Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My advice to people trying to buy guns and Ammo during the panic of the Virus

My advice to people trying to buy guns and Ammo during the panic of the Virus

This is not really about guns or ammo, but about warning guys about BUYING anything when there is a panic and stores are selling out. Unless you have nothing, no guns, no ammo, then I'd advise to WAIT..... NEVER buy when the prices are HIGH and the shelves are empty. It's akin to investing in the stock market when the prices are sky high and everyone is panic buying.

I can't count how many friends I've had to tell "HEY, don't buy now. Especially if you're sitting on a decent ammo supply and a decent collection of firearms. You'll pay too much for something that will probably go back down to a normal price in a few months time." I know the temptation to go out and get something. I've done it myself. During all the gun ban panics, like clockwork, I rushed out and bought 5+ firearms at a time. Kinda silly now that I think of it but I still like my acquisitions nonetheless, because I couldn't get them later (thanks California), but I did overpay for them.

One thing is for sure. Tons of NEW GUNOWNERS are appearing everyday. A lot of folks 'on the fence' are now realizing that "No, the government and the cops do NOT have an obligation to protect you from harm".....They're all LEARNING the hard way what all of us (on this forum) have already known for years.

Now companies may be furloughing off workers, or perhaps they have sick workers that must be quarantined. Either way, there may be reasons why production can't ramp up as fast as those industries who make Medicine and Medical equipment, but this will end someday and I know that ammo makers will be back and in a big way. I'm guessing that by late summer, the rush might be over, but then maybe not. Society might go to hell in a handbasket and supply will constantly be stripped bare when it hits the shelves..... Not sure.

So does anyone else have advice? When do you think it's safe to invest in such things again?

“I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted. The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

I agree with you, I don't have any deficiencies in the guns and ammo department. The local shooting range is closed anyway due to COVID-19. I will start buying again when I can start shooting again and things return to normal.

During the last shortage of .22lr I managed to still find quite a bit of it here or there, I have....enough.

Team GunsNet Platinum 02/2015 davepool's Avatar

Umm maybe by end of summer,but you know how it goes; new gun owner finds out what a kick in the butt shooting is, soon after finds another gun that he "needs" (and of course ammo) in a short time he has the addiction, and vows to never be caught short again ( picture the scene from gone with the wind where scarlett is face down in the dirt and she looks to the sky and says "As god is my witness i will never....run out of guns and boolits again")

It's going to take these folks a long time to catch up to us, so maybe end of NEXT summer

All those new shooters are showing up at our local range ( still open) after the last panic i watched the women next to me look down the barrel of her pistol with her finger on the trigger, thank god it was a highpoint , they won't fire upside down ( just kidding). So i think i'll stay off the public range for a while
    Last edited by davepool; 04-06-2020 at 05:44 PM.

Guns Network Contributor 01/2015 Altarboy's Avatar

I agree.
    Of course the time to purchase was when guns and ammo were plentiful and cheap. Hindsight and all that.

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2013 alismith's Avatar

I agree in general, but another way to look at it is that if you want a gun/ammo and you have the money, then get it while you still can. One never knows what's coming just around the corner.

I have more than enough guns and ammo. I doubt I'll live long enough to shoot them all or shoot up all my ammo, but I'm still buying whatever I want if I see it and I have the money.

I've got my dealer friend looking for a carbine as I write this. It's on "allotment" right now, but he'll call me as soon as he is able to get it. When he does, I'll buy it.

Still, Tank, your advice is good.
    "Valar morghulis; valar dohaeris."

Commucrats are most efficient at converting sins and crimes to accidents or misunderstandings.-Oswald Bastable

Making good people helpless won't make bad people harmless.

Freedom isn't free.

"Attitude is the paintbrush that colors our world." TV Series, Haven.

My Spirit Animal has rabies.

I'd rather be an American than a Democrat.

"If you can make a man afraid, you can control him" Netflix Series, The Irregulars

I collect many types of firearms. My most recent pursuit is the 10MM Pistol. I have 8 of these handguns. I am currently looking for a new model Colt 1911 Delta Elite 10MM. President "Big Don T", said he was sending me $1,200 dollars. I am sure it is to pay for the new Colt. I won't let him down.

On a like note, i wonder what the next few months will do to car prices.
    "And how we burned in the camps later thinking, what would things have been like, if every security operative, when he went out at night to make an arrest, had been uncertain, whether he would return alive and had to say good-bye to his family?"

Quote Originally Posted by 5.56NATO View Post
    On a like note, i wonder what the next few months will do to car prices.
    Though I hate to take advantage of other people's pain and misfortune, I've been told that come mid to late summer, it will be a buyer's market. Not only will dealerships be desperate to unload anything from the previous model year (and no one is buying) also private parties will be selling off their used vehicles for cash. Now I'm sad to see folks desperate for cash and selling their vehicles for pennies on the dollar, but hey, it is a great opportunity for the rest of us who can buy it off of them.

I have a fund that I have for car purchases and I've been told that by July or August I can almost name my price if I walk in with cash in hand.

THIS YEAR is the time to buy either new or late model used ANYTHING.

Quote Originally Posted by Durangokid View Post
    I collect many types of firearms. My most recent pursuit is the 10MM Pistol. I have 8 of these handguns. I am currently looking for a new model Colt 1911 Delta Elite 10MM. President "Big Don T", said he was sending me $1,200 dollars. I am sure it is to pay for the new Colt. I won't let him down.

I don't think my family will qualify but if we do I'm looking for a saa clone in .357 mag with the 7.5 inch barrell

Team GunsNet Platinum 02/2015 davepool's Avatar

I stopped collecting 10mm pistols before the recent resurgence in interest 10mm cartridge. There sure are a lot of nice 10mm pistols out now, i've been interested in the long slide glock 10mm, might have to add one to the pile

Quote Originally Posted by NAPOTS View Post
    I don't think my family will qualify but if we do I'm looking for a saa clone in .357 mag with the 7.5 inch barrell
    I don't quality either. I didn't lose my job and I wasn't furloughed. I own my own property outright, and don't have rent or mortgage, but I do pay property tax, but that doesn't count. I am more than happy to let the money go to folks who are struggling and really need it. In this one case, the better everyone ELSE does, the faster our society can go back to being prosperous.

I used to have a nice collection of firearms and ammunition. Unfortunately, I lost all of it in a boating accident.
    Last edited by Viking350; 04-09-2020 at 12:43 PM.

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2013 alismith's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Viking350 View Post
    I used to have a nice collection of firearms and ammunition. Unfortunately, I lost all of it in a boating accident.
    Same thing happened to me. Gotta start all over again.

Fate can be a real bitch sometimes....
    "Valar morghulis; valar dohaeris."

Commucrats are most efficient at converting sins and crimes to accidents or misunderstandings.-Oswald Bastable

Making good people helpless won't make bad people harmless.

Freedom isn't free.

"Attitude is the paintbrush that colors our world." TV Series, Haven.

My Spirit Animal has rabies.

I'd rather be an American than a Democrat.

"If you can make a man afraid, you can control him" Netflix Series, The Irregulars

Quote Originally Posted by tank_monkey View Post
    Though I hate to take advantage of other people's pain and misfortune, I've been told that come mid to late summer, it will be a buyer's market. Not only will dealerships be desperate to unload anything from the previous model year (and no one is buying) also private parties will be selling off their used vehicles for cash. Now I'm sad to see folks desperate for cash and selling their vehicles for pennies on the dollar, but hey, it is a great opportunity for the rest of us who can buy it off of them.

I have a fund that I have for car purchases and I've been told that by July or August I can almost name my price if I walk in with cash in hand.

THIS YEAR is the time to buy either new or late model used ANYTHING.
    for us poor folk this will be nice
    "And how we burned in the camps later thinking, what would things have been like, if every security operative, when he went out at night to make an arrest, had been uncertain, whether he would return alive and had to say good-bye to his family?"

It appears everyone will qualify for some "Trump Bucks". We own and lease many sections of Wyoming grazing lands. The good Ole boys are buying votes.

Quote Originally Posted by tank_monkey View Post
    I don't quality either. I didn't lose my job and I wasn't furloughed. I own my own property outright, and don't have rent or mortgage, but I do pay property tax, but that doesn't count. I am more than happy to let the money go to folks who are struggling and really need it. In this one case, the better everyone ELSE does, the faster our society can go back to being prosperous.
    when we received stimulus checks from Bush during the last financial crisis I had reservations about taking the money. I am not in favor of the government just handing out cash. I talked to my old man about it and he raised a good point, if you are a tax payer, or a retired tax payer, it is your money, or it will be when you spend a generation working to pay for it. I would say this time around, if you don't need it but qualify for it, great, patronize some businesses or industries that you like, go out to your favorite restaurants more often (when they open back up) and tip generously, or if you really want to, donate to a charity that you like.

It appears everyone will qualify for some "Trump Bucks". We own and lease many sections of Wyoming grazing lands. The good Ole boys are buying votes.
    I don't believe my family will qualify but that is ok, there are people who need it more than us right now. If we do, the best thing we can do for everyone else is put it back into the economy.

Quote Originally Posted by NAPOTS View Post
    when we received stimulus checks from Bush during the last financial crisis I had reservations about taking the money. I am not in favor of the government just handing out cash. I talked to my old man about it and he raised a good point, if you are a tax payer, or a retired tax payer, it is your money, or it will be when you spend a generation working to pay for it. I would say this time around, if you don't need it but qualify for it, great, patronize some businesses or industries that you like, go out to your favorite restaurants more often (when they open back up) and tip generously, or if you really want to, donate to a charity that you like.
    I look at it as getting something from the fed cartel. Matter of fact, Trump should abolish the fed and start issues US notes that bear no debt.

Not true. I did not apply for unemployment benefits. I don't actually need it and actually would prefer that it go to some poor schmuck who lost his job and has 3 kids, a wife and a mortgage or rent to worry about. But more power to you if you get your check. If for some reason i actually get one, I won't spend it on guns or ammo (the price is too high right now and too many guys are making a 'killing' in the market and I'm not going to line their pockets. I'll wait until they stop profiteering and price goes back down). I'll spend it on supporting small family owned businesses near to me.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast