Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: You guys topping off your preps?

Many if not most of the chemical components to our medications come from China, and as these have come to a halt, we should expect medications to become scarce in the near future. If you take insulin, or need dialysis, you may be in a bind.

This also applies to US manufacturing that uses China as source for materials or parts, that being said, some countries have said to the US we will gladly make whatever part you need, or chemicals we can supply. Chicoms do not like that idea at all.
    "And how we burned in the camps later thinking, what would things have been like, if every security operative, when he went out at night to make an arrest, had been uncertain, whether he would return alive and had to say good-bye to his family?"

Team GunsNet Bronze 07/2011 weevil's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tank_monkey View Post
    Well if your work or business requires them, going bankrupt will affect your life as well as not having food or water, though we agree that bare necessities are food, water, shelter and medical supplies. But what about after the worst passes? You won't be able to POST IN THIS GROUP if the internet goes down. Communication nowadays is just as vital as many other important items. Just a thought.
    YMMV

I was speaking strictly from my POV.....everyone's situation will be different. My business is service based so other than a lack of new parts I should be able to muddle through, and I'm not on any meds. I can survive without the net if need be...l did for many, many years before it existed.

Some will make it some won't.
    Last edited by weevil; 03-03-2020 at 08:08 PM.
    Where are we going and why are we in this handbasket???

Quote Originally Posted by 5.56NATO View Post
    Many if not most of the chemical components to our medications come from China, and as these have come to a halt, we should expect medications to become scarce in the near future. If you take insulin, or need dialysis, you may be in a bind.

This also applies to US manufacturing that uses China as source for materials or parts, that being said, some countries have said to the US we will gladly make whatever part you need, or chemicals we can supply. Chicoms do not like that idea at all.
    When Trump hit a hard posture with the China tariffs, basically threatening them with a 500% increase in tariffs, three countries jump to the table (Vietnam, the Philippines, and Mexico) basically saying that they would LOVE to build factories and make all our CHEAP STUFF, instead of China. The USA is holding all the cards (economically). the Democrats always think of US as weak or immoral. But the world economies NEED the USA. We need to start outsourcing either back to the US or if it's not possible or feasible, then to other countries who aren't technically geopolitical enemies.

When Trump hit a hard posture with the China tariffs, basically threatening them with a 500% increase in tariffs, three countries jump to the table (Vietnam, the Philippines, and Mexico) basically saying that they would LOVE to build factories and make all our CHEAP STUFF, instead of China. The USA is holding all the cards (economically). the Democrats always think of US as weak or immoral. But the world economies NEED the USA. We need to start outsourcing either back to the US or if it's not possible or feasible, then to other countries who aren't technically geopolitical enemies.
    There's a move on to source meds, chems, and military parts from CONUS, so that's a start.
    "And how we burned in the camps later thinking, what would things have been like, if every security operative, when he went out at night to make an arrest, had been uncertain, whether he would return alive and had to say good-bye to his family?"

Though the MEDIA is doing shit journalism, don't be foolish enough to think it's nothing. It's not nothing. You guys far away from everyone are the lucky ones. Just try to be prepare to rough it on your own for weeks or months. I'm lucky in that I'm far enough away from the city (and have a home and land) to stock stuff up. But I have tons of friends and family who live in big cities who are seriously fucked if basic medical services breaks down or the food/supplies/toilet paper shipments just stop coming

Again, I'm more worried about the economic and societal impact, versus me actually getting sick. All we need is several thousand dead, for people to start acting crazy.

A little humor for the day

Guns Network Contributor 01/2015 Altarboy's Avatar

I have been stopping by the store and getting toilet paper and other stuff a couple times a week. I was already pretty well prepared.
    Looks like this disease is mostly hard on us older folks. I think the biggest casualty is going to be the world's economy. I have a bad feeling about it actually.

Quote Originally Posted by Altarboy View Post
    I have a bad feeling about it actually.

“I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted. The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

I have been stopping by the store and getting toilet paper and other stuff a couple times a week. I was already pretty well prepared.
    Looks like this disease is mostly hard on us older folks. I think the biggest casualty is going to be the world's economy. I have a bad feeling about it actually.
    Older folks are most at risk. I worry about 1) my elderly family and friends and 2) my friends that have weak immune systems. The rest of us can even catch the damned thing and only suffer from a bad flu for 2 weeks.

What I WORRY about is anyone getting a broken bone or suffering some sort of unrelated medical emergency .... and we have to go to a hospital where the damned place is packed with Corona victims, the staff is sick and no ones' there, there are no spare beds and all the medicines are gone. That's what I worry about. Just don't get sick (from anything) or injured in the next six months......

lets not forget pet food and get the stuff that tastes like chicken,, just in case

Team GunsNet Silver 03/2014 sevlex's Avatar

I was listening to Peter Boyles this morning and people were calling in with stories of empty shelves at their neighborhood stores. No TP, paper towels, hand sanitizer. After mentioning this to my wife her eyes got real big. She showed me our TP reserve - one single roll!

So I went to Target after dropping off the kids at school. The TP shelves were not completely empty but half so.

This is like Y2K all over again.
    Telling the truth is treason in an empire of lies.

WWG1WGA

Nothing good ever comes from a pinched sphincter

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2013 alismith's Avatar

Unwarranted panic buying instigated by the Faux Media.
    "Valar morghulis; valar dohaeris."

Commucrats are most efficient at converting sins and crimes to accidents or misunderstandings.-Oswald Bastable

Making good people helpless won't make bad people harmless.

Freedom isn't free.

"Attitude is the paintbrush that colors our world." TV Series, Haven.

My Spirit Animal has rabies.

I'd rather be an American than a Democrat.

"If you can make a man afraid, you can control him" Netflix Series, The Irregulars

Corporate started limiting sanitizers and so on. When I go back to work tomorrow I expect them to have placed limits on bottled water.
    On the water thing, the Chinese water supply has not gone down due to them being under quarantine, and chlorine kills the virus so I expect we will fare as well as China does with regards to water. Meaning: the folks buying water might have spent their money better elsewhere but that remains to be seen. Same goes for electricity, the Chinese power plants have stayed up the entire time of their quarantine so far.

Quote Originally Posted by 5.56NATO View Post
    Corporate started limiting sanitizers and so on. When I go back to work tomorrow I expect them to have placed limits on bottled water.
    On the water thing, the Chinese water supply has not gone down due to them being under quarantine, and chlorine kills the virus so I expect we will fare as well as China does with regards to water. Meaning: the folks buying water might have spent their money better elsewhere but that remains to be seen. Same goes for electricity, the Chinese power plants have stayed up the entire time of their quarantine so far.
    You're right about water. I asked someone who worked in our water utility and he said the in all of the various disasters that California has had, including the power outages, one thing that never really stopped was our water. To have an interruption in WATER (short of something simple like a water main break) would mean the end of society as we know it. Tons more stuff would have to fail BEFORE our water goes away. And then the power grid interruptions were due to things like fires. Now if your place uses ground water, some of the water plants filter that out, and you 'might' get water that's not potable right away, so filtration systems and purification equipment is a good idea. But you'll ALWAYS be able to flush your toilet and take a shower. My area uses reservoirs filled with water from the snowpack from the Sierra Mountains. It's all gravity fed so there is always positive water pressure.

The bottled water is mostly for short term emergencies. And anyone who buys a year's worth of bottled water is a fool IMHO, unless you're in an area that is vulnerable to water shortages (like desert towns who pump ground water). But for everyone else, they're being a bit ridiculous.

The train wreck started last nite in podunk Indiana. They shut down all schools for 3 weeks and the town went apeshit on tp, bottled water, even had fights in wallmart. As to the tp and water, you will find that tp/water you saw the neckbeard leave the store with on fb and craigslist for $5 a roll, no lie.
    We prolly did more biz in the last 2 days than an entire average month, and best part is no asshats so far. That said, some woman wanted to know why we had hand sanitizer pumps at every checkout lane but none on the shelves. We don't sell those, they're store issue only, bitch stole it as she was leaving with what she did buy.
    Lights are still on, stuff is still on the shelves, radio and tv still work, innernets is running, and people are going nuts anyway. I went on vacation and they changed the location of everything in the store, added new shelving and so on. came back and had no clue where anything was anymore, some people walked out after half filling their carts they were so fed up. One woman was in literal tears asking where something had been moved to, I was like lady, if you're like this right now what shape will you be in during tha pocalypse.
    Last edited by 5.56NATO; 03-14-2020 at 01:51 AM.

Guns Network Contributor 01/2015 Altarboy's Avatar

Well, people have read and seen accounts of the shortages experienced by people in Argentina, Venezuela, and the Balkans. It's the smart thing to get stuff and lots if it. You're even smarter if you already had the stuff.

For over 20 years, I go through the coupons in the Sunday papers, cutting out whatever might be usable. Many were for TP and, when coupon expiration dates were further in the future than they are now, I would get multiple coupons and wait for sales. As a result, I have been able to stockpile enough TP so that what I am currently using was bought 5 years ago. I actually have over 500 rolls in various sized bundles (9, 12, 16, etc.), all bought with coupons.
    I have enough canned meats (ham & chicken) to last a couple of months, also kept in "rotation" (F.I./F.O.). Same for canned vegetables, canned pasta (Chef BoyRdee), soups (Progresso & Campbell's Chunky - both "heat & serve), dried pasta side dishes in foil packets (Knorr - formerly Lipton), etc. Only water and perishables (milk, fresh fruit & vegetables, cheese, bread) are my weak spots. I do have a breadmaker so, as long as I have powdered milk, salt, sugar, flour, and yeast, bread isn't of major concern either.
    The generator I have isn't big enough to run my A/C but will handle most everything else as the furnace and water heater are nat. gas.
    Thanks to the changes in the economy in the last 5-6 years, I have enough ammo to satisfy all my needs.
    “I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted. The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

Well, people have read and seen accounts of the shortages experienced by people in Argentina, Venezuela, and the Balkans. It's the smart thing to get stuff and lots if it. You're even smarter if you already had the stuff.
    I've been prepping for the Zombie Apocalypse for years. So I'm feeling pretty good right now. California had their largest RUN on guns and ammo ever (believe it or not) because too many sheep who didn't have guns (or enough guns) decided that now was the time to join the 'armed' community. Also they realized that mobs can attack them and TAKE THEIR STUFF if the SHTF. This of course, is not a concern to anyone on this forum. LOL.

Team GunsNet Platinum 02/2015 davepool's Avatar

I've been prepping for the Zombie Apocalypse for years. So I'm feeling pretty good right now. California had their largest RUN on guns and ammo ever (believe it or not) because too many sheep who didn't have guns (or enough guns) decided that now was the time to join the 'armed' community. Also they realized that mobs can attack them and TAKE THEIR STUFF if the SHTF. This of course, is not a concern to anyone on this forum. LOL.
    Me too, guns and ammunition haven't been a concern since the craziness in 2008 when fuckhead got elected, but apparently not for other folks.

I just left sportsmans warehouse (picked up fishing stuff for next week) and it was busier than i have ever seen with folks buying guns and boolits, sales guy said they would be out of the common ammo's by the end of the day, i hadn't noticed any price increases, but it's still early in the panic.

My daughter just called and asked if i needed any ammo, silly woman doesn't know me very well

Damn i hope .22lr doesn't disappear again !

A note to panic buyers....22LR WILL NOT KILL ZOMBIES !
    Last edited by davepool; 03-15-2020 at 02:01 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12