Thread: DON’T DO THESE THINGS WITH YOUR 1911!

Team GunsNet Gold 07/2012 / Super Moderator Gunreference1's Avatar

Post DON’T DO THESE THINGS WITH YOUR 1911!

After today, it's all historical.

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2013 alismith's Avatar

Damn, I'm guilty of closing the slide, on an empty chamber, incorrectly. Good thing I read this. Won't close it like that anymore.
    "Valar morghulis; valar dohaeris."

Commucrats are most efficient at converting sins and crimes to accidents or misunderstandings.-Oswald Bastable

Making good people helpless won't make bad people harmless.

Freedom isn't free.

"Attitude is the paintbrush that colors our world." TV Series, Haven.

My Spirit Animal has rabies.

I'd rather be an American than a Democrat.

"If you can make a man afraid, you can control him" Netflix Series, The Irregulars

Yep closing the slide full force is bad juju. It is my understanding that if you have a trigger job it can mess up the sear and hammer engagement and create a potentially unsafe situation where the hammer can follow the slide home if you do it a lot. It can also mess up your trigger pull.

One thing that wasn't on the list is never to manually lower the hammer. I was taught that you should always drop the hammer by dry firing it (double check that it is empty first). Easing the hammer down will cause it to wear on the sear in ways it was not intended to.

Another thing that I have heard, that I think may be bunk is not to rotate the barrel bushing with the barrel locked into the locking lugs, that it should be pulled out of battery first so the bushing is rotating on a narrower part of the barrel to prevent wear.

Quote Originally Posted by NAPOTS View Post
    Yep closing the slide full force is bad juju. It is my understanding that if you have a trigger job it can mess up the sear and hammer engagement and create a potentially unsafe situation where the hammer can follow the slide home if you do it a lot. It can also mess up your trigger pull.

One thing that wasn't on the list is never to manually lower the hammer. I was taught that you should always drop the hammer by dry firing it (double check that it is empty first). Easing the hammer down will cause it to wear on the sear in ways it was not intended to.

Another thing that I have heard, that I think may be bunk is not to rotate the barrel bushing with the barrel locked into the locking lugs, that it should be pulled out of battery first so the bushing is rotating on a narrower part of the barrel to prevent wear.
    I don't mess with the internals of any gun I have, other than to clean and oil it. I don't shoot my 1911 very much, so it hasn't been a real issue (and never will be now). I prefer shooting BP revolvers and modern revolvers over semi's.

Commucrats are most efficient at converting sins and crimes to accidents or misunderstandings.-Oswald Bastable

Freedom isn't free.

"If you can make a man afraid, you can control him" Netflix Series, The Irregulars

Quote Originally Posted by alismith View Post
    I don't mess with the internals of any gun I have, other than to clean and oil it. I don't shoot my 1911 very much, so it hasn't been a real issue (and never will be now). I prefer shooting BP revolvers and modern revolvers over semi's.
    I shot BP (pyrodex) with my dad growing up. The deep clean necessary after each outing as well as the limited number of shots before it got too gummed up to work kinda turned me off. I love my S&W revolvers and have a SAA clone on the way. But I also like shooting my 1911s and my CZ. I'm just not much of a striker fired or polymer fan. No knock against them they just don't scratch my itch.

I use Pyrodex in revolvers, peecussion rifles, and shotguns, but use BP in anything that is a flintlock. Pyrodex is very hard to ignite with a flint.

Freedom isn't free.