Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tinnitus

Tinnitus

Anyone else here have tinnitus? I started getting it off and on since last fall and it is really annoying.

Sometimes ppl get a tone that lasts for some time, others get a tone that never stops. I suspect there's a drug interaction, literally a poisoning going on but who knows. Also, taking an online hearing range test often shows a ringing at the cutoff frequency of an individuals hearing. It seems that whatever your cutoff freq is, that's the background ringing you're stuck with.
    It's "normal" that as one ages your high freq decreases until you can't hear anything above say 7kHz.

In this test I get to 10k and can't hear any sound pressure, last time I checked I could hear to 15k but that was with headphones a few years ago;
    http://onlinetonegenerator.com/hearingtest.html

You can also use this test to match your current tone and know exactly what freq it is.
    "And how we burned in the camps later thinking, what would things have been like, if every security operative, when he went out at night to make an arrest, had been uncertain, whether he would return alive and had to say good-bye to his family?"

Indiana, a state that is trying to remain free.
    Yup, I have put up with the sound of being in the back of a 727 (3 engines in the back) for about 4 years now. Very annoying obviously but I have gotten used to it. It does make it a chore to hear some voices.

Guns Network Lifetime Member #2

All the time, for decades.

Team GunsNet Bronze 10/2014

i worked around jet engine testing and hi-pressure air. we were tested every year. the amount of exposure and duration of ringing has to be considered. if it's constant, get a hearing test. it may be covered by workmen's comp.

Quote Originally Posted by NAPOTS View Post
    Anyone else here have tinnitus? I started getting it off and on since last fall and it is really annoying.
    I have mild tinnitus. It's like a quiet hissing ring in my ears when it's quiet.

I also occasionally have what is claimed to be a dying nerve cell in the ear. Suddenly the background sounds go quiet and I hear an audio tone of maybe between 800 to 1500 hertz which slowly, over the course of maybe 20 to 30 seconds fades away. It's always a different tone when it happens, and always in only one ear.

My range of hearing is skewed to the high end. Very low tones that most people can hear I can't, but I can hear high frequencies abnormally well. I can hear ultrasonic alarms and when we had CRT TV sets I could hear the horizontal sweep whistle (which is 15734 hertz). Very annoying it was. I also can hear a dog whistle.
    Gentlemen may prefer Blondes, but Real Men prefer Redheads!

Quote Originally Posted by 5.56NATO View Post
    I suspect there's a drug interaction
    Too much aspirin causes (in me) a tinnitus-like ringing in my ears.

Quote Originally Posted by imanaknut View Post
    Yup, I have put up with the sound of being in the back of a 727 (3 engines in the back) for about 4 years now. Very annoying obviously but I have gotten used to it. It does make it a chore to hear some voices.
    "727" reminds me of something that happened to me in 1983. I was on a business trip to Atlanta GA. and flew a 727 both ways. On the way back, on the takeoff roll we had just lifted off the runway and a howling shudder went through the cabin and we dropped back down to the runway. The pilot rammed the throttles to full, the engine roar was loud! We rolled for maybe 15 seconds more and lifted off again. The pilot didn't do one of those 45 degree climbouts, but only rotated up about 10 degrees for the climb, then he throttled the engines back to normal.

I'm sure we hit a wind shear and stalled, falling back to the runway. If that happened a few seconds later, the drop would have destroyed the airplane. I wonder how many of the passengers knew how close they came to dying on that flight?

I don't take medication very often, occasionally tylenol or ibuprofen for headaches which I get pretty frequently. I don't associate the ringing in the ears with these medications.

Quote Originally Posted by NAPOTS View Post
    I don't take medication very often, occasionally tylenol or ibuprofen for headaches which I get pretty frequently. I don't associate the ringing in the ears with these medications.
    It only happens to me with aspirin, and only if I take too much (like over 1000 mg.).

Quote Originally Posted by 1 Patriot-of-many View Post
    All the time, for decades.
    Ditto !
    Too much continual noise (not necessarily "too loud") over a number of years so I have a "dentist's drill whine" for over 25 years. Some days it isn't too bad but others, - - -.
    “I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted. The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

Guns Network Contributor 01/2015 Altarboy's Avatar

Sometimes I hear voices when I'm near any kind of droning machine. They aren't saying anything I can understand. It just sounds like someone talking. If it's windy in the woods, it happens as well.

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2013 alismith's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Altarboy View Post
    Sometimes I hear voices when I'm near any kind of droning machine. They aren't saying anything I can understand. It just sounds like someone talking. If it's windy in the woods, it happens as well.
    Those are signs of being a ghost whisperer....
    "Valar morghulis; valar dohaeris."

Commucrats are most efficient at converting sins and crimes to accidents or misunderstandings.-Oswald Bastable

Making good people helpless won't make bad people harmless.

Freedom isn't free.

"Attitude is the paintbrush that colors our world." TV Series, Haven.

My Spirit Animal has rabies.

I'd rather be an American than a Democrat.

"If you can make a man afraid, you can control him" Netflix Series, The Irregulars

Guns Network Lifetime Member #2

Quote Originally Posted by JTHunter View Post
    Ditto !
    Too much continual noise (not necessarily "too loud") over a number of years so I have a "dentist's drill whine" for over 25 years. Some days it isn't too bad but others, - - -.
    Mines probably from driving tractor trailers for about 30 years, not the quietest setting for sure. I remember one of my jobs a fellow driver wore earplugs, I kind of got a kick out of that, saying to myself that can't be safe. Who's laughing now, right?

I have had Tinnitus for over 50 years. The ringing in my ears are constant. This problem dates to my first .357 Mag revolver. There is no cure.

Mines probably from loud music loud cars loud dirt bikes, concerts, etc. I've always been pretty good about ear pro when shooting but I know guys that wear plugs and muffs. It sucks from what I've read you are right, there is no cure

I was a Senior Engineer during my working years. I could never pass hearing safety rules. It was a problem at times. There was always a danger that I would not hear a Mine explosion alert.

well the are ringing/buzzing pretty good today!

Team GunsNetwork PLATINUM 10/2012 rci2950's Avatar

blood pressure ok?
    Gunsnet member since 2002
    Salt Water Cowboy - Dolphin 38

Quote Originally Posted by rci2950 View Post
    blood pressure ok?
    131/80 after a few cups of coffee

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast