Thread: Baofeng radio - free battery

Baofeng radio - free battery

Hi all,

I purchased a high capacity lithium ion battery pack for my Baofeng 2 meter/450 handheld radio. However, I bought the wrong one. The one I got fits most Baofeng UV-5R radios, but not the one I have (a UV-5R EX) which takes a special battery. Anyone who has a UV-5R radio is welcomed to this battery pack - free. Just PM me your addy and it's yours. It's brand new, never used, never even charged.
    Gentlemen may prefer Blondes, but Real Men prefer Redheads!

Team Gunsnet SILVER 05/2012 deth502's Avatar

so whats special about the ex? ive got a standard uv-5r, but i have the "battery pack" adapter thing where you stuff the aa batteries in it.

There's the reglar uv5r pack that covers just the back of the ht, and a hicap pack that actually extends over the back and bottom of the ht, providing for prolonged operation.
    "And how we burned in the camps later thinking, what would things have been like, if every security operative, when he went out at night to make an arrest, had been uncertain, whether he would return alive and had to say good-bye to his family?"

Guns Network Lifetime Member #2

Are there any good cheap radios for the 6 and 4 meter bands? I have a couple radios in my humvee but need something fairly cheap to add to my 5 tons or deuce and a half when me and the mrs. finally take them on parades ect. 12 or 24 volts, 24 preferred but not necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by 5.56NATO View Post
    There's the reglar uv5r pack that covers just the back of the ht, and a hicap pack that actually extends over the back and bottom of the ht, providing for prolonged operation.
    this i know. i was asking about the radio. why do i need to throw my uv5r away to get the ex model now? what am i missing out on?

the aa pack i use is larger like the xt battery. a bit more awkward, but i like the idea that in an emergency situation, if i lose charge, i dont need to find special chargers or power ports, just the ubiquitous aa battery

Quote Originally Posted by deth502 View Post
    so whats special about the ex? ive got a standard uv-5r, but i have the "battery pack" adapter thing where you stuff the aa batteries in it.
    this i know. i was asking about the radio. why do i need to throw my uv5r away to get the ex model now? what am i missing out on?

the aa pack i use is larger like the xt battery. a bit more awkward, but i like the idea that in an emergency situation, if i lose charge, i dont need to find special chargers or power ports, just the ubiquitous aa battery
    There's nothing special about the EX. It just has a slightly "nicer" look to it, and on high power it's 5 watts instead of 4. The battery packs, however, are not compatible. The one I (mistakenly) bought is for a standard UV-5R, it doesn't fit the EX. If you want it, it's yours. Let me know.

Quote Originally Posted by 1 Patriot-of-many View Post
    Are there any good cheap radios for the 6 and 4 meter bands? I have a couple radios in my humvee but need something fairly cheap to add to my 5 tons or deuce and a half when me and the mrs. finally take them on parades ect. 12 or 24 volts, 24 preferred but not necessary.
    There is no amateur 4 meter band... http://www.arrl.org/news/fcc-turns-d...band-in-the-us

Why wouldn't you want 2 meters or the 70 cm band? That's where most hams are (who aren't on HF).

Quote Originally Posted by Krupski View Post
    There is no amateur 4 meter band... http://www.arrl.org/news/fcc-turns-d...band-in-the-us

Why wouldn't you want 2 meters or the 70 cm band? That's where most hams are (who aren't on HF).
    Well that's a bummer. I need a 6 meter capable cheap radio. I need to use a band compatible with military radio RT-524. I believe the 6 meter band is within the low channel frequencies of my existing radio. 30.00 to 52.95 MHz (Low Channel);
    53.00 to 75.95 MHz (High Channel) I only want be able to communicate between my humvee and my other bigger trucks but don't want to pay out the $$$ for another RT524.

There's nothing special about the EX. It just has a slightly "nicer" look to it, and on high power it's 5 watts instead of 4. The battery packs, however, are not compatible. The one I (mistakenly) bought is for a standard UV-5R, it doesn't fit the EX. If you want it, it's yours. Let me know.
    thanks, ill bow out, i think EVERYBODY has a uv5r, im surprised it lasted this long, but i mainly use disposables, so someone could probably put it to better use.

Well that's a bummer. I need a 6 meter capable cheap radio. I need to use a band compatible with military radio RT-524. I believe the 6 meter band is within the low channel frequencies of my existing radio. 30.00 to 52.95 MHz (Low Channel);
    53.00 to 75.95 MHz (High Channel) I only want be able to communicate between my humvee and my other bigger trucks but don't want to pay out the $$$ for another RT524.
    ill let someone with a bit more knowledge chime in, but i think a lot of those frequencies are probably military only and not free for you to legally broadcast on with or without a licence. afaik, anything from 30-50 and 54 to 144mhz are all no-no areas. and even those that are in the legal range require a permission slip form the fcc. if by "talk to big trucks" you mean cb/11 meter, thats gonna be in the upper 20mhz area. 26, 27ish iirc.

unless i read that wrong. yes, 6m is IN THERE, partially, 50-54 mhz. but outside of that none of those frequencies are "open"

unless i read that wrong. yes, 6m is IN THERE, partially, 50-54 mhz. but outside of that none of those frequencies are "open"
    That's my point for wanting a 6 Meter band radio. By big trucks I mean M923, M936A2, M35A3 ect..... https://scontent-msp1-1.xx.fbcdn.net...ed&oe=5EFD5EAA

That's my point for wanting a 6 Meter band radio. By big trucks I mean M923, M936A2, M35A3 ect..... https://scontent-msp1-1.xx.fbcdn.net...ed&oe=5EFD5EAA
    Well, aside from FRS and GMRS, there is nowhere you can transmit legally. As far as the 30 to 146 mhz range, 6 meters and 2 meters amateur (ham) bands are in there. You would need a ham license to use them. Do you just want to talk between vehicles? If so, FRS would do it for you, and those inexpensive Baofeng radios work on FRS frequencies, although you would have to program them into the radio using a PC.

Well, aside from FRS and GMRS, there is nowhere you can transmit legally. As far as the 30 to 146 mhz range, 6 meters and 2 meters amateur (ham) bands are in there. You would need a ham license to use them. Do you just want to talk between vehicles? If so, FRS would do it for you, and those inexpensive Baofeng radios work on FRS frequencies, although you would have to program them into the radio using a PC.
    I plan on getting my ham to legally operate in the 6 meter band. Yes it would be just between vehicles during convoying ect using the RT524 in the humvee and some cheap 6 meter radio if I can find one in the other vehicles.. Point is I want to use the military radio in the humvee in the 6 meter band and some cheaper radios in the other trucks. The RT524, cables, antennas are generally spendy other wise I would put an RT524 in all of them. Any suggestions on a cheap 6 meter band radio?

I plan on getting my ham to legally operate in the 6 meter band. Yes it would be just between vehicles during convoying ect using the RT524 in the humvee and some cheap 6 meter radio if I can find one in the other vehicles.. Point is I want to use the military radio in the humvee in the 6 meter band and some cheaper radios in the other trucks. The RT524, cables, antennas are generally spendy other wise I would put an RT524 in all of them. Any suggestions on a cheap 6 meter band radio?
    6 meter coverage is usually part of an HF radio... and these are not inexpensive. I don't know of any 6 meter only radios (but then again I never looked due to no interest in 6m). I suppose Google would find some if they exist. Why not just get the military surplus radio? They already run on 24 volts... all the ham stuff runs on 12... you would need to build or buy a 24 to 12 converter that could handle 20 amps or more... lots of $$$ right there.

6 meter coverage is usually part of an HF radio... and these are not inexpensive. I don't know of any 6 meter only radios (but then again I never looked due to no interest in 6m). I suppose Google would find some if they exist. Why not just get the military surplus radio? They already run on 24 volts... all the ham stuff runs on 12... you would need to build or buy a 24 to 12 converter that could handle 20 amps or more... lots of $$$ right there.
    I do have one converter already sitting out in the garage brand new. You can connect to one battery in the bank to run 12V also so the voltage isn't an issue, price is. I have almost $2000 in the RT524 and R442, cables, antenna's and mounts. Okay well I thought I'd ask, I'll look around, figured you might have some ideas. I've looked a bit, there are some about $200-$250 a lot cheaper than buying a known good or refurbished RT524 , cables, antenna ect. Milsurplus isn't cheap like that. https://www.dxengineering.com/parts/alo-dr-06t Here's one, ever heard of this company? i'll bug you later about what I should study ect on getting my ham license.
    Last edited by 1 Patriot-of-many; 06-03-2020 at 11:57 PM.

I do have one converter already sitting out in the garage brand new. You can connect to one battery in the bank to run 12V also so the voltage isn't an issue, price is. I have almost $2000 in the RT524 and R442, cables, antenna's and mounts. Okay well I thought I'd ask, I'll look around, figured you might have some ideas. I've looked a bit, there are some about $200-$250 a lot cheaper than buying a known good or refurbished RT524 , cables, antenna ect. Milsurplus isn't cheap like that. https://www.dxengineering.com/parts/alo-dr-06t Here's one, ever heard of this company? i'll bug you later about what I should study ect on getting my ham license.
    The ARRL (Amateur Radio Relay League) is probably the best source of info for everything ham radio related. They have study guides for each class of license with theory and a list of the questions from the "question pool" (the test draws from the pool, but the test doesn't have all of them). If you study the book and can answer the questions in the pool, you've got it made.

Check here: http://www.arrl.org/licensing-education-training

You can get the ARRL study guide from Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/ARRL-Ham-Radi.../dp/1625950136

Make sure you get the manual that has the 2020 question pool updates.

Anything I can help you with, let me know.

For shits and giggles I took a bunch of test exams at Hamexam.org Failed about 6 times, passed twice once with a 29 and once 26. Should do better after reading book I just ordered. The first few tests were pissing me off. I was getting just under, the lowest was 19 right from the get go. By repetition and going through the randomized pool , I'm routinely passing with 29 or better. Should be a breeze for the Technician after I understand the stuff I'm missing with the book. Thanks Roger.
    Last edited by 1 Patriot-of-many; 06-05-2020 at 10:04 PM.