Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Anyone have an opinion on Pietta

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2013 alismith's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NAPOTS View Post
    Can you use pyrodex in the tube and BP in the pan?
    I've thought about that, but haven't tried it yet. Whether it works, or not, will depend on the flash hole and how much flame it lets through.

I may try it on one of my other flintlocks and see if it works first.
    "Valar morghulis; valar dohaeris."

Commucrats are most efficient at converting sins and crimes to accidents or misunderstandings.-Oswald Bastable

Making good people helpless won't make bad people harmless.

Freedom isn't free.

"Attitude is the paintbrush that colors our world." TV Series, Haven.

My Spirit Animal has rabies.

I'd rather be an American than a Democrat.

"If you can make a man afraid, you can control him" Netflix Series, The Irregulars

That is a pretty kick ass looking boomstick. I don't have any experience with flintlocks.

Do you use pyrodex or the real stuff?
    I saw one in use in the TV series, "Turn, Washington's Spies," and decided I wanted one. So I ordered it.

Commucrats are most efficient at converting sins and crimes to accidents or misunderstandings.-Oswald Bastable

Freedom isn't free.

"If you can make a man afraid, you can control him" Netflix Series, The Irregulars

Team GunsNet Platinum 02/2015 davepool's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by alismith View Post
    To the best of my knowledge, Pietta makes a super quality firearm. I have quite a few of their BP revolvers and and oneof their modern SAA revolvers and all of them are super tight and have no issues at all.
    I have disassembled my Uberti 1858 BP and my Pietta 1858 side by side and i have to say uberti has a slight edge on quality. I'm talking about nit picky cosmetic stuff that doesn't effect function but just makes the gun run a little smoother.
    I always take my single actions apart and polish up the mating surfaces of the trigger mechanism, the uberti didn't require quite as much work as the pietta.

Here's a photo of what I ordered:

That is nice and shiney, it needs a bunch of carbon fouling to look right

Is that a safety to the rear of the cock ? never seen that before.

I've thought about that, but haven't tried it yet. Whether it works, or not, will depend on the flash hole and how much flame it lets through.

I may try it on one of my other flintlocks and see if it works first.
    I tried it in a cheap Traditions (interarms maybe) flintlock pistol and couldn't get it to ignite. BP is pretty easy to find around here so i didn't pursue it.

This thread is inspiring me to finish the Pedersoli flintlock pistol i started 2 years ago, i have the basic shape of the stock refined and was learning how to do wire inlays and getting way carried away so i took a break. I did the same thing with a lyman caplock pistol i built, i got too carried away and built a beautiful pistola that i don't shoot.

Quote Originally Posted by davepool View Post
    That is nice and shiney, it needs a bunch of carbon fouling to look right

Is that a safety to the rear of the cock ? never seen that before.
    Not having the gun here, all I can do is make an educated guess, and I'm guessing it is a type of hammer lock/safety so you can load the pan, cock it, and carry it without having to worry about the hammer falling on the frizzen.

Freedom isn't free.

So it's a cock lock

Quote Originally Posted by davepool View Post
    So it's a cock lock
    Sounds like it. I guess it's there to prevent going off prematurely.....

Freedom isn't free.

So it's like a chastity belt for your gun?

So it's like a chastity belt for your gun?
    Yup. It does prevent contact that would make sparks fly.
    Last edited by alismith; 07-09-2020 at 08:38 PM.

Freedom isn't free.

Ordered this last week from Dixie and it came today. Gonna clean it up tomorrow and load it.

I already have the 5 1/2" barrel but wanted the 6 1/2" to go with it, It's a fine looking revolver.

https://www.dixiegunworks.com/index/...VER+6.5%22+BBR

Freedom isn't free.

Wow that is nice and not a bad price either, pretty quick shipping for these times also

Well bad news boys, it looks like mine needs to go back to cimarron, we'll have to see how good their warranty service is. I have what I think is a timing issue or an issue with the fit of the cylinder stop. I have about 150 rounds through the pistol and have noticeable peening on the stop notches. The lockup is very loose on most cylinders and on a few of them the cylinder will pop past the stop notch. On another it won't rotate all of the way into lockup. So it's not safe rho shot as is

It is suppsed to be 10 days but my FFL warned me that right now it is taking longer, the state can take up to 30 days. He has had a few that went 12 and 15 days but he said the last 2 he transferred went in the normal 10. He is a home FFL so he doesn't do a ton of volume.
    Um correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't your pistol a Black Powder Cap & Ball revolver? Why the hell do you have a waiting period for it? I've never waited 10 days for a cap & ball firearm. Only BP handguns that require a 'waiting period' are ones that load centerfire cartridges.

Quote Originally Posted by tank_monkey View Post
    Um correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't your pistol a Black Powder Cap & Ball revolver? Why the hell do you have a waiting period for it? I've never waited 10 days for a cap & ball firearm. Only BP handguns that require a 'waiting period' are ones that load centerfire cartridges.
    His gun shoots modern cartridges. It's not a muzzle loader. That's why there's a waiting period on it. Pietta makes both modern firearms and muzzle loaders.

MD has more than just a waiting period, it has a handgun qualification certificate, a handgun written test, and all kinds of hoops to jump through; that's why I don't bother with modern handguns. Black Powder is fine with me. Just order and it's sent right to your door. No hoops to jump through.

Freedom isn't free.

Quote Originally Posted by tank_monkey View Post
    .357 magnum caliber

His gun shoots modern cartridges. It's not a muzzle loader. That's why there's a waiting period on it. Pietta makes both modern firearms and muzzle loaders.

MD has more than just a waiting period, it has a handgun qualification certificate, a handgun written test, and all kinds of hoops to jump through; that's why I don't bother with modern handguns. Black Powder is fine with me. Just order and it's sent right to your door. No hoops to jump through.
    I was checking the past posts, I didn't catch the modern cartridge part. It makes sense now. All my Pietts are C&B black powder, thus I can mail order them directly to my doorstep.

OK, so I did have to use their warranty policy. I shipped the gun to their authorized warranty place in Texas. They took good care of me and got it shipped back a week after they received it fixing the problem. I only had to pay the shipping there, they took care of everything else so I have to given them credit for good customer service even though I had a problem.

BTW the cost of shipping a handgun SUCKS!

Just got an email about tracking on my blunderbus. According to the email. it's scheduled to arrive here on Monday 4/12.

I'll be glad to finally get it. It's only been two years since I ordered it.

Oh well, better late than never.

Freedom isn't free.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123