Thread: The Browning Automatic Rifle cut down enemies from WWI to Vietnam

Team GunsNet Gold 07/2012 / Super Moderator Gunreference1's Avatar

Post The Browning Automatic Rifle cut down enemies from WWI to Vietnam

After today, it's all historical.

Quote Originally Posted by Gunreference1 View Post
    Any one else hear the urban myth that the US Army didn't want to issue the BAR to troops in the GREAT WAR, due to fears of it falling into 'enemy hands"?

This was actually repeated on a History Channel show once. But I've heard that this theory was bullshit. No Army would develop superior technology to their enemy and NOT USE IT in the field. What I heard was that it took a long time to ramp up production of the BAR and not enough time was allowed for large numbers to be issued to American troops. We were able to ramp up MEN far faster than new equipment, so we had thousands of men being shipped to Europe without the latest equipment. So our troops had to use the dreaded Chauchat. But that wasn't intentional on the part of the War Department.

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2013 alismith's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tank_monkey View Post
    Any one else hear the urban myth that the US Army didn't want to issue the BAR to troops in the GREAT WAR, due to fears of it falling into 'enemy hands"?

This was actually repeated on a History Channel show once. But I've heard that this theory was bullshit. No Army would develop superior technology to their enemy and NOT USE IT in the field. What I heard was that it took a long time to ramp up production of the BAR and not enough time was allowed for large numbers to be issued to American troops. We were able to ramp up MEN far faster than new equipment, so we had thousands of men being shipped to Europe without the latest equipment. So our troops had to use the dreaded Chauchat. But that wasn't intentional on the part of the War Department.
    If the Commucrats ever took power, they'd do exactly that for fear of being called unfair on the battlefield. They have to show how compassionate they are to others, even to those who want to kill us....
    "Valar morghulis; valar dohaeris."

Commucrats are most efficient at converting sins and crimes to accidents or misunderstandings.-Oswald Bastable

Making good people helpless won't make bad people harmless.

Freedom isn't free.

"Attitude is the paintbrush that colors our world." TV Series, Haven.

My Spirit Animal has rabies.

I'd rather be an American than a Democrat.

"If you can make a man afraid, you can control him" Netflix Series, The Irregulars