Quote Originally Posted by JTHunter View Post
Okay Napots, I'll give you a recipe, although this is more of a marinade.
Take one of those plastic 5 qt. ice cream pails and start with 1/2 cup of vinegar, 1/4 - 1/3 cup mustard, 1/2 cup EACH ketchup and BBQ sauce, ~ 1 pint of cold water, assorted spices (garlic powder {NOT "salt"}, onion powder, cumin, thyme, marjoram, rosemary, etc.), then stir vigorously to mix. NOW, add 1 can of beer and stir GENTLY (so you don't lose the carbonation). Then put your meat of choice in the pail, making sure it is completely covered, replace the lid and put in the fridge overnight.
Remove the meat about 10-15 minutes before going on the grill to let the excess liquid drip off.
Near the end of grilling, you can brush on your favorite BBQ sauce or wait until the meat is off to avoid possible burning of the sauce.
I have used this for squirrel, rabbit, groundhog/woodchuck, pork steaks, chicken breasts/thighs/drumsticks, T-bones, rib-eyes, and porterhouse steaks.
hmm my go to on a marinade like that would be, suprise suprise, a tri tip. Mostly because it is a large muscle cut, usually fairly tender, I don't think I have ever had one with a big piece of gristle in it, they are common around here and not too expensive. I think the three pounder I just cooked was around $22, and I know how to cook them the way I like.

How much can you taste the mustard when it is done? Do you ever marinade in a gallon zip lock? I seem to be able to get away with less marinade that way.