Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ahmaud Arbery

Quote Originally Posted by imanaknut View Post
    Haven't seen but am hearing that there is a security camera video that shows "the jogger" peaking in open garages.
    Also b/e a house under construction just before he met his demise.
    "And how we burned in the camps later thinking, what would things have been like, if every security operative, when he went out at night to make an arrest, had been uncertain, whether he would return alive and had to say good-bye to his family?"

Indiana, a state that is trying to remain free.
    So it seems that he did peek into that house under construction and someone called the cops on him because of that. Back when we decided to build our next house, my wife and I walked through hundreds of homes that were under construction. Not going to mention that being white is probably why nobody ratted on us...

Guns Network Contributor 01/2015 Altarboy's Avatar

I have the feeling the neighborhood is better off without all three guys.

Quote Originally Posted by imanaknut View Post
    So it seems that he did peek into that house under construction and someone called the cops on him because of that. Back when we decided to build our next house, my wife and I walked through hundreds of homes that were under construction. Not going to mention that being white is probably why nobody ratted on us...
    Ditto. I would hate to have gotten shot for taking an innocent peek at a house that belonged to the builder.

Guns Network Contributor 01/2015 Altarboy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NAPOTS View Post
    Ditto. I would hate to have gotten shot for taking an innocent peek at a house that belonged to the builder.

You wouldn't have run off. You would have said something along the lines of " Hey, hows it going. Wife and I are looking at homes. Didn't mean to get in the way."
    Then you would have walked away in a business like fashion.

Quote Originally Posted by Altarboy View Post
    You wouldn't have run off. You would have said something along the lines of " Hey, hows it going. Wife and I are looking at homes. Didn't mean to get in the way."
    Then you would have walked away in a business like fashion.
    Well the guys did charge up in a truck, guns in hand and yelled STOP. Don't move! Never identified themselves. I don't think anyone would have been calm. I don't think I would have reacted the exact same way, but it was totally STUPID of the dudes in the truck to NOT anticipate how people react when strangers come charging up to them with weapons.

Again, Arbery was a douche and NOT a simple jogger, but I can totally understand his panic and 'fight or flight' response to the situation. The simple solution is 'CALL the REAL police" because situations can go south fast.

Quote Originally Posted by Altarboy View Post
    The media is having a field day with it. I'm of the opinion that the neighborhood is better off without the two rednecks as well as the "jogger."
    Quote Originally Posted by alismith View Post
    Yeah. No matter who you are, if you go looking for trouble, you can, usually, find it.
    Agreed !
    While "vigilante justice" is rarely a good idea, the fact remains that the father of this pair was a police officer. Like so many people that have worked in one field most of their lives, the mindset can remain long after retirement. I believe their biggest mistake was following with guns. If they had gone with one recording this "jogger" and the other passing the information to the police (2 phones needed), there would be NO situation for the media now.
    Last edited by JTHunter; 05-12-2020 at 02:25 PM.
    “I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted. The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

I think from a self defense standpoint if you pursue someone with a gun it becomes harder to justify a shooting and turns it toward murder, maybe even 2nd or 1st degree. Sure the guy might have committed a crime minutes before, maybe he is a scumbag, maybe he is just a guy in the wrong place at the wrong time. You are not supposed to go playing cop. A retired police officer should know where this line is and I would expect have the training and experience necessary to avoid escalation to where you find your self in a shoot situation with an unarmed man.

We have a volunteer citizen police patrol in my town. The big thing is, if there is some shady shit going on, you call the real police. They have the statutory legal authority and lawyers supporting their actions, you do not.

Odd how media is silent on the elderly white couple who were assassinated by a black man with a scoped rifle while they were visiting their sons grave in the cemetery. Baffling really.
    "And how we burned in the camps later thinking, what would things have been like, if every security operative, when he went out at night to make an arrest, had been uncertain, whether he would return alive and had to say good-bye to his family?"

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2013 alismith's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 5.56NATO View Post
    Odd how media is silent on the elderly white couple who were assassinated by a black man with a scoped rifle while they were visiting their sons grave in the cemetery. Baffling really.
    Not really. It doesn't fit their agenda of showing that the White man is racist. Blacks can't be racist because of the color of their skin. Blackness precludes racism.
    "Valar morghulis; valar dohaeris."

Commucrats are most efficient at converting sins and crimes to accidents or misunderstandings.-Oswald Bastable

Making good people helpless won't make bad people harmless.

Freedom isn't free.

"Attitude is the paintbrush that colors our world." TV Series, Haven.

My Spirit Animal has rabies.

I'd rather be an American than a Democrat.

"If you can make a man afraid, you can control him" Netflix Series, The Irregulars

Team GunsNet Bronze 07/2011 T2K's Avatar

Here's what I've been able to ascertain:
    -there were some burglaries or break-ins in this area
    -the father was formerly a cop
    -the guy that got killed had a previous conviction for unlawfully carrying a pistol and shoplifting
    -the father and son knew the above
    -the guy that got killed was not jogging for exercise

Bottom line, though, is that as private citizens (ex-LEO is nothing more than you or me, a private citizen) they are on shaky ground at best by being out in the street openly carrying trying to corral a guy who is a suspect. This isn't Trayvon Part II. Just based on what I see so far.

If they were on their property, different story.
    If they were on the street, but not open carrying, different story.
    I predict some sort of conviction here, like manslaughter. Not Murder I.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12