Thread: TYPES OF SHOTGUNS: DEFINITIONS AND USES FOR EACH KIND

Team GunsNet Gold 07/2012 / Super Moderator Gunreference1's Avatar

Post TYPES OF SHOTGUNS: DEFINITIONS AND USES FOR EACH KIND

After today, it's all historical.

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2013 alismith's Avatar

I find it interesting that bolt action shotguns are called "precision" shotguns. I have, at least, one in almost every gauge plus .410. They are great squirrel guns... My favorites are the ones with adjustable chokes.
    "Valar morghulis; valar dohaeris."

Commucrats are most efficient at converting sins and crimes to accidents or misunderstandings.-Oswald Bastable

Making good people helpless won't make bad people harmless.

Freedom isn't free.

"Attitude is the paintbrush that colors our world." TV Series, Haven.

My Spirit Animal has rabies.

I'd rather be an American than a Democrat.

"If you can make a man afraid, you can control him" Netflix Series, The Irregulars

Quote Originally Posted by alismith View Post
    I find it interesting that bolt action shotguns are called "precision" shotguns. I have, at least, one in almost every gauge plus .410. They are great squirrel guns... My favorites are the ones with adjustable chokes.
    Before we had any inkling of hunting, our Dad bought a Mossberg 3-shot bolt action 410 shotgun for my brother and me. I believe it was a full choke but we quickly found out its limitations in squirrel hunting. Used by an experienced hunter, it would be a good gun and provide an interesting challenge. But is isn't for novices, which we both were at that time.
    I own two shotguns. The first I bought was the ubiquitous Mossberg 500-C 12 gauge with interchangeable chokes. As I frequently hunted rabbits & quail, pheasant, and squirrels, I chafed at the variability of the distance and the lack of range the choke in the gun at that time. Ten years later, I chanced on a used Stevens 311 SxS with double triggers. It came with full and modified barrels but the first thing I did was to take it to the gunsmith two blocks from the store where I bought it. He bored it out and put in screw-in chokes for me and now I have Skeet 1, I.C., Mod., & Full. Now, I can put a lo-brass #6 in the I.C. side and either a hi-brass #6 or #4 in the Mod. or Full side and have 2 different ranges for whatever OR two different LOADS for different game.
    I hate to say it but the Mossberg has now been gathering dust for years.
    “I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted. The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”