Thread: The Perfect Lever-Action Rifle

Team GunsNet Gold 07/2012 / Super Moderator Gunreference1's Avatar

Post The Perfect Lever-Action Rifle

After today, it's all historical.

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2013 alismith's Avatar

Like the author, I prefer Winchesters (or Winchester clones) to any other type of lever action. I have them in .30-30, .357, .44 Mag, .22 LR and .22 Mag.

I'm not overly fond of Marlin LA's just because I don't like the tall receiver and side eject. Strictly cosmetic reasons. However, I do own a Guide Gun in .45-70. (Kicks like a really pissed off mule, too....)

Right now, I'm shooting mostly 92's by Rossi and haven't found a thing wrong with them, quality or accuracy wise.

Lever actions are pretty much the best all around rifle and if one is all you can have, a lever action is hard to beat.
    "Valar morghulis; valar dohaeris."

Commucrats are most efficient at converting sins and crimes to accidents or misunderstandings.-Oswald Bastable

Making good people helpless won't make bad people harmless.

Freedom isn't free.

"Attitude is the paintbrush that colors our world." TV Series, Haven.

My Spirit Animal has rabies.

I'd rather be an American than a Democrat.

"If you can make a man afraid, you can control him" Netflix Series, The Irregulars

The first firearm that I bought for (and by) myself was a Marlin Golden 39A .22. This baby could hold (IIRC) 22 Shorts, or 19 Longs, or 17 Long Rifle. It could also hold a mix of those three and would fire them all, unlike more recent vintage rifles, regardless of the type of action.
    Several years ago, I started looking for a .357 caliber rifle to pair with my GP-100. The guns I considered were the Uberti, the Winchester, the Rossi clone of the Winchester, the Henry, and the Marlin. The Henry was eliminated almost immediately due to the slowness of reloads with that front-loading tube magazine, similar to some .22s. The shiny brass receiver and the guns weight (unloaded) were two more cons.
    The Uberti, Winchester, and the Rossi all had a problem with the buttstock. They were all unpadded and so curved that the top & bottom edges gouged my shoulder. I also didn't like the top eject as I was considering a scope - JIC.
    Only the Marlin had the features I desired - side eject, side loading gate, moderate weight, and padded heel. IIRC, the Marlin also held 10 + 1 which was slightly more than the others.
    I got lucky and found one on GunBroker that was made in 1996 and is a "JM" stamped rifle (pre-Remlins).
    “I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted. The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2013 alismith's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JTHunter View Post
    The first firearm that I bought for (and by) myself was a Marlin Golden 39A .22. This baby could hold (IIRC) 22 Shorts, or 19 Longs, or 17 Long Rifle. It could also hold a mix of those three and would fire them all, unlike more recent vintage rifles, regardless of the type of action.
    Several years ago, I started looking for a .357 caliber rifle to pair with my GP-100. The guns I considered were the Uberti, the Winchester, the Rossi clone of the Winchester, the Henry, and the Marlin. The Henry was eliminated almost immediately due to the slowness of reloads with that front-loading tube magazine, similar to some .22s. The shiny brass receiver and the guns weight (unloaded) were two more cons.
    The Uberti, Winchester, and the Rossi all had a problem with the buttstock. They were all unpadded and so curved that the top & bottom edges gouged my shoulder. I also didn't like the top eject as I was considering a scope - JIC.
    Only the Marlin had the features I desired - side eject, side loading gate, moderate weight, and padded heel. IIRC, the Marlin also held 10 + 1 which was slightly more than the others.
    I got lucky and found one on GunBroker that was made in 1996 and is a "JM" stamped rifle (pre-Remlins).
    One of my deer hunting guns was a Marlin .357 carbine. It would spit out bullets almost as quickly as a semi-auto. Overall, I was satisfied with it, but it just didn't have the looks of a Winchester style lever action. I like the Winchester's lower receiver. It makes the whole gun look more streamlined. I ended with a two Winchester Trappers; one in .30-30 and one in .44 Mag.

I'm so glad Rossi makes the '92 Winchester style carbines as I, now, have two of those; one in .357 and one in .44 Mag.

I, also, have an original Marlin 39 carbine (no bluing left on it anywhere) and a NIB 39A. The 39A will, probably, stay NIB as I see no reason to shoot it. That 39 will hit matches at 30 yards all day long. Everyone I've let shoot it, wanted to take it home with them, but it's home is in my safe. I've seen other 39's but mine is much shorter than the others. Not sure if that's rare or not, but I don't really care; it's not for sale.

My other lever action is a Savage 99 in .308 which I haven't fired yet.

Lever actions are great guns, no matter who makes them or what caliber they're in.

p.s. Never have been crazy about Henry's for the reason you said and they are all so high priced compared to other company's offerings.
    "Valar morghulis; valar dohaeris."

Commucrats are most efficient at converting sins and crimes to accidents or misunderstandings.-Oswald Bastable

Making good people helpless won't make bad people harmless.

Freedom isn't free.

"Attitude is the paintbrush that colors our world." TV Series, Haven.

My Spirit Animal has rabies.

I'd rather be an American than a Democrat.

"If you can make a man afraid, you can control him" Netflix Series, The Irregulars