Thread: Stock wont lock?

Unhappy Stock wont lock?

I recently bought an amd-65 on a FEG receiver, and when it finally arrived, i found that the folding stock wont lock into the folded position.

not sure what the problem is here....

anyone?

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Lightbulb

I don't think it locks folded, only open. I built one 5 or 6 years ago so my memory isn't razor sharp on the mechanics of the AMD 65. I recall a large release button that comes out of the bottom of the receiver. I think there's a spring or spring plunger that holds some tension in it in the folded postion but it's not locked if my mem is correct. Wish I could remember the mechanism better.

Hmmmm, it just doesn't seem to make sense that anyone would make a folding stock that just floats around when not locked in the "open" position.
    seems like it could be potentially dangerous in a combat environment. i dug up an amd-65 kit out of the "Man-Cave", (that i bought about five years ago and never did anything with), and the "rear trunnion" gave me no clue either.

there's got to be some kind of way to lock it in place.

Hmmmmmmmm???

It is supposed to lock into the closed position.
    My guess is that it is either not getting close enough to the receiver for the lock to engage. Or careless and out of spec machine work on the locking mechanism.
    Either should be repairable with a little dremill work. Or if nothing else it sounds like you have some replacement parts handy.

yeah, it's button operated, and when i fold the stock over to the receiver, the button doesn't even move at all.

there is a small rubber like pad on the butt of the stock where it makes contact with the receiver. but i believe that it is suppose to be there.

i'm gonna have to call the place that i bought it and ask them what the deal is, and hopefully they will point me in the right direction.
    Last edited by PR2112; 11-04-2010 at 09:41 PM. Reason: neglecting to proof read before clicking!

Quote Originally Posted by PR2112 View Post
    yeah, it's button operated, and when i fold the stock over to the receiver, the button doesn't even move at all.

there is a small rubber like pad on the butt of the stock where it makes contact with the receiver. but i believe that it is suppose to be there.

i'm gonna have to call the place that i bought it and ask them what the deal is, and hopefully they will point me in the right direction.
    You could just send in in for repairs. But I’m betting it would be a simple fix. when the stock is open, you can see the locking mechanism. It is the bevel that is milled into the rotating part. I imagine you could get it to engage just by working that bevel. But without getting a close look at it, there is no way to say for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Blacksmith View Post
    You could just send in in for repairs. But I’m betting it would be a simple fix. when the stock is open, you can see the locking mechanism. It is the bevel that is milled into the rotating part. I imagine you could get it to engage just by working that bevel. But without getting a close look at it, there is no way to say for sure.
    Yeah that's what I was hoping.

I've been thinking about taking it to the gunsmith and having him rivet on a side plate. So maybe I'll just do that and have him look at this problem at the same time.

but for now it's time time to konk out, soooooo.....

p.s. oh, and thanks for your help Blacksmith!
    Last edited by PR2112; 11-04-2010 at 10:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by PR2112 View Post
    Yeah that's what I was hoping.

I've been thinking about taking it to the gunsmith and having him rivet on a side plate. So maybe I'll just do that and have him look at this problem at the same time.

but for now it's time time to konk out, soooooo.....

p.s. oh, and thanks for your help Blacksmith!
    If you’re going to take it to a gunsmith, he will have it locking in a few minutes. Good luck with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Blacksmith View Post
    It is supposed to lock into the closed position.
    My guess is that it is either not getting close enough to the receiver for the lock to engage. Or careless and out of spec machine work on the locking mechanism.
    Either should be repairable with a little dremill work. Or if nothing else it sounds like you have some replacement parts handy.
    Mine does.

lock

I had a Polytech Galil style folder that would not lock in the closed position. I thought this was strange. It would be unsafe. I examined the rear and found that a cut would need to be made for it to lock in forward position. BUT the polytech was a import only and possibly no thought was given to lock forward. my Norinco red sidefolder did lock forward. i believe the norinco red sidefolder was a copy of actual chinese arms.
    Norris/Nugent 2012
    We'll kick their ass. Then shoot 'em.

I was just scratching it!