Thread: What Is A ‘California-Legal’ AR-15?

Team GunsNet Gold 07/2012 / Super Moderator Gunreference1's Avatar

Post What Is A ‘California-Legal’ AR-15?

After today, it's all historical.

Quote Originally Posted by Gunreference1 View Post
    Sad that the future generations of shooters have to deal with this crap. What folks in other states don't realize is that there are TENS OF THOUSANDS of preban AR15s that TENS OF THOUSANDS of California Gun owners have that are legal because they were acquired BEFORE the deadline. I still get guys who think I don't have any guns because California is stupid, forgetting that I've been buying guns since 1980 unlike some places, at least CA (in an unusual break from their usual insanity) allows us to keep what we got, even HIgh cap magazines. There are OTHER states where the poor slobs have to actually 'turn them in' (though I forget which ones).

There are a few things that aren't quite correct in that article.

It is important to note that there have been several rounds of bans in this state going back to roberti roos in 1989, there was an additional ban in 1999. I believe 1989 was a ban by name and 1999 was a ban by features (Tank Monkey would probably know more). Both of those allowed registration of "fully featured" assault weapons. The "bullet button" was exempted from either of those bans until 2018. That ban required registration as well but according to the states interpretation of the law the bullet button must stay.

Currently allowed AR-15's are either "featureless" which can have standard mag release but no pistol grip collapsible stock, flash suppressor etc. or must have a fixed magazine which to me seems kind of useless.

Also, especially before the lastest bullet button ban it seemed like every other gun (or more) at the range was an ar of some type. This could be 10s to 100s of thousands. Not very many were registered and the rest seem to have disappeared in boating accidents.