Thread: Almost hit a kid on a bicycle today!

Almost hit a kid on a bicycle today!

OMG... today driving home from the pharmacy, a local cop car was behind me, so I was driving a mile or two under the speed limit (30 mph) just in case. All of a sudden a boy about 14 or 16 shoots out of his driveway on a bicycle, right in front of me. I stopped so hard that the ABS kicked in and the brakes made that growling sound that ABS makes, and I skidded a tiny bit sideways. I thought the cop was going to rear-end my car, but he stopped in time. I saw his car nose down from the hard braking and he stopped less than 1/2 car length behind me.

Then the cop backs up about 15 feet, pulls around me and "whoop-whoop"ed his siren, pulled the kid on the bike over and gave him a good yelling-at (don't know if he got a ticket as well).

Thank God the cop was behind me, causing me to go a bit slower. Otherwise, I might have hit the kid on the bike.

It's a weird feeling to try to drive with the shit scared out of you. My legs felt like rubber.

I haven't had any tickets since 1983 and I speed all the time. Maybe it would be a good idea to stop driving so fast...
    Gentlemen may prefer Blondes, but Real Men prefer Redheads!

Guns Network Lifetime Member #2

See cops aren't all bad Roger

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2013 alismith's Avatar

Hope the kid was white, otherwise, the cop will be under investigation for hurting the kid's feelings.
    "Valar morghulis; valar dohaeris."

Commucrats are most efficient at converting sins and crimes to accidents or misunderstandings.-Oswald Bastable

Making good people helpless won't make bad people harmless.

Freedom isn't free.

"Attitude is the paintbrush that colors our world." TV Series, Haven.

My Spirit Animal has rabies.

I'd rather be an American than a Democrat.

"If you can make a man afraid, you can control him" Netflix Series, The Irregulars

Team GunsNet Platinum 02/2015 davepool's Avatar

That happened to one of my uncles in 1965 only he couldn't stop and the 11 yr old kid died. It screwed him up, he never forgave himself. 20 years after he would break down anytime the news reported a kid getting hurt, and my cousins never had bikes.

you lucked out partner.

Guns Network Contributor 01/2015 Altarboy's Avatar

I've witnessed what can happen to a child when hit by a car. I was 18, and it still haunts me.

Indiana, a state that is trying to remain free.
    Every now and then the cops are around when you need them. In this case like you said, that two mile per hour slower probably save a lot of grief. And the cop did the right thing by teaching the kid to look first.

When I was a kid I witnessed another kid get hit by a car. Didn't know that a human body could fly that far. Still haunts me to this day.

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2013 alismith's Avatar

It's not just kids you have to watch our for.

Around here, we have bike races about twice a year. They open up quite a few back roads and a few main roads. The police are at most major intersections to direct traffic, however, many of these adults riders are total idiots. They think nothing of whipping out in front of traffic without warning (even when there are super wide, paved shoulders on most roads).

I've had a few times where I've had to slam on the brakes to avoid colliding with them. If they do check their mirrors, then they just don't care. They expect you to stop.

It's a wonder there aren't, at least, two or three, car/bike accidents every year.

I hate it when those races occur.
    "Valar morghulis; valar dohaeris."

Commucrats are most efficient at converting sins and crimes to accidents or misunderstandings.-Oswald Bastable

Making good people helpless won't make bad people harmless.

Freedom isn't free.

"Attitude is the paintbrush that colors our world." TV Series, Haven.

My Spirit Animal has rabies.

I'd rather be an American than a Democrat.

"If you can make a man afraid, you can control him" Netflix Series, The Irregulars

Team GunsNet Bronze 10/2014

i'm glad it ended well. i had a similar expreience. i hit a kid doing the same thing. i was on a motorcycle. ended up on my back, no shirt, girlfriend on top of me. then to make things more exciting the kid's father wanted to whip up on me. it got hairy. people around got it stopped. note to all would be ass kickers, don't hit a biker wearing a helmet.

Quote Originally Posted by 1 Patriot-of-many View Post
    See cops aren't all bad Roger
    I don't get it.....?

Quote Originally Posted by davepool View Post
    That happened to one of my uncles in 1965 only he couldn't stop and the 11 yr old kid died. It screwed him up, he never forgave himself. 20 years after he would break down anytime the news reported a kid getting hurt, and my cousins never had bikes.

you lucked out partner.

I'm terrified of hitting a kid while driving. When I see a young kid on a bike, I slow to a crawl while I pass.

Many years ago a kid that my kids played with was on his bike. I knew that he always darted out into the street on his bike without looking, so one day when I was driving home, passing their house, I saw him on his bike on the sidewalk and I came to a complete stop and watched him. Sure as shit he darted out onto the street, right in front of me. His mother was outside and started yelling at him to watch where he was going, he did one of those "loop around" turns on the street and came within inches of hitting ME in the car. I yelled at him "dammit Willie you don't want to make it to your 18'th birthday, do you?". He just yelled "sorry" and drove back onto the sidewalk.

All this time I was at a complete stop. If I were driving... even 10 UNDER the limit (30 mph) I would have run him over.

Quote Originally Posted by imanaknut View Post
    Every now and then the cops are around when you need them. In this case like you said, that two mile per hour slower probably save a lot of grief. And the cop did the right thing by teaching the kid to look first.

When I was a kid I witnessed another kid get hit by a car. Didn't know that a human body could fly that far. Still haunts me to this day.
    It was just a coincidence. I didn't "need" the cop. He just happened to be behind me.