Thread: Hornady 6mm ARC (advanced rifle cartridge)

Team GunsNet Platinum 02/2015 davepool's Avatar

Hornady 6mm ARC (advanced rifle cartridge)

This is the latest AR-15 compatible offering from Hornandy. It's touted as being very accurate with 1000 yd capability ( with 105-108 grn bullets ). There is no load data out yet but the case dimensions are VERY close to the 6BR i shoot out of one of my custom savages which shoots .250" groups at 100 yds with boring regularity.

I've got an armalite M-15 target rifle that shoots .750" groups pretty consistently with federal GMM, not bad for a stock auto-loader. If the 6mmARC can get that under .500" i might build one.

Not real sure about feeding out of a magazine, it's a short fat cartridge that shoots long bullets, i've heard from folks these don't work well in auto-loaders

Hornady has been busy lately the 6.5 creedmore has taken the market by storm (even bad shooters can get sub 1'' groups) if this cartridge can match that reputation a lot of guys are going to buy all new loading dies

Team GunsNet Platinum 02/2014 Hatedbysheeple's Avatar

I have had a 300 Prc Bergara HMR Pro for a month now, haven’t had the chance to shoot it but have started loading by bullet jump ladders. It’s magazine fed and the only issue is with 230gr hornady a-tips I have .01” clearance in the mag and I am still left with .06” jump, it’s not horrible and with a more normal profile bullet I can make it to the lands if I wanted. My current coal is 3.762” the saami coal is 3.7”, the factory ammo i have is 3.667”. The 230 gr a-tip is also 1.76” long.
    Guys on other forums have said it almost boring to shoot with how accurate it is.

I am also interested in the 6mm arc, I was looking at the 224 valk as well. I have an armalite 18” m-15 I may re-barrel or just get a new upper for in which ever caliber seems best. I am also curious about the magazine reliability and wonder if it may just be around that does best in short mags.
    Initial Success or Total Failure

Team GunsNet Gold 07/2012 / Super Moderator Gunreference1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by davepool View Post
    This is the latest AR-15 compatible offering from Hornandy. It's touted as being very accurate with 1000 yd capability ( with 105-108 grn bullets ). There is no load data out yet but the case dimensions are VERY close to the 6BR i shoot out of one of my custom savages which shoots .250" groups at 100 yds with boring regularity.

I've got an armalite M-15 target rifle that shoots .750" groups pretty consistently with federal GMM, not bad for a stock auto-loader. If the 6mmARC can get that under .500" i might build one.

Not real sure about feeding out of a magazine, it's a short fat cartridge that shoots long bullets, i've heard from folks these don't work well in auto-loaders

Hornady has been busy lately the 6.5 creedmore has taken the market by storm (even bad shooters can get sub 1'' groups) if this cartridge can match that reputation a lot of guys are going to buy all new loading dies
    You might be interested in this post. https://www.gunsnet.net/showthread.p...tridge-6mm-ARC

Steve
    After today, it's all historical.

Quote Originally Posted by Gunreference1 View Post
    You might be interested in this post. https://www.gunsnet.net/showthread.p...tridge-6mm-ARC

Steve
    Thanks, i wonder which branch of the military has adopted it, SEALs maybe?

Quote Originally Posted by Hatedbysheeple View Post
    I have had a 300 Prc Bergara HMR Pro for a month now, haven’t had the chance to shoot it but have started loading by bullet jump ladders. It’s magazine fed and the only issue is with 230gr hornady a-tips I have .01” clearance in the mag and I am still left with .06” jump, it’s not horrible and with a more normal profile bullet I can make it to the lands if I wanted. My current coal is 3.762” the saami coal is 3.7”, the factory ammo i have is 3.667”. The 230 gr a-tip is also 1.76” long.
    Guys on other forums have said it almost boring to shoot with how accurate it is.

I am also interested in the 6mm arc, I was looking at the 224 valk as well. I have an armalite 18” m-15 I may re-barrel or just get a new upper for in which ever caliber seems best. I am also curious about the magazine reliability and wonder if it may just be around that does best in short mags.
    I have a friend that rebarreled one of his rifles in 300PRC to shoot in PRS matches, he's doing load development now and seems pretty impressed.

I've taken a break from long range shooting to help my grand daughter train for junior 3-gun competition,shot a custom savage .308 in the FTR class and a custom savage in 6br for benchrest and 600 yd.

All these new calibers have my interest piqued , time to get back into it !
    Last edited by davepool; 06-24-2020 at 08:44 AM.