Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Anyone have an opinion on Pietta

Mine should arrive Monday afternoon, which means I'll be able to pick it up Tuesday. My ammo order shows up Thursday, then Saturday its range time. That's if everything goes exactly as I want it to. Here's hoping.

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2013 alismith's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Woogiebear View Post
    Mine should arrive Monday afternoon, which means I'll be able to pick it up Tuesday. My ammo order shows up Thursday, then Saturday its range time. That's if everything goes exactly as I want it to. Here's hoping.
    Sounds like everything is falling into place nicely. Good luck.
    "Valar morghulis; valar dohaeris."

Commucrats are most efficient at converting sins and crimes to accidents or misunderstandings.-Oswald Bastable

Making good people helpless won't make bad people harmless.

Freedom isn't free.

"Attitude is the paintbrush that colors our world." TV Series, Haven.

My Spirit Animal has rabies.

I'd rather be an American than a Democrat.

"If you can make a man afraid, you can control him" Netflix Series, The Irregulars

Just got an update on my blunderbuss. It's in customs right now and is expected to arrive at the dealer's this week. From there, he'll dismantle it, check it out, shoot it, clean it, and ship it out.

Hopefully, I'll get it by the end of June.....Hopefully....

Commucrats are most efficient at converting sins and crimes to accidents or misunderstandings.-Oswald Bastable

Freedom isn't free.

"If you can make a man afraid, you can control him" Netflix Series, The Irregulars

I forgot to update you guys, I picked mine up a couple weeks ago and took it out this last sunday. It seems to shoot pretty well. I had a little trouble adjusting to the sights. With the top being radiused I had a hard time getting a consistent sight picture. My problem not the gun's and I think a good illustration of why sights have changed over the last 150 years since this pistol was developed. Once I got the hang of it it seemed more than accurate enough but I shoot my model 27 better.

A day with a pile of .38 specials and a couple revolvers is a good day. I wish more of the younger crowd would give it a try.

Quote Originally Posted by NAPOTS View Post
    I forgot to update you guys, I picked mine up a couple weeks ago and took it out this last sunday. It seems to shoot pretty well. I had a little trouble adjusting to the sights. With the top being radiused I had a hard time getting a consistent sight picture. My problem not the gun's and I think a good illustration of why sights have changed over the last 150 years since this pistol was developed. Once I got the hang of it it seemed more than accurate enough but I shoot my model 27 better.

A day with a pile of .38 specials and a couple revolvers is a good day. I wish more of the younger crowd would give it a try.
    Speaking of the younger crowd, I was at Lowe's the other day and bought some mulch. A polite, young guy loaded it for me and he saw some spent 9 mm. casings in the back and asked about them. He asked if I hunted, and I told him no longer, but I still shoot targets, informally. He said he'd never held a gun, let alone shot one. I offered to take him shooting with me the next time I go out. He seemed very excited about this and I got his number and will take him out to shoot his first gun. Hopefully, he'll have a great time. Maybe, I'll turn him into a responsible gun owner and shooter.

As far as the sights go on your 1873, you have to spend a little time figuring out where it shoots in relation to its sights. Then, use Kentucky windage to zero in, and you're all set. Mine shoots a little low and to the left.

Freedom isn't free.

Quote Originally Posted by alismith View Post
    Speaking of the younger crowd, I was at Lowe's the other day and bought some mulch. A polite, young guy loaded it for me and he saw some spent 9 mm. casings in the back and asked about them. He asked if I hunted, and I told him no longer, but I still shoot targets, informally. He said he'd never held a gun, let alone shot one. I offered to take him shooting with me the next time I go out. He seemed very excited about this and I got his number and will take him out to shoot his first gun. Hopefully, he'll have a great time. Maybe, I'll turn him into a responsible gun owner and shooter.

As far as the sights go on your 1873, you have to spend a little time figuring out where it shoots in relation to its sights. Then, use Kentucky windage to zero in, and you're all set. Mine shoots a little low and to the left.
    windage actually seemed pretty good. I'm just used to nice square sights so I wasn't consistent with my sight picture in regard to elevation. after a few dozen rounds I was shooting a bit better.

The trigger is not fantastic but also not bad.

I can understand about the sight picture, especially if you're used to shooting with different sights.

I'm more used to the sights on the 1873 than I am more modern sights because I started shooting with BP pistols and still shoot them rather frequently. I have much a harder time shooting modern sights.... Some of my pistols have just a bead front sight. That takes a lot of practice shooting for distance.

Like anything else, it just takes practice.

Freedom isn't free.

For my update, I got my pistol a few weeks ago and have already taken it to the range twice. It handles real well and is only a little to the right of point of aim from six yards away. That's probably more me than the pistol. The only issue is the timing is a little off. It cycles smoothly but the hammer doesn't lock into place at the same time the cylinder does, so gonna have to see what I can do to fix that. Other than that, I have already put about 100 rounds of .38 Special through it and I love it. Even got my old leather shoulder holster back from a buddy of mine from years ago. I had so much fun shooting the damn thing, I forgot to take pics. Next time I will remember to take some photos and post them.

As far as I know, mine's still in customs. The dealer doesn't update his work list like he says he'd do.

Still waiting.....tick, tock, tick, tock......

Freedom isn't free.

the trigger on mine is a little bit notchy is that normal with a SAA?

Quote Originally Posted by NAPOTS View Post
    the trigger on mine is a little bit notchy is that normal with a SAA?
    Not really sure about that. I hadn't noticed anything like that with mine. I wonder if it'll smooth out with a little more break in?

Freedom isn't free.

Not really sure about that. I hadn't noticed anything like that with mine. I wonder if it'll smooth out with a little more break in?
    I havent shot it much but noticed a little bit of a funny fealing when the trigget lets off. Almost like there are two stages. Right when I squeze the trigger as it feels sometimes like there is a little bit of a notch like I can feel the sear slip into a different spot. I don't notice this every time.

It probably has a small burr or something on the sear that will smooth out over time

The trigger is not bad by any means.

I don't know about the build qualities of Piettas but I think it will smooth out in the long run. Maybe 200 rounds? Maybe less? With a SAA as long as the timing is good you should not have any need to do any work on it. I am no professional with them, that's just based off of my experience. With mine, the timing is off just a little. Still playing with the idea of getting a new arm, taking it to a gunsmith, or tinkering with it myself. Worse case if I tinker with it is my problem is not fixed, the arm is ruined, and I have to by a new arm. Very tempted to give it a try.

To the best of my knowledge, Pietta makes a super quality firearm. I have quite a few of their BP revolvers and and oneof their modern SAA revolvers and all of them are super tight and have no issues at all.

Freedom isn't free.

To the best of my knowledge, Pietta makes a super quality firearm. I have quite a few of their BP revolvers and and oneof their modern SAA revolvers and all of them are super tight and have no issues at all.
    So I dry fired a few dozen time with a piece of heavy fabric between the hammer and frame as not to beat it up.

The timing feels great on it. What I am sensing is a little bit of take-up in the trigger pull. What is interesting is that the trigger stays retracted but being a single action I notice that it doesn't have a strong trigger return spring like a double action.

So a little bit of movement in the trigger in takeup and then a slight amount of creep before the hammer releases.

The takeup feels different and isn't what I am used to. The creep is slight and the trigger pull is light enough that I don't think it is a problem.

My blunderbuss has finally made it to the Dealer. According to his work list, it's "Ready to Prep."

It looks like I might get it before the summer is over.....maybe....

Tick tock.....tick tock.....tick tock.....

Freedom isn't free.

Here's a photo of what I ordered:

Freedom isn't free.

Here's a photo of what I ordered:

That is a pretty kick ass looking boomstick. I don't have any experience with flintlocks.

Do you use pyrodex or the real stuff?

You have to use real BP. Substitutes don't ignite reliably with flints.

BP is almost non-existent around here. The closest I've found is about 7 hrs. away. Makes for a very long day driving, especially around the DC beltway. The closest place that sells it is north of Winchester VA.

I did manage to find 5 pounds of it at a flea market 3 weeks ago....and it was half the price of what it costs in the store.

Freedom isn't free.

You have to use real BP. Substitutes don't ignite reliably with flints.

BP is almost non-existent around here. The closest I've found is about 7 hrs. away. Makes for a very long day driving, especially around the DC beltway. The closest place that sells it is north of Winchester VA.

I did manage to find 5 pounds of it at a flea market 3 weeks ago....and it was half the price of what it costs in the store.

Can you use pyrodex in the tube and BP in the pan?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast