Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Gun store report...

Guns Network Contributor 01/2015 Altarboy's Avatar

Gun store report...

I just came back from The Outpost Armory (Ronnie Barrett's old place).
    5.56 is 329.00 per 1k case. 7.62 is 289.00.
    Pistols are pretty thin. All the cheap ones are gone. All cheap ARs and AKs are nearly all gone. If you're in the market for an Fn/FAL or a .50 sniper rifle, they still have a few. There were only about 20 people in there at 0830. As I was leaving, cars were pulling in. People had that look of urgency on their faces.
    I left with 1 case of 5.56 and a box of .303.

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2013 alismith's Avatar

None of the gun stores around here are able to get any guns in from distributors. One of my gun stores in DE is almost, totally, out of pistols (down to about 5 from 50) and their long gun wall doesn't have many guns on it (usually, it's full). They have almost no ammo in stock and can't seem to find any that's reasonably priced.

I don't really need anything, but I stop in to see if they have something I just can't live without. Looking at a 94 Winchester 30-30 they have for $700, but that sounds a little steep to me.... still looking at it, though.
    "Valar morghulis; valar dohaeris."

Commucrats are most efficient at converting sins and crimes to accidents or misunderstandings.-Oswald Bastable

Making good people helpless won't make bad people harmless.

Freedom isn't free.

"Attitude is the paintbrush that colors our world." TV Series, Haven.

My Spirit Animal has rabies.

I'd rather be an American than a Democrat.

"If you can make a man afraid, you can control him" Netflix Series, The Irregulars

Yeah I still love a nice lever gun.

Quote Originally Posted by Altarboy View Post
    Yeah I still love a nice lever gun.
    Have you seen this one?

Belt-Fed Bullpup Lever-Action Rifle Chambered in .44 Magnum
    https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/...-in-44-magnum/
    Tony lives in the United Kingdom. Wait, what? How could anyone living in a country with such a restrictive firearms legislation create a weapon like this? Well, it turns out that this is a perfectly legal firearm in the UK. While belt-fed machine guns and even their semi-auto counterparts are banned in the UK, this ammunition feeding system itself is not. Additionally, this rifle is merely a manual repeater because it is based on a Ruger 96/44 which is a lever-action rifle chambered in .44 Magnum. Here is what Tony says about other legal aspects related to this project:
    Haven't been to my local guy for a while.
    I went past it today and he didn't appear open. I've heard he sells out of stuff quick
    For peace of mind, resign as general manager of the universe

That guy is a genius....

Commucrats are most efficient at converting sins and crimes to accidents or misunderstandings.-Oswald Bastable

Freedom isn't free.

"If you can make a man afraid, you can control him" Netflix Series, The Irregulars

Quote Originally Posted by Full Otto View Post
    Have you seen this one?

Belt-Fed Bullpup Lever-Action Rifle Chambered in .44 Magnum
    https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/...-in-44-magnum/
    Tony lives in the United Kingdom. Wait, what? How could anyone living in a country with such a restrictive firearms legislation create a weapon like this? Well, it turns out that this is a perfectly legal firearm in the UK. While belt-fed machine guns and even their semi-auto counterparts are banned in the UK, this ammunition feeding system itself is not. Additionally, this rifle is merely a manual repeater because it is based on a Ruger 96/44 which is a lever-action rifle chambered in .44 Magnum. Here is what Tony says about other legal aspects related to this project:
    Haven't been to my local guy for a while.
    I went past it today and he didn't appear open. I've heard he sells out of stuff quick
    Sadly the ammo feeding device is ILLEGAL in California. We have too many clever California lawyers who assist the anti gunners figure out ways to write laws vague enough that they ban EVERYTHING. And if someone devises a work around, the California DEMOCRATS rush to ban that specifically as well.

Team GunsNet Bronze 07/2011 weevil's Avatar

9mm has disappeared...which sucks cuz all my carry guns are 9s and I blow through a lot of 9mm at the range.

Haven't had to do it in years but gonna have to pull out the 9mm reloading supplies or pull out my 45s, got lots of 45 and 10mm reloads.
    Where are we going and why are we in this handbasket???

Quote Originally Posted by weevil View Post
    9mm has disappeared...which sucks cuz all my carry guns are 9s and I blow through a lot of 9mm at the range.

Haven't had to do it in years but gonna have to pull out the 9mm reloading supplies or pull out my 45s, got lots of 45 and 10mm reloads.
    The Outpost has a pallet of 9mm Wolf.
    Can't remember the price.

The Outpost has a pallet of 9mm Wolf.
    Can't remember the price.
    Which Outpost?

I googled "The Outpost ammo" and none of the sites it brought up had any 9mm listed.

Took the XDs 45 and the LCP to the range. The XDs is a nice gun but no fun to shoot, it'll do if need be though.
    Last edited by weevil; 07-18-2020 at 06:42 PM.

The Outpost at exit 89 on I-24, 30 odd miles southeast of Nashville.

The factory you see from the interstate a quarter mile south of the Outpost is the Barrett rifle factory.

The Outpost at exit 89 on I-24, 30 odd miles southeast of Nashville.

The factory you see from the interstate a quarter mile south of the Outpost is the Barrett rifle factory.
    Okay...yeah that's a little far for me to drive, I was hoping it might be an online site.

I get e-mails from various sites but every time I go to order some it's already sold out.

Luckily I've got other calibers to choose from and I've still got several hundred rounds of 9mm on hand.....I just hate to use it up with no way to resupply. What's worse is I ordered one of those new Taurus G3c's to try out and I'd like to run at least a couple hundred rounds through it. It maybe be on hold for awhile till the ammo shortage breaks.

Digging out those 9mm dies and boning up on taper crimping is sounding better all the time. I've got plenty of components just not a caliber I reload much.

Yeah I have a Lee single stage press. It gets the job done, but doing a bunch of pistol ammo is a pain, honestly.

Team GunsNet Platinum 02/2015 davepool's Avatar

Yeah I have a Lee single stage press. It gets the job done, but doing a bunch of pistol ammo is a pain, honestly.
    I've had my bench set up to load benchrest ammo for a couple years. I had to take the dillon 650 down to make room for the hand presses.

I wanted to load 300 rounds of 10mm, but was too lazy to set up the dillon, and i thought, with all this benchrest loading i've been doing, i can whip out 300 rnds pretty quick.

So i start the process: (using new starline brass) Check case length x 300; prime x 300; flare mouth x 300, charge x 300; seat and crimp x 300.

If i ever need to load 10mm again, i'm setting up the dillon

Quote Originally Posted by davepool View Post
    I've had my bench set up to load benchrest ammo for a couple years. I had to take the dillon 650 down to make room for the hand presses.

I wanted to load 300 rounds of 10mm, but was too lazy to set up the dillon, and i thought, with all this benchrest loading i've been doing, i can whip out 300 rnds pretty quick.

So i start the process: (using new starline brass) Check case length x 300; prime x 300; flare mouth x 300, charge x 300; seat and crimp x 300.

If i ever need to load 10mm again, i'm setting up the dillon
    Have you had any trouble getting primers? I've scored places to get the bullets (FMJ) brass and propellant. I can't find primers anywhere.

With muzzle loading, you load the round one at a time right in the gun....can't hurry through any of that.

And, another plus is you can shoot all day long and go through about 50 shots or so before you get tired and head back home.... You're not gonna blow through a lot of ammo.

It's just a fun way to spend the day shooting and taking your time about it all.

(However, no fun having to clean your guns when you get back home....but, that's just part of it all.)

Freedom isn't free.

Team GunsNet Platinum 02/2015 davepool's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tank_monkey View Post
    Have you had any trouble getting primers? I've scored places to get the bullets (FMJ) brass and propellant. I can't find primers anywhere.
    I haven't looked, still have close to 5k of each type, i stocked up big on components after the shortage in 2011-12 (i think) and add to the pile when stuff is on sale, as i remember primers were the missing component back then, it's what got me into muzzle loading big time

and just in case 22lr disappears again, got that covered also
    Last edited by davepool; 07-19-2020 at 07:19 PM.

Sort of unrelated, but have you guys ever seen the kits you can buy that allow you to reload .22 rinfire?

Quote Originally Posted by davepool View Post
    I haven't looked, still have close to 5k of each type, i stocked up big on components after the shortage in 2011-12 (i think) and add to the pile when stuff is on sale, as i remember primers were the missing component back then, it's what got me into muzzle loading big time

and just in case 22lr disappears again, got that covered also
    You were SMART!!!!! I never could have anticipated the 1 -2 punch of COVID (and Democrat politicians releasing thousands of Criminals out of prisons) and the LEFT WING RIOTS and them defunding police departments, plus violent mobs of left wing idiots.

I just drove by my Local Gun Store today. There is STILL a line stretching around the block. My other LGS guy told me that the wait to get into his store (his is a BIG ONE) is about 5 - 6 hours Since California has literally banned most kitchen FFLs (we can't mail order anything), we can't mail order ammo (but we can get components), and most firearms are on some sort of 'ban list' anyways, everyone is scrambling to get what they can legally buy in CA. One of the biggest Gun Stores in the SF Bay Area (this is a big one where all the State government agencies shop and all the cops in that area do their shopping), sold 10K handguns so far, since the rush this year.

Now I"m curious, why are guys in NON fucked up states buying up everything as well? Why wait for hours if you're already set for guns and ammo? It's weird. I'm set for ammo and weapons myself, but I'm still on the look out for interesting vintage stuff to pick up but I can't even do that.

Quote Originally Posted by tank_monkey View Post
    You were SMART!!!!! I never could have anticipated the 1 -2 punch of COVID (and Democrat politicians releasing thousands of Criminals out of prisons) and the LEFT WING RIOTS and them defunding police departments, plus violent mobs of left wing idiots.

I just drove by my Local Gun Store today. There is STILL a line stretching around the block. My other LGS guy told me that the wait to get into his store (his is a BIG ONE) is about 5 - 6 hours Since California has literally banned most kitchen FFLs (we can't mail order anything), we can't mail order ammo (but we can get components), and most firearms are on some sort of 'ban list' anyways, everyone is scrambling to get what they can legally buy in CA. One of the biggest Gun Stores in the SF Bay Area (this is a big one where all the State government agencies shop and all the cops in that area do their shopping), sold 10K handguns so far, since the rush this year.

Now I"m curious, why are guys in NON fucked up states buying up everything as well? Why wait for hours if you're already set for guns and ammo? It's weird. I'm set for ammo and weapons myself, but I'm still on the look out for interesting vintage stuff to pick up but I can't even do that.
    It ain't over yet ! The ChiComs have found another "swine flu" related to the 2009 H1N1 flu that could become the next pandemic. And guess where it was "discovered".
    This is like the old Tennessee Ernie Ford song, "Sixteen Tons" and the line in it about the hands - "One fist of iron, the other of steel. If the right don't get you, the left one will!"
    The ChiComs (and others) failed to destroy our economy with the corona virus so they have another "pandemic" waiting in the wings for that "1 - 2 punch".
    “I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted. The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

It is different this time. I am set for ammo, or thought I was. Now I want even more.
    Somehow, I just don't think it's coming back around to sane prices and supplies. I think what we have now will be about it as far as good stocking.
    Time will tell.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast