Thread: American Redoubt

American Redoubt

James Wesley Rawles talked about it awhile back. I've read his books and check out his survival blog every now and then. The books are decent, but a bit over the top. His redoubt idea is looking like less and less of a bad idea if things continue on their current trajectory. Eastern Oregon, western Idaho would be my choice.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Redoubt
    When some wild-eyed, eight-foot-tall maniac grabs your neck, taps the back of your favorite head up against the barroom wall, and he looks you crooked in the eye and he asks you if ya paid your dues, you just stare that big sucker right back in the eye, and you remember what ol' Jack Burton always says at a time like that: "Have ya paid your dues, Jack?" "Yessir, the check is in the mail." ----- Jack Burton 1986

Guns Network Contributor 01/2015 Altarboy's Avatar

Yeah I like his stuff. I remember reading Patriots many years ago and thinking "wow, nobody could get that prepared. "
    Now, all these years later, we are probably 2/3 of the way there including the land, fruit and nut trees, security, etc...

All my family lives in Tennessee, including my aging parents as well as her parents, so moving out of state is a bit hard for me. We do live in the country, though.

One thing to remember - any site on the east side of the Rockies is very likely to have limited water. The "prevailing westerlies" that come up and over the Rockies have lost much of their moisture on the western slopes. That's why the Pacific Northwest is as wet as it is.
    Also, coming down off of the slopes is the "wind". A friend of mine has family that lives in Wyoming. I questioned him about the area a few years ago and he commented on how the wind can and dust can be a real "pain".
    Then there are the prairie dogs, a perenial source of bubonic plague - aka the "black death" of Medieval times. Small game is scarce, most game you have to go a fair distance to even get close, then you have to pack it out. If you don't have a horse or mule, forget it.
    FYI
    “I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted. The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

Guns Network Contributor 01/2015 Altarboy's Avatar

That sounds about right, but man I loves me some Rockies. We go hang out in sw Colorado every couple years.

Was talking with someone who owns homes in several illnoise cities and is selling those in riot prone areas and finding it very hard going with prices dropping as devaluation and market saturation takes place, while prices for homes in rural areas are seeing a increase as people flee cities.
    "And how we burned in the camps later thinking, what would things have been like, if every security operative, when he went out at night to make an arrest, had been uncertain, whether he would return alive and had to say good-bye to his family?"