Post Holster Position Options

Holster Position Options

Comfort and Application

Posted: Friday, November 5, 2010
    Updated: November 3rd, 2010 10:01 AM GMT-05:00
    FRANK BORELLI
    Equipment Review
    Officer.com

On any given forum that discusses firearms and related issues you will find a plethora of discussions about what people carry each day; what kind of gun, how much ammo, what knife, etc. What you won't find as many of is discussions about how the gun is carried or, maybe more important, where. I happened to have a recent conversation that revolved around holsters and the best way to carry a concealed weapon. When circumstances became part of the conversation I was surprised to see my conversation partner - a veteran law enforcement officer of almost 20 years - get a blank look on his face regarding how different circumstances might dictate different carry positions. He'd never thought about it. He put his holster on his belt, his gun in the holster and went about his day.

Given that about 92% of the population is right handed, probably the most common place for carrying a gun is on or near the right hip. Why? I'd venture to guess that - at least for off-duty cops - we're so used to carrying our weapon in a duty holster on our right hip that it's only natural to put it there off duty as well. It makes sense. We're used to knowing that the gun is there; we have the movement to reach it mastered. Whether we move the holster a bit forward or a bit back, or put it there using an in-the-waistband holster (inside the pants), it's still in the same general location. Concealment is usually not too difficult. In summer months the cops are all the guys wearing Hawaiin shirts unbuttoned. In cooler months we're the guys with sweatshirts or jackets - like everyone else. But in some situations this position for the gun makes no sense. Have you ever sat seat-belted into the driver's seat of your car (or passenger seat for that matter) and tried to draw your gun from this holster in a timely fashion? Good luck.

To read the rest of the story click the link below.

http://www.officer.com/web/online/On...tions/21$55282

Steve
    Last edited by Gunreference1; 11-05-2010 at 10:51 AM.
    After today, it's all historical.

Moderator & Team Gunsnet Platinum 07/2011 O.S.O.K.'s Avatar

Good article.

I'm usually a strong-side cant forward IWB guy myself. But I also will use other methods - I recently was in New Orleans on business and one of my guys wanted to go to this concert in the park thing. So, I put on an undershirt/holster rig. Its a 3/4 mesh shirt with built-in holsters under the arms. I put my Kel-tec PM9 in it - a light, flat 9mm. This is a deep concealment rig and not quick to access but is better than no gun. It does require that your shirt be loose-fitting though.

I've also employed pocket type holsters with the little guns... but I'd much rather have a 9mm.
    ~Nemo me impune lacessit~