Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Suggestion for site admin

Quote Originally Posted by JTHunter View Post
    Okay Napots, I'll give you a recipe, although this is more of a marinade.
    Take one of those plastic 5 qt. ice cream pails and start with 1/2 cup of vinegar, 1/4 - 1/3 cup mustard, 1/2 cup EACH ketchup and BBQ sauce, ~ 1 pint of cold water, assorted spices (garlic powder {NOT "salt"}, onion powder, cumin, thyme, marjoram, rosemary, etc.), then stir vigorously to mix. NOW, add 1 can of beer and stir GENTLY (so you don't lose the carbonation). Then put your meat of choice in the pail, making sure it is completely covered, replace the lid and put in the fridge overnight.
    Remove the meat about 10-15 minutes before going on the grill to let the excess liquid drip off.
    Near the end of grilling, you can brush on your favorite BBQ sauce or wait until the meat is off to avoid possible burning of the sauce.
    I have used this for squirrel, rabbit, groundhog/woodchuck, pork steaks, chicken breasts/thighs/drumsticks, T-bones, rib-eyes, and porterhouse steaks.
    hmm my go to on a marinade like that would be, suprise suprise, a tri tip. Mostly because it is a large muscle cut, usually fairly tender, I don't think I have ever had one with a big piece of gristle in it, they are common around here and not too expensive. I think the three pounder I just cooked was around $22, and I know how to cook them the way I like.

How much can you taste the mustard when it is done? Do you ever marinade in a gallon zip lock? I seem to be able to get away with less marinade that way.

Quote Originally Posted by NAPOTS View Post
    How much can you taste the mustard when it is done? Do you ever marinade in a gallon zip lock? I seem to be able to get away with less marinade that way.
    Actually, there isn't a lot of mustard taste, just a little tartness.
    No because I usually do 2-3 rabbits (cut up), 5-6 squirrels, one groundhog, or 6-8 pork steaks.
    “I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted. The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

So I turned this;

Into This;

I spatchkocked the chicken, applied some kosher salt and Pappy's Blue Label both under and on top of the skin. I let it sit in the fridge for a couple hours uncovered and then cooked indirect until the internal temp hit 160.

I used hickory for smoke

And you didn't invite me for supper?!? What kind of friend are you??
    “I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted. The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

I asked the butcher for a thick one, he came back with a 2 pounder

Team GunsNetwork PLATINUM 10/2012 rci2950's Avatar

We should include recipes and techniques for cooking non standard forms of meat as well. So we may educate ourselves for the upcoming war and famine.
    Gunsnet member since 2002
    Salt Water Cowboy - Dolphin 38

Quote Originally Posted by rci2950 View Post
    We should include recipes and techniques for cooking non standard forms of meat as well. So we may educate ourselves for the upcoming war and famine.
    Can't eat democrats, they are so full of bullshit, drugs and venereal disease that they will make you sick

Team GunsNetwork PLATINUM 10/2012 rci2950's Avatar

Can't eat democrats, they are so full of bullshit, drugs and venereal disease that they will make you sick
    in India they can make cow shit palatable with the use of strong curry. Is I would imagine after having cooked out all the aids that the average democrat might be more in line with curried pork
    Gunsnet member since 2002
    Salt Water Cowboy - Dolphin 38

Quote Originally Posted by rci2950 View Post
    in India they can make cow shit palatable with the use of strong curry. Is I would imagine after having cooked out all the aids that the average democrat might be more in line with curried pork
    There is nothing that could be done to EVER make that "meat" safe or palatable. Kind of like the TOFU (and any other "fake meat") they keep pushing.

Just remembered something that goes along with those "plant-based meats".
    Think about this - what are the creatures called that eat plants?
    Cattle. Or they could be called "prey".
    Now the question is this: Do YOU want to be "prey" or "predator"?
    Last edited by JTHunter; 11-10-2020 at 09:51 PM.

Just put a few things on the grill

What is that on the upper shelf to the right of the brats?
    And are those "half chickens" on the bottom?

What is that on the upper shelf to the right of the brats?
    And are those "half chickens" on the bottom?
    Upper right is a Boston butt pork roast for pulled pork, it was a real shame, my pork grease dripping on my chicken like that. Those were half chickens.

Smoked brats are amazing by the way

I did another tri-tip on the pellet grill and I did it a little different then I normally do. I started with a trimmed tri-tip that was around 3 lbs. I didn't need to do any additional trimming but some people might have. It had about 1/4" of fat on one side which I like to leave on but some folks will trim off. I rinsed the tri-tip in cold water and patted dry with paper towels. I then coated generously with kosher salt, coarse black pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, and coarse ground garlic. I don't use a binder and have never had trouble getting the rub to stick.

I let it rest uncovered in the fridge overnight on a drying rack so both sides could breathe.

I smoked it at 225 for about 2 hours until the internal temperature reached about 120 degrees. I flipped it once an hour in starting with the fat side up. I then finished it on the gas grill with the temperature turned all of the way up and seared it until the internal temp reached 128. I was careful not to burn it so I had to turn it fairly frequently to get the right amount of sear.

I am used to cooking tri-tip over charcoal which is a lot higher temperature cook. The big difference here was I had a nice 1/4" pink smoke ring and then the entire inside was a beautify medium pink the whole way through. The cook was very even. I am used to a more distinct gradient in the meat where it is more well done along the outside and has a rarer center. I am very happy with how this turned out. It was a good cut of meat, not prime, but a very good cut with a lot of inter-muscular fat. I believe it was $6.99/lb.

The tri-tip might look a little funny because I cut a few slices from the tip before I took the picture, it smelled so good I couldn't help myself.
    Last edited by NAPOTS; 11-30-2020 at 04:15 PM.

The tri-tip might look a little funny because I cut a few slices from the tip before I took the picture, it smelled so good I couldn't help myself.
    From the looks of it, you had good reason for a "taste test" !!

How's about a Chili Recipe?

~1.5 lbs stew meat or stir fry meat cut into small cubes
    ~1 lb spicy country style pork sausage
    4-6 large ripe fresh jalapeños, diced remove seeds and membrane
    6 or 7 fresh serrano peppers, diced remove seeds and membrane
    1 red bell pepper, diced, remove seeds and membrane
    2 poblano or annaheim peppers, roasted on stove, remove skin, seeds, and membrane, diced
    5 cloves garlic, minced
    1 yellow onion, chopped
    2 small cans tomato paste
    2 cans diced tomatoes, spicy with habeneros, don't drain
    2 29 oz cans of red kidney beans, rinsed
    2 packets of mccormics texas chili seasoning
    2 tbl spoons of chili powder per lb of meat
    1 tbl spoon of cumin per lb of meat
    1 tsp of cayenne pepper per lb of meat
    1 tsp red pepper flakes per lb of meat
    1 tsp of paprika per lb of meat
    1 tbl spoon of garlic powder/lb of meat
    1 tbl spoon of onion powder/lb of meat
    1 tbl spoon of mexican oregano/lb of meat
    1 tbl spoon of kosher salt/lb of meat
    1 tsp of coarse ground black pepper/lb of meat
    1/2 tsp of chipolte powder
    1/4 tsp of white pepper
    2-4 table spoons of masa de harina
    generous amount of lousiana hot sauce
    generous amount of whorchesterchire sauce

brown the stew meat over medium high heat with a little olive oil, drain and throw meat in pot
    pretty much cook the pork sausage over medium heat with a little olive oil, smash it up with a spatula as it cooks so you only have small pieces when it is done. I usually don't have that much grease, drain if you want, throw meat in pot
    take chopped jalapenos, serranos, bell pepper, poblano peppers, onion, and minced garlic and simmer on medium to medium high heat with some olive oil in the pan until the onions are translucent, throw in pot
    add tomato paste
    add diced tomatoes with habaneros, don't drain
    add rinsed beans
    add several cups of water until it is a little soupy (2-4 cups ought to be enough)
    add spices (DO NOT ADD THE MASA AT THIS STEP)
    mix thoroughly

cook in slow cooker on high stirring frequently to prevent burning for 4 hours
    add several tablespoons of masa after 3 1/2 hours and stir it in well until the consistency thickens.

let cool and refrigerate.

Reheat and eat the next day.

I forgot to add, prepare for your butthole to be destroyed

I forgot to add, prepare for your butthole to be destroyed
    No doubt !! WOW !!

No doubt !! WOW !!
    I think I'll name the recip "backyard bonfire" for obvious reasons

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12