Thread: I'm now a member of the .45ACP fraternity. Yahoo!

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2013 alismith's Avatar

I'm now a member of the .45ACP fraternity. Yahoo!

The dealer called last night and told me my paperwork had come back and I could pick my pistol up any time. I was at his shop bright and early this morning (7a.m.) and walked out a happy man.

I stopped off at WalMart and bought a 100 pack box of ammo and came back home. Now, all I have to do is familiarize myself with it, then find some time to go out and shoot it. Since I'm not familiar with how a .45 auto works (I'm a revolver guy), I want to make sure I don't have any accidental discharges.

Here's some pics:

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Looks nice. How a .45 Auto works, firmly grasp the weapon, thumb the safety off then squeeze the trigger. This assumes you have already cycled a round into the barrel chamber by pulling back smartly and releasing the slide to seat the round in the chamber. I've carried a .45 ACP Colt off and on for 30+ years in what is called condition 1. That is a round in the chamber and the manual safety engaged. I use a pancake holster with a thumbreak strap that goes between the hammer and the slide. That blocks the hammer from falling on the firing pin should all the safetys fail. Something not likely to happen but ...!

Iron Pumping Bastard aliceinchains's Avatar

I like the felt recoil of a 45. You know your shooting something big. But it is never uncomfortable. Congratulations on your New pistol.

Hope it shoots good for you.That WWB is accurate.
    I am sitting in my angry chair!

Team GunsNet Bronze 07/2012 videodon's Avatar

Very nice!
    Now I must spend some long overdue
    range time with my Nork!
    видеодон

Team GunsNet Silver 04/2014 El Jefe's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by aliceinchains View Post
    I like the felt recoil of a 45. You know your shooting something big. But it is never uncomfortable. Congratulations on your New pistol.

Great point on the recoil, even my 13 year old son enjoys shooting my Colt. It's more of a push than a sharp flip.
    Returns June 3rd.

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2013 alismith's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by aliceinchains View Post

I'm used to recoil. When I do take my handguns out, I almost always take my .44Mag. and .45 LC. The only handgun I've found to be uncomfortable to shoot more than a few times is my Bond Arms .45/.410. Instead of recoil, it seems more like a hammer hitting your hand right between the thumb and finger (the barrels are right in line with your hand instead of above it). About 4 shots is all I can do before it starts to hurt. Needless to say, that one is not a plinker.

I'm getting ready to head over to Gander Mtn. and check out their holsters. I've ordered 3 8-round mags for it and will be picking some more up before long.

I don't need to worry about reloading for it as I already have the dies, cases, powder, and bullets. I few years ago, I had a S&W 625 and used full moon clips for loading. That was one sweet revolver. I wish I still had it.

Iron Pumping Bastard aliceinchains's Avatar

454 Cashull Taurus Raging Bull was the worst ever on my hands. I am surprised the wife could handle it.
    Last edited by aliceinchains; 11-06-2010 at 04:31 PM.
    I am sitting in my angry chair!