Thread: Building an AR Pistol: What You NEED to Know

Team GunsNet Gold 07/2012 / Super Moderator Gunreference1's Avatar

Post Building an AR Pistol: What You NEED to Know

After today, it's all historical.

When i built mine it was registered as a pistol with my state from the get go. Two I was really confused as to how many buffers I would have to try to get the timing right. I went to the other end of the build, replaced the original gas block with a adjustable gas block, skipped the buffer question entirely. within 3 to 4 rounds the timing was perfect ejecting at the 3 and 4 o'clock position. Made the build much, much easier to deal with. I also had the new gas block pinned at my local smiths shop. Cost $15.00. All was worth it to replacing the headache of the buffer weight for timing purposes. The one thing to watch is do not place a vertical grip on one, illegal with the ATF but you can use angled ones. Why this is i do not know. They will burn the hell out of you for this..I would also recommend what they call a pig can to force the muzzle blast downrange. Especially on a 7.5 in barrel. Makes one hell of a fireball. That's my simple experience with them. I have never shot mine over 75 yds but I know this. One it do's not have the power of a full sized M-4 type rifle or bigger because of barrel length. Two I can bust a gallon sized milk jug at 75 yds with no problem with a red dot on top. Three at best you are looking at a 4 to 5 in pattern (FMJ) at 50 yds or more. Minute of torso so to speak. That gallon milk jug is about the size of a human head. They make great targets for all rifles across the board. They are fun and watch how you use them with your rear blade on the buffer tube. Law says you can not shoulder the pistol by the way also. I don't know what the power ratings of a .223 or 5.56 would be with these short barreled pistol. I will say this, I think is is right up there with a .44 mag or better even. But now there is more calibers to use and try like 300 blackout.
    Last edited by rshaneck2002; 03-30-2020 at 01:17 PM.