Thread: Automotive Electrical Question

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Automotive Electrical Question

I have what I think is a parasitic current draw on my boat that is slowly draining the battery.

I don't really have any experience troubleshooting electrical issues. I read that I should pull the negative cable off of the battery and measure the current between the cable and the negative terminal. I am measuring about 1.5 mA.

It doesn't seem to me that this would be a very significant current draw. If I am doing my math right that is about 1 Amp-Hour per month.

Right now I have it on a float charger.

Is there something else I should take a look at?

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2013 alismith's Avatar

Not sure how to find the source of the current draw, but if you can't find it, I'd suggest putting a heavy-duty, inline cutoff switch in one of the cables coming off the battery. Turn it on when using using it, and turn it off when storing the boat.
    "Valar morghulis; valar dohaeris."

Commucrats are most efficient at converting sins and crimes to accidents or misunderstandings.-Oswald Bastable

Making good people helpless won't make bad people harmless.

Freedom isn't free.

"Attitude is the paintbrush that colors our world." TV Series, Haven.

My Spirit Animal has rabies.

I'd rather be an American than a Democrat.

"If you can make a man afraid, you can control him" Netflix Series, The Irregulars

Does your boat have a clock?

Quote Originally Posted by whiskeyman View Post
    Does your boat have a clock?
    Nope.

Team GunsNet Platinum 02/2015 davepool's Avatar

I had the same problem with my boat. Not a heavy power drain but if i let it sit for 4-6 weeks the batteries would drop to 11 volts. Had my son in law check it out and he couldn't find any thing, i broke down and took it to the Mercury dealer who ran a full check on the electrical system and said everything was fine but the clock and the on board battery charger were drawing off the battery all the time and that might be the issue. I had them install a power cut-off switch in the battery compartment.

As i was paying the $275 bill, i realized all i needed to do was disconnect the battery cables, but now i have this cool looking switch

You might have something electrical that is grounding out to the water. Or is this drain on your battery still occurring when it is out of the water?
    “I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted. The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”