Thread: All this hubub about using the military to keep the peace...

All this hubub about using the military to keep the peace...

I guess people are forgetting that this is not without precedent.

The 101st Airborne Division was deployed at the end of segregation in the south for that very reason

I am a bit surprised at the selective memory of some folks, including senior military leaders.

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2015 mrkalashnikov's Avatar

A famous photo right there.

I like the young James Dean-looking guy in the plaid shirt looking over his shoulder. It looks like he's about to say, "Hey, watch where you're pointing that thing!"
    Nietzsche: From life's school of war: what does not kill me makes me stronger.

Indiana, a state that is trying to remain free.
    Yep, it is unfortunate that most people don't even remember what happened yesterday.

I took, as have many on this forum, an oath to support and defend the Constitution of the United States. I understand the reluctance of the military to be put in-front of American civilians. That is something that thankfully is not a regular occurrence in the united states. However, misgivings about the appropriateness should be aired in private for cabinet members. Our soldiers are trained that they have a duty NOT to follow unlawful orders. However, no orders have been issued. If the president ordered the military to open fire on crowds of protesters they should lay their arms down and refuse. Ordering a show of force to protect the innocent and private property in time of insurrection is not an illegal order. Using force to protect such life and property in times of riot is also lawful. Guys like Mathis making the criticism he did, sure as a private citizen he is free to, is beneath the office he held.

The media are fucking pandering cowards like always.

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2013 alismith's Avatar

Wasn't there another incident on the Washington Mall sometime after WWI, when the President used the military, under a young, future-General Douglas MacAuthur, to clear out a tent city that WWI veterans had erected in protest of not receiving military benefits? Not sure when it was, though....
    "Valar morghulis; valar dohaeris."

Commucrats are most efficient at converting sins and crimes to accidents or misunderstandings.-Oswald Bastable

Making good people helpless won't make bad people harmless.

Freedom isn't free.

"Attitude is the paintbrush that colors our world." TV Series, Haven.

My Spirit Animal has rabies.

I'd rather be an American than a Democrat.

"If you can make a man afraid, you can control him" Netflix Series, The Irregulars

Guns Network Lifetime Member #2

Quote Originally Posted by alismith View Post
    Wasn't there another incident on the Washington Mall sometime after WWI, when the President used the military, under a young, future-General Douglas MacAuthur, to clear out a tent city that WWI veterans had erected in protest of not receiving military benefits? Not sure when it was, though....
    Bonus Army. All our favorite Generals participated in rooting out former veterans from their encampment. 1932
    Last edited by 1 Patriot-of-many; 06-04-2020 at 02:48 PM.

“I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted. The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

Quote Originally Posted by imanaknut View Post
    Yep, it is unfortunate that most people don't even remember what happened yesterday.
    Using the military inside our borders is illegal except to stop insurrection. The rioters, as far as I know, are not trying to take over the Country.

The individual governors should be handling the problem using state and local police, but I can understand that the police don't want to get their little piddies dirty or (horrors) get a cut or bruise.

Everyone is bitching that Pres. Trump "isn't doing enough" to control the riots. Why do they expect HIM to handle it? It's the responsibility of the state government, not federal.
    Gentlemen may prefer Blondes, but Real Men prefer Redheads!

Quote Originally Posted by Krupski View Post
    Using the military inside our borders is illegal except to stop insurrection. The rioters, as far as I know, are not trying to take over the Country.
    There have been plenty of examples that didn't rise to the level of an attempt to take over the country over the last 100 or so years. Desegregation was one, LA Riots another.

I believe it should be last resort but I agree with the sentiment of the president at the time, get control of your cities or the federal government will have to act to protect american interests, one of those options available for action is the deployment of military personnel. It seems the threat worked, governor's for the most part got off their asses and mobilized the national guard and actually started arresting people for crimes. It worked here in CA in Sacramento, once the NG showed up and they started enforcing the laws the trouble makers went away and the protests remained peaceful for the most part. Everyone's 1st amendment rights were respected.

These days the difference between the NG and active Army is semantic from a legal standpoint, they attend the same training. Their legal authority is just derived differently. Its like saying that technically a duck is not a chicken but they are both poultry.

What I suspect is Trump is warning the nwo, more specifically their leadership like soros and 0bama, that he will use the act if they push him. W busch used it, so modern precedence exists. Letting these terrorists continue ransacking cities will only encourage them.
    "And how we burned in the camps later thinking, what would things have been like, if every security operative, when he went out at night to make an arrest, had been uncertain, whether he would return alive and had to say good-bye to his family?"

Team GunsNet Bronze 10/2014

with all this bs about defunding police departments, it may come to using the insurrection act. when law abiding citizens armed and un-armed are left without law enforcement, something will have to give. either the government will protect us or chaos will reign and we do it ourselves. neither will be to the likening of most.