Thread: Advice?

Advice?

Hi all,

My daughter (19 yo) has a good friend (also 19) who she would love to have come to the range with us to shoot. However, this girl is "afraid of guns", has never touched one (and probably never seen one up close) and doesn't want to shoot.

I don't want my daughter to pressure her (nor do I), but I'm sure after she shot a mag's worth of my Ruger MK-II, she would love it.

Any ideas or advice how to convince her to give it a try without being too pushy and turning her off to the whole idea?

Thanks.
    Gentlemen may prefer Blondes, but Real Men prefer Redheads!

My honest opinion. Let her know that it is an option available to her and the door is open if she is interested. Emphasize that safety is paramount and that if she does have an interest you will need to go over safety rules first. (Emphasis on safety hopefully plants a seed that will make her more comfortable).

I would leave it at that and probably not bring it up again. No one likes being forced into shit.

Now your daughter, being her friend, could a month later tell her what a great time she had going shooting with her dad....

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2013 alismith's Avatar

If she'll go with you and your daughter shooting, maybe when she sees your daughter having fun and scoring on targets/cans, she'll want to give it a try. If she doesn't, that's okay, too.

I have an idea once she witnesses all the fun that can be had, she'll be more inclined to give it a try.
    "Valar morghulis; valar dohaeris."

Commucrats are most efficient at converting sins and crimes to accidents or misunderstandings.-Oswald Bastable

Making good people helpless won't make bad people harmless.

Freedom isn't free.

"Attitude is the paintbrush that colors our world." TV Series, Haven.

My Spirit Animal has rabies.

I'd rather be an American than a Democrat.

"If you can make a man afraid, you can control him" Netflix Series, The Irregulars

Are you friendly with her parents?
    Possibly ask her dad along as well
    Make it a father daughter outing
    For peace of mind, resign as general manager of the universe

Team Gunsnet SILVER 05/2012 deth502's Avatar

id let her know its an option when it was brought up in front of her, and leave it alone. thats your daughters job to talk to her friend. leave it alone. first your trying to convince young girls to go out to the range with you, next thing you know youre being interviewed by chris hanson.

Team Gunsnet Platinum 06/2016 ltorlo64's Avatar

Start with a pellet gun. Same looks, same skills, similar weight, not nearly the noise. Good way to introduce someone.
    "Nothing ever gets so bad that government "help" can't make it worse." Pat Garrett, March 22, 2014

"HATE IS GOOD, WHEN ITS DIRECTED AT EVIL." PROBASCO, April 20, 2012

I tried to push the envelope, but found that it was stationery.

Have you heard about the new corduroy pillows? They're making head lines!

NRA Endowment Member

Quote Originally Posted by deth502 View Post
    id let her know its an option when it was brought up in front of her, and leave it alone. thats your daughters job to talk to her friend. leave it alone. first your trying to convince young girls to go out to the range with you, next thing you know youre being interviewed by chris hanson.
    Hey, he said 19 so it's all good. I'd still ask for ID first!

Quote Originally Posted by alismith View Post
    If she'll go with you and your daughter shooting, maybe when she sees your daughter having fun and scoring on targets/cans, she'll want to give it a try. If she doesn't, that's okay, too.

I have an idea once she witnesses all the fun that can be had, she'll be more inclined to give it a try.
    That's a great idea... just bring her to watch... and maybe it will inspire her to try it.

Quote Originally Posted by ltorlo64 View Post
    Start with a pellet gun. Same looks, same skills, similar weight, not nearly the noise. Good way to introduce someone.
    I don't have a pellet gun right now, but I could let her try the .22 pistol with blanks. I've got a box of those "power cartridges" that are used in tools that drive concrete anchors into cinderblocks. They look like .22 shorts (a tiny bit longer - and the end is crimped shut). They are .22 cal and fit nicely in the pistol. They make a loud bang and a decent muzzle flash, but nothing shoots out and there's no recoil.

Those blanks in a .22 rifle along with a .22 cal lead pellet from an air rifle are wicked. I didn't chrono them, but based on the light weight of the pellet, they must come out around 3000 fps.

If I shoot a quarter with a .22 LR, it makes a hole with the metal "petaled out" on the back side. Shot with a blank and a pellet, it makes a CLEAN hole that almost looks drilled. Almost no metal rolls out. That's why I think they are faster. They also clearly make a supersonic "snap" sound when fired through the air into the berm and the time between firing and seeing the puff of dust from the impact is noticeable shorter (like the difference between an AK and an AR).

Quote Originally Posted by Full Otto View Post
    Are you friendly with her parents?
    Possibly ask her dad along as well
    Make it a father daughter outing
    She lives with her dad - her mom bugged out a long time ago. Don't know the story behind it.

And, she doesn't get along with her dad very well, so asking him is probably a bad idea. She is 19 and technically doesn't need her dad's permission, but if she does come with us, I'll insist on a written and signed permission slip.

Quote Originally Posted by NAPOTS View Post
    Hey, he said 19 so it's all good. I'd still ask for ID first!
    I'm sure she's 19, but I'll still want to see proof, as well as getting a signed and written permission slip. I know as a parent that if someone were taking MY daughter shooting, I would want to know about it, even if she IS old enough to not need to ask. Don't need THAT kind of trouble. You can bet I'll CMA.