Thread: My Czech VZ-24

My Czech VZ-24

My VZ-24. It looks great, with no wear. As a matter of fact, it looks unissued & unfired. I've only had it out once, so far, using some Turk ammo that went "click-bang". It was still great to shoot.
    I have an unopened case of 8mm that I want to try, the next time I take it out.

looks nice! i need to get mine out and blow the dust out of it.
    I'm the one that's gonna die when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life the way I want to.
    Jimi Hendrix

NRA Benefactor Member & 03 FFL

i found a pic of mine that i took right after i got it. looks a lot like yours.

I'm the one that's gonna die when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life the way I want to.
    Jimi Hendrix

NRA Benefactor Member & 03 FFL

Iron Pumping Bastard aliceinchains's Avatar

number6,

You said click bang! You mean like a hang fire. Improper ignition.

Quote Originally Posted by aliceinchains View Post
    number6,

You said click bang! You mean like a hang fire. Improper ignition.
    Yes, it was some Turk ammo, on clips (I believe) that came in a green cloth bandoleer. Maybe 200 rds. Can't remember exactly where I bought it (SOG, AIM, etc), but it was a cheap price and everybody was buying it. The time between pulling the trigger and the bang was almost imperceptable, but it was still there. clibang.

Yes i remember buying from Century awhile back. 2 different head stamp dates. What head stamp date is going click bang? I had good results with the 1942.
    I am sitting in my angry chair!

I would like to thank you for your pics of your beautiful rifles. Now i want to check on the rifling.
    There were 2 different versions. Most model 24Czech barrels had narrow land rifling.
    Although some had extra broad lands about 1-1/2 times as wide as the grooves.

Broad landsmade more durable rifling and a longer accuracy life.But also gave greater resistance. So more kick LOL!
    Last edited by aliceinchains; 07-29-2010 at 07:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by aliceinchains View Post
    Yes i remember buying from Century awhile back. 2 different head stamp dates. What head stamp date is going click bang? I had good results with the 1942.
    I am pretty sure this is the one w/the hangfire. But I'll add the other one, that I don't recall the pedigree.

This is the other one.

Here they are side-by-side. The Turk has a brass case & what looks to be a nickel bullet. The other is a steel case.

I'll check the rifling the next time I dig it out, but I have nothing to compare narrow & wide.
    Last edited by number6; 08-02-2010 at 01:00 AM.

Team GunsNet Silver 03/2014

Interesting about the lands and grooves. Will have to check mine, as it has a good kick to it.

Yep the head stamp date 1941 Turk round be the culprit. Busy head stamp BTW. They fit a lot of stuff on there.Take note there is no room for one more letter or number.

Team GunsNet Gold 05/2011

A new Wolfe spring in the 22# range fixed my hang-fire problem. VZ-24 is the best looking and handling Mauser of them all.

Wish mine was 7mm. This 8mm is a shoulder hammerer and doesn't correspondingly devastate targets/game proportionate to the increased recoil and jump.

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Turk ammo is what it is, poor quality but cheap. It's also some very high pressure ammo. Most of it pushes that 155 gr. bullet 3100 fps + . The steel cased Romanian you show is good reliable ammo in my experience. Good accuracy and sure fire but not insane pressures like the Turk.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluntforce View Post
    VZ-24 is the best looking and handling Mauser of them all.
    I agree about the handling, but none of mine come close to looking like the ones posted here. You guys lucked-out.

As far as hangfires, the only 8 X 57 I've ever had that problem with was some of WWII date manufactured in Nazi occupied countries. There have been a few FTF's due to hard Yugo primers but they all went bang OK on the second strike. I also went to Wolff springs, which eliminated that problem entirely from then on. The trigger pull is heavier but that's the trade-off.

The only problem I've seen with Turk ammo is with loose bullets due to split case necks before firing. That was only in one batch (700 rds) of 1947. Never had another occurance in any date since, and I've gone through 5K+. The Turk stuff's loaded hot, but you can reach out and touch with good effect. One of my D.I.L's loves the Turk ammo / VZ24 combo.

Quote Originally Posted by number6 View Post
    My VZ-24. It looks great, with no wear. As a matter of fact, it looks unissued & unfired. I've only had it out once, so far, using some Turk ammo that went "click-bang". It was still great to shoot.
    I have an unopened case of 8mm that I want to try, the next time I take it out.

Where did u get it?

Where did u get it?
    It was a few years back, but most likely, AIM.

I've debated buying one of the Russian capture VZ-24s from AIM. Has anyone picked up one recently from AIM, and if so, what do you think of it?

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Nope sorry, not purchased any VZ24's from them in years. In the past they all had bright bores. I would also comment that the VZ's have very deep looking rifling, about 2X what you expect to see normally.