Thread: Disaster Preparedness - Don’t Wait Till It’s Too Late

Team GunsNet Gold 07/2012 / Super Moderator Gunreference1's Avatar

Post Disaster Preparedness - Don’t Wait Till It’s Too Late

After today, it's all historical.

We (the older guys) all grew up with the grandparents who seemed to horde everything.
    They were the left overs from the great depression. They learned to horde what they had to make it last and it stuck with them the rest of their lives.

I wonder what percentage will be like them because of all of this.
    We ALL learned how fast the necessities and not actual necessities were gone from the shelves, to seemingly be gone forever.

I spent just over $350 in extra groceries just to make me FEEL like what I already had was going to be adequate. Plus I wanted some junk foods and quick cook stuff.

I already had just under 72 rolls of TP because I buy in bulk already (that is just 2 standard packages from Amazon), but I bought 12 more rolls, again to make me FEEL safe about it. Since all this started we only have gone through a "compiled" total of 1.5 rolls (I have 3 bathrooms).

I think the grocery stores are going to have random empty shelves like they are now, for months after this is over from just people realizing that they need extras in certain stuff. But with today's people it will only last about a year or until all the extras are used up then they will go back to their same habits.
    Even I, just a couple months ago, stopped stocking up on .22 after the whole O'bama debacle.

BISHOP

For more than 20 years, I have bought TP using coupons whenever I could (and only then) and I'm using some now that was bought during the summer of 2015. According to my tally, I have a little over 500 rolls, mostly of Quilted Northern.
    I have about 18 cans of canned pasta (Chef Boy-R-Dee), dried pasta pouches (Knorr - formerly Lipton - sides), 2 doz. cans of canned veggies, enough bread flour & yeast for at least 3 loaves, canned meats (12.5 oz chicken & 16 oz hams), a small number of cans of canned pears and applesauce, and a LOT of frozen foods like meatballs, hotdogs, chicken breasts, pork & beef roasts, ice cream, etc. The only thing in short supply are bottles of tap water and fresh/perishable items. There is only enough of those to last 7-10 days (milk, carrots, radishes, bananas).
    Yes, my "grands" were adults before the Depression hit, but my parents were both born in the late 20s and lived through that and WW2. I learned from them, esp. the maternal side of the family, where we used to joke that my grandmother would rub both sides of the penny smooth before letting go of it.
    Plus, I'm an old Boy Scout (stress the "old").
    “I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted. The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2013 alismith's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JTHunter View Post
    [FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=4]For more than 20 years, I have bought TP using coupons whenever I could (and only then) and I'm using some now that was bought during the summer of 2015. According to my tally, I have a little over 500 rolls, mostly of Quilted Northern.
    I have about 18 cans of canned pasta (Chef Boy-R-Dee), dried pasta pouches (Knorr - formerly Lipton - sides), 2 doz. cans of canned veggies, enough bread flour & yeast for at least 3 loaves, canned meats (12.5 oz chicken & 16 oz hams), a small number of cans of canned pears and applesauce, and a LOT of frozen foods like meatballs, hotdogs, chicken breasts, pork & beef roasts, ice cream, etc. The only thing in short supply are bottles of tap water and fresh/perishable items. There is only enough of those to last 7-10 days (milk, carrots, radishes, bananas).
    Beer. You forgot the beer.

It's not a disaster if you have the beer.
    "Valar morghulis; valar dohaeris."

Commucrats are most efficient at converting sins and crimes to accidents or misunderstandings.-Oswald Bastable

Making good people helpless won't make bad people harmless.

Freedom isn't free.

"Attitude is the paintbrush that colors our world." TV Series, Haven.

My Spirit Animal has rabies.

I'd rather be an American than a Democrat.

"If you can make a man afraid, you can control him" Netflix Series, The Irregulars

Quote Originally Posted by alismith View Post

That was one of the first things I did; fill the fridge up with beer! But this apocalypse is going on too long, I'm almost out of Coors light.

Quote Originally Posted by alismith View Post

Nope. Got a few cans left from the "suitcase" I bought last summer. I don't drink beer much except during the summer as I prefer wine, which I drink with nearly every supper.
    “I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted. The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

We live in an isolated region of Wyoming. We have not had a big problem with shortages. The only thing in short supply is flour. Their is no shortage of TP or bread. Being in this region we stock up for the Winter before the first snow. The Moose and Elk are plentyful.

Team Gunsnet Silver 02/14 - Moderator recon's Avatar

Yeah my grandparents did lived during the depression. Old guy here too. They always had more then enough food. There pantry was always stocked. I like to keep things stocked. Can never have enough. Just like ammo and guns.
    Buy It Cheap!
    Stack It Deep!

Original Member-July-1999!

Quote Originally Posted by recon View Post
    Yeah my grandparents did lived during the depression. Old guy here too. They always had more then enough food. There pantry was always stocked. I like to keep things stocked. Can never have enough. Just like ammo and guns.
    Well said !

I really like topping off my 'long term food storage' pantry. That means tons of dried pasta, jars of sauce, all sorts of dried (just add water) meals, canned soups, chili, noodles, canned meat, canned fruit, and canned vegetables. I rotate through it all throughout the year, but if someone SUDDEN happens, I can live about 6 months with NO contact with the outside world, perhaps longer with some rationing. That being said, I'm constantly getting fresh food (fresh vegetables, fruit and also TAKE OUT from my favorite restaurants) (of course doing the whole social distancing routine) just to keep small family owned businesses in business and not digging into my long term stash.

I think guys who are into 'self reliance' were NOT caught off guard. I feel kinda bad for those sheeple who were.