Thread: How to Clean A 1911 Pistol

Team GunsNet Gold 07/2012 / Super Moderator Gunreference1's Avatar

After today, it's all historical.

His order of disassembly and assembly seems strange to me and I keep hearing this bit about the 1911 being difficult to disassemble and I don't get it. I will say that I have GI recoil spring guides in all of mine. I don't see the point in a FLGR and I think the extra friction has induced a few misfeeds in my 9mm. my procedure;

make sure it is unloaded
    double check that it is unloaded
    tripple check if necessary.
    rack slid and put safety on (mostly to keep slide put for next step)
    push in recoil spring plug with thumb and turn bushing (yep the muzzle is pointed more or less at your face so you better be damn sure it is unloaded)
    pull out recoil spring plug and spring (not totally necessary)
    take off safety and push slide back to point where slide stop will come out
    slide off slide and take bushing out if you didn't already do it (I have heard it is better to rotate the bushing with the barrel unlocked)

I don't see what is difficult about the basic field strip, I do pull the firing pin and extractor out maybe every other time I clean it because their does get to be a fair amount of crap in there. I will say with the full detail strip, I don't think it is necessary to do very often as I usually don't find much crud around the sear, hammer, trigger, disconnector etc., and I never find any crap in the main spring.