government "help" can't make it worse." Pat Garrett, March 22, 2014

"HATE IS GOOD, WHEN ITS DIRECTED AT EVIL." PROBASCO, April 20, 2012

I tried to push the envelope, but found that it was stationery.

Have you heard about the new corduroy pillows? They're making head lines!

NRA Endowment Member

Indiana, a state that is trying to remain free.
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Simmons View Post
    Upcoming auction and I’m looking at the following firearms. Looking for opinions on value, pros, cons, etc.

Polytechnic double underfolder AK with sling and one Polytech marked mag. I’d rate it as like new.

Milled Polytech AK-47/S. Bayonet and sheath with one Polytech marked mag. I’d call it excellent.

Norinco 56S with one 30rd Chinese marked mag. I’d rate it excellent to like new.

All of the above are chambered for 7.62x39.

Robinson Arms M96. Comes with one Colt 20rd magazine and original owners manual. I’d call it like new.
    Robinson M96 did not ship with mags, so any are a bonus.

That list is a list of dreams. Would rate the double folder, the Legend, or the M96 as worth buying first. The 56S as still really nice to have and not pass up if possible.

While it has been a while since I priced them, the double folders are approaching the $2000 mark.

The Legend around $2500.

The 56S $1500

And the Robinson $2000 plus if you are lucky enough to find one.

I have one of the first M96 and it would be on my list to sell only if I had nothing left.

There are no cons to owning any of those four.

Thanks to you both for the replies. I’m not at all familiar with the M96 other than when the first came out I though the version that fed fron the top like a Bren was pretty neat. What makes them different and or more desirable that a standard AR platform rifle?

The auction is online only though I can look at the firearms in person the evening before the auction, about 90 minute drive each way. There is an internet premium of 18% with 3% discount for cash plus I’d have to pay 5.3% sales tax. Not sure it the tax is based on the hammer price or hammer price + buyers premium but I’m figuring 20% on top of the hammer price as my OTD amount.

Right now the M96 has a high bid of $720. That’s about $860 OTD. The others are as follows:

Double underfolder $1,500 OTD

Milled Polytech is $1,104 OTD

56S $900 OTD

The auction doesn’t end for a couple of weeks so I guess I’ll just watch these lots and if they aren’t out of reach the day before I may go check them out at the preview.

That’s the other cost item. 3 hours R/T to look at them then another 3 hour trip to pick them up if I win something. Figure another $75 in gas.
    Last edited by Richard Simmons; 02-28-2020 at 06:58 PM.
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

The M96 is considered a true Stoner design which is what got my attention initially. It is piston driven and initially was supposed to come in many versions, that were made interchangeable as the rifle is held together with push-pins much like an MP5.

Although virtually the same, early versions had solid sides protecting protecting the rear sights. Later versions had lightening holes in them.

Glad to see that you already aware that the buyer fees can push a bargain into the "what were you thinking" range.

I had a chance to speak with Alex Robinson not to long ago and he said they were planning on making parts available again for the M96 and kind of hinted at a future production run.

Thanks. This is the early version

https://www.proxibid.com/Firearms-Mi...ation/52839604

If you go to page 3 at that link you’ll see the three AK’s.

Also a beautiful Polish M44 as well as some nice condition French rifles.

Also got my eye on a Browning GP Competition model Hi-Power.
    Last edited by Richard Simmons; 02-28-2020 at 09:08 PM.
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

Thanks for the link. Some really nice looking items there!

Which model is the M96? I’m looking at the barrel length and it looks like it might be the 17.5” carbine according to Wikipedia however the rifle is marked “Expeditionary” which again, according to Wikipedia the carbine isn’t marked that way.

Will the M96 work with any/most current AR mags like say Magpul or does it need the older aluminum style mags?
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

Can't answer about using new style AR mags as I have a dufflebag full of USGI mags.

The rifle in the auction has a barrel that is shorter than mine. I would post a photo but the Gunsnet photo host is dead, and I will not post firearms on an outside host.

The barrel is a quick disconnect so it is very possible that the auction rifle originally had the 20 inch barrel found in the Expeditionary. That would explain the markings.

Thank you.
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068