Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: You guys topping off your preps?

Guns Network Contributor 01/2015 Altarboy's Avatar

You guys topping off your preps?

MTV

Guns Network Lifetime Member #2

WTF.....

I'm already stocked for one year (water, canned food, dried goods, toilet paper, medicine, medical supplies) I'm good.

But you're right. That's my EMERGENCY supply. I still go out and top off my supplies just so that I don't have to use my stuff when things go really bad (which I hope they do not)

Remember, that it's not getting sick that's the biggest threat. It's the DISRUPTION of supply lines. That's the thing. We tend to forget just how fragile our goods and services pipeline is. Just a little disruption in the daily delivery of stuff throws EVERYTHING into a tizzy.

Indiana, a state that is trying to remain free.
    This might turn out to be the biggest media event since that flu that Gerry Ford had fits over, with the cure hurting more than the disease. Remember that one, the flu that no one got?

After speaking to a person knowledgeable with diseases, if you are fairly health to begin with you might not even know you had Covid-19

As long as the power stays on, I have enough frozen meat for at least 6 months. Same for canned and dried food like Knorr Noodle sides, Chef Boy-R-Dee, vegetables, powdered milk, sugar, tea, etc. The problem will be "perishables" like milk, cheese, raw fruits & vegetables, eggs, etc.
    I have a small generator but it is only good for running the refrigerator and the microwave. Fortunately, the furnace and water heater are nat. gas. I have candles and kerosene lamps for both light and heat and a wood-burning fireplace and an outdoor propane grill for summer cooking.
    Where I am really short is bottles of water. I don't store water nor do I buy that expensive junk at the stores.
    “I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted. The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

Guns Network Contributor 01/2015 Altarboy's Avatar

It's a really good time to take this seriously. I suspect this flu will not be as bad as the reaction to it; empty shelves, lack of civility etc..All the more reason to get our collective butts in gear.

Site Admin & **Team Gunsnet Silver 12/2012** Richard Simmons's Avatar

No but probably should.
    Gunsnet member since 1999
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

Team GunsNet Platinum 02/2015 davepool's Avatar

Not topping off, just rotating perishables. We keep a 30 day supply of food on hand for 5 people and my wife goes through it twice a year and pulls out any items that are coming to the end of their shelf life and we eat them and replace them. The eating part doesn't work out sometimes; that case of Stag chile was a great deal on sale, but trying to eat 24 cans before they expire in 30 days is a little tough...and feeding it to the dog didn't work out either, he loved it but his chile farts would gag a skunk

Don't be an asshat and go berserk like in the vids. I work in grocery and will let you guys know what I hear from corporate, but for all I know the stampede for rice and beans hasn't hit podunk Indiana yet. It has in Va and Hi as well as elsewhere however and they're spooking the heard.

But this, like the stock market selloff, is a self fulfilling prophecy. Sure get some 12 packs of ramen or whatever floats your boat but I suspect limits on how much of any one item can be bought by an individual are soon to be in place at every grocery. Also I heard the survival foods crowd is telling customers they have a month or two backorder.
    "And how we burned in the camps later thinking, what would things have been like, if every security operative, when he went out at night to make an arrest, had been uncertain, whether he would return alive and had to say good-bye to his family?"

Quote Originally Posted by davepool View Post
    Not topping off, just rotating perishables. We keep a 30 day supply of food on hand for 5 people and my wife goes through it twice a year and pulls out any items that are coming to the end of their shelf life and we eat them and replace them. The eating part doesn't work out sometimes; that case of Stag chile was a great deal on sale, but trying to eat 24 cans before they expire in 30 days is a little tough...and feeding it to the dog didn't work out either, he loved it but his chile farts would gag a skunk
    I've had cases of Progresso soup that sat in the cupboard for a few years, they cooked fine. If they were under pressure when opened, or obviously bulged, you'd not want to eat them, but I wasn't going to throw out some of my fav soup just because it sat in cabinet at room temp for years. Also if there's any exposed rust on the inside of any can, new or old, toss em. Just make sure you get the contents above 160f to be sure anything funky gets killed, but that holds true for everything.
    "And how we burned in the camps later thinking, what would things have been like, if every security operative, when he went out at night to make an arrest, had been uncertain, whether he would return alive and had to say good-bye to his family?"

Team GunsNet Platinum 02/2015 davepool's Avatar

Yep. that's my thinking too if the can don't blow up, it's good , but my wife worked in the food service business for 40 years and lives by expiration codes, won't buy it there's not a date on it.

So somehow we acquired a 24 oz can of USDA Govt. beef back in the early 90's, no expiration code and no one knows where it came from so we put it with our stash. It got to be the joke around here we named it the Y2K beef thinking we would eat it when the global economy crashed, wars and famine spread world wide in January of 2000....still have that damn can of beef, so we have put it in our will to be passed down to our oldest son

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2013 alismith's Avatar

Yep. that's my thinking too if the can don't blow up, it's good , but my wife worked in the food service business for 40 years and lives by expiration codes, won't buy it there's not a date on it.

So somehow we acquired a 24 oz can of USDA Govt. beef back in the early 90's, no expiration code and no one knows where it came from so we put it with our stash. It got to be the joke around here we named it the Y2K beef thinking we would eat it when the global economy crashed, wars and famine spread world wide in January of 2000....still have that damn can of beef, so we have put it in our will to be passed down to our oldest son
    What do you have against your oldest son?
    "Valar morghulis; valar dohaeris."

Commucrats are most efficient at converting sins and crimes to accidents or misunderstandings.-Oswald Bastable

Making good people helpless won't make bad people harmless.

Freedom isn't free.

"Attitude is the paintbrush that colors our world." TV Series, Haven.

My Spirit Animal has rabies.

I'd rather be an American than a Democrat.

"If you can make a man afraid, you can control him" Netflix Series, The Irregulars

I always note the expiration date of my canned goods. that way my canned foods don't last more than a year or two before they're eaten . So sorry your case of Stag Chili was left until the last 30 days But I LOVE Chili, i'd eat 24 cans in 30 days with no problem! hahahahaha Just a note though, in canned foods, the expiration date is just a suggestion. If it is bulging of course toss it, but if it seems okay and smells okay, it's probably fine.

On a hill with the view of the rest of my life.
    Added 96 rolls of toilet paper.
    Trying to get on the no fly list, one post at a time.

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2013 alismith's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Altarboy View Post
    MTV
    The Commucrat scare tactic is working just as they hoped it would....

The sheep are panicking....
    "Valar morghulis; valar dohaeris."

Commucrats are most efficient at converting sins and crimes to accidents or misunderstandings.-Oswald Bastable

Making good people helpless won't make bad people harmless.

Freedom isn't free.

"Attitude is the paintbrush that colors our world." TV Series, Haven.

My Spirit Animal has rabies.

I'd rather be an American than a Democrat.

"If you can make a man afraid, you can control him" Netflix Series, The Irregulars

Team GunsNet Bronze 07/2011 weevil's Avatar

I'm already stocked up for emergencies though I should probably top off my water supply.

I got a feeling this is gonna be like the WWIII with Iran the MSM and liberal Chicken Littles were howling about....still better to be prepared just in case the wolf does show up this time.
    Where are we going and why are we in this handbasket???

Quote Originally Posted by weevil View Post
    I'm already stocked up for emergencies though I should probably top off my water supply.

I got a feeling this is gonna be like the WWIII with Iran the MSM and liberal Chicken Littles were howling about....still better to be prepared just in case the wolf does show up this time.
    Most all of the smart folks kept on telling us that the real risk was not from the actual disease, but from interrupted supply chains and shortages. There are entire factories in China that are shut down that make chemicals and parts for the US (that's another issue of course). So get ready for any replacement COMPUTER PARTS, like hard drives, USB sticks, memory, etc. to be in short supply in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by btcave View Post
    Added 96 rolls of toilet paper.
    Whenever I see coupons in the ads for TP (esp. Quilted Northern), I save them for future sales. As I have been doing this for about 15 years, I am currently using TP bought in the summer of 2016. As a result, I have about 600 individual rolls in about 45 various bundles in storage in my pole barn. I also have about 60 rolls of paper towels.

Speaking of soup, for supper tonight, I had a can of Campbell's Chunky Creamy Chicken soup (with the white gravy instead of "broth") that said "Best By 7-19". No "pop" or bulging, no bad smell, etc. I just added some additional meat (diced ham) for more protein. Most of those dates on cans say "Best by" and not "Use by". This is because the fats in the soups CAN go rancid with time and the "Best by" is so the flavor is still good.
    “I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted. The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

Team GunsNet Bronze 07/2011 weevil's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tank_monkey View Post
    Most all of the smart folks kept on telling us that the real risk was not from the actual disease, but from interrupted supply chains and shortages. There are entire factories in China that are shut down that make chemicals and parts for the US (that's another issue of course). So get ready for any replacement COMPUTER PARTS, like hard drives, USB sticks, memory, etc. to be in short supply in the future.
    Those are just luxury items I don't need them to survive.

Food, water and fuel are the biggies and those come from US suppliers. I really can't think of anything from China I can't live without.

My biggest concern would be quarantines where they stop the trucks and trains carrying supplies from getting through.
    Where are we going and why are we in this handbasket???

Quote Originally Posted by weevil View Post
    Those are just luxury items I don't need them to survive.
    Well if your work or business requires them, going bankrupt will affect your life as well as not having food or water, though we agree that bare necessities are food, water, shelter and medical supplies. But what about after the worst passes? You won't be able to POST IN THIS GROUP if the internet goes down. Communication nowadays is just as vital as many other important items. Just a thought.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast