Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 24

Thread: Gun store report...updated

  1. #1
    Guns Network Contributor 01/2015 Altarboy's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    4,505

    Gun store report...updated

    I stopped by The Outpost a couple hours ago. Ammo pretty thin except for 7.62. I bought a 500rd xase for 159.00. There was no 5.56 except some really expensive stuff.
    I also bought a 20rd box of .303. It was 25.99.
    As for guns, geez, only the expensive remain. Got 2,500.00 or more? You're in luck. Even cheap pistols were nearly all gone. No Glocks. None
    A few Fudd guns, but not very many.
    This is a very strong guns store that is great at keeping inventory even during lean times.

  2. #2
    Team Guns Network Silver 04/2013 alismith's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    44th "Free" State
    Posts
    12,654
    Most gun stores around here, don't have much, if any, inventory left on the shelves, except for a few hunting rifles. No new guns, of any kind, are coming in. No new ammo, either.
    "Valar morghulis; valar dohaeris."

    "Never say, "gun control" but instead say, "victim disarmament." - L Neil Smith

    Making good people helpless won't make bad people harmless.

    Freedom isn't free.

    "Attitude is the paintbrush that colors our world." TV Series, Haven.

    My Spirit Animal has rabies.

    I'd rather be an American than a Democrat.

  3. #3
    Guns Network Contributor 01/2015 Altarboy's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    4,505
    Honestly, it's crazy to see this place this empty. This is Ronnie Barrett's old store. His buddy bought it. It's a few hundred feet from his rifle factory there by exit 89 on I-24.
    They get pallets of ammo (the Barrett factory gets 10 or 12 pallets at a time) .I've delivered there before. If they have trouble getting ammo and guns, it's bad.

  4. #4
    Senior Member NAPOTS's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Posts
    3,452
    I just got an e-mail from cheaper than dirt, they have 9mm in stock, winchester 115 gr FMJ for the ultra low price of 59.89 for a box of 50

  5. #5
    Administrator Krupski's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    ┌П┐(◣_◢)┌П┐
    Posts
    15,318
    Quote Originally Posted by NAPOTS View Post
    I just got an e-mail from cheaper than dirt, they have 9mm in stock, winchester 115 gr FMJ for the ultra low price of 59.89 for a box of 50
    Wow. Remember when .50 BMG was a dollar per round and regular stuff (9, 45, 5.56, 7.62 etc..) was something like $0.20 per round?

    If I knew what was going to happen to the prices, I would have bought cases and cases of each caliber I use.

    Today, I barely have enough to make one trip to the range (I consider the last case of each caliber "untouchable" and only use what I have above and beyond that minimum).

    I could easily piss away $1000.00 worth of ammo on a good Saturday at the range. It's hard to justify that to my wife, and "buy now, apologize later" doesn't work very well anymore...
    Gentlemen may prefer Blondes, but Real Men prefer Redheads!

  6. #6
    Team Guns Network Silver 04/2013 alismith's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    44th "Free" State
    Posts
    12,654
    Quote Originally Posted by Krupski View Post
    Wow. Remember when .50 BMG was a dollar per round and regular stuff (9, 45, 5.56, 7.62 etc..) was something like $0.20 per round?

    If I knew what was going to happen to the prices, I would have bought cases and cases of each caliber I use.

    Today, I barely have enough to make one trip to the range (I consider the last case of each caliber "untouchable" and only use what I have above and beyond that minimum).

    I could easily piss away $1000.00 worth of ammo on a good Saturday at the range. It's hard to justify that to my wife, and "buy now, apologize later" doesn't work very well anymore...
    That's why muzzleloaders are great to shoot during times of ammo shortages. If I spent all day shooting a muzzleloader, there's no way I'd ever be able to come close to shooting $1,000 of ammo. I'd be lucky to hit, maybe, $25 in lead, powder, and caps. It takes about 3 -5 minutes to reload each shot, then after about 8-10 shots, the barrel has to be swabbed and dried, then you can start to shoot again.

    All in all, a great afternoon would be shooting maybe 35 to 50 shots, then cleaning up and heading home to thoroughly clean and dry the firearm, then lightly oil it, then wipe it dry again, and then put it up until next time.

    Much of the day shooting BP is spent cleaning the firearm and making sure it's able to function. Shooting, itself, doesn't account for much time.
    "Valar morghulis; valar dohaeris."

    "Never say, "gun control" but instead say, "victim disarmament." - L Neil Smith

    Making good people helpless won't make bad people harmless.

    Freedom isn't free.

    "Attitude is the paintbrush that colors our world." TV Series, Haven.

    My Spirit Animal has rabies.

    I'd rather be an American than a Democrat.

  7. #7
    Team Guns Network Silver 04/2013 alismith's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    44th "Free" State
    Posts
    12,654
    Just got back from another Wallyworld in another town. Purchaed all their boxes of .30-30 (5 boxes). Have 3 more fairly local ones to go to next week and see what they have left.

    Even though WallyWorld is selling only hunting ammo, once that is gone, the shelves are remaining empty.

    Gonna get what I can get (and use) while I still can......

    Don't know when it's coming back...
    Last edited by alismith; 08-29-2020 at 11:59 AM.
    "Valar morghulis; valar dohaeris."

    "Never say, "gun control" but instead say, "victim disarmament." - L Neil Smith

    Making good people helpless won't make bad people harmless.

    Freedom isn't free.

    "Attitude is the paintbrush that colors our world." TV Series, Haven.

    My Spirit Animal has rabies.

    I'd rather be an American than a Democrat.

  8. #8
    Senior Member tank_monkey's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Kalifornia
    Posts
    6,364
    Any news on AMMO at anyone's LGS? Right now stores are limiting people to TWO boxes. The only calibers are those oddball MILSURP rounds or stuff like 7mm Remington. The only Shotgun ammo is birdshot.

  9. #9
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    harms way
    Posts
    15,044
    Trillions of rounds are disappearing into private American hands.
    “The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first.”
    -Thomas Jefferson

  10. #10
    Senior Member tank_monkey's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Kalifornia
    Posts
    6,364
    Quote Originally Posted by 5.56NATO View Post
    Trillions of rounds are disappearing into private American hands.
    One reason is that our manufacturers can't get the METALs. One reason, back when OBAMA was president....

    LEAD:
    https://www.forbes.com/sites/timwors.../#704f709a642b

    the-last-lead-smelter-in-the-us-closes-because-the-hippies-won (2013)
    Yep, the Tree huggers destroyed our domestic Lead mining and smelting industries. So now all our LEAD comes from, YOU GUESSED IT .... CHINA....

    BRASS:
    The USA still has some Brass production, but the other largest producers of BRASS metals are Italy, South Korea, Germany, China, Mexico, Brazil, India, France, South Africa, and Taiwan. I heard that most of the brass used for casings in US Gun companies come from Brazil and they're having some sort of worker's strike now, so our imports are suffering. Now Brass is an alloy made of copper and zinc, but the factories that create it are mostly in other countries.

    COPPER:
    Copper jackets ... not the biggest component of ammunition, but it's still a valuable resource. Good news, the USA is solid when it comes to domestic COPPER production. The largest copper mine is found in Utah (Bingham Canyon). Other major mines are found in Arizona, Michigan, New Mexico and Montana. In South America, Chile, the world's largest producer, and Peru are both major producers of copper. But the USA will not have a shortage of Copper any time soon.

    That and all we need is a spike of a minimum of 10 percent to strip the shelves bare (the spike is WAY MORE than 10 percent increase than usual sales numbers).

    I'm told that it will take 12-18 months for the supplies to return to normal.

  11. #11
    Team Guns Network Silver 04/2013 alismith's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    44th "Free" State
    Posts
    12,654
    Just stopped by a few muzzle loader dealer sites and about 95% of their inventory is temporarily out of stock. I don't think I've ever seen times where BP firearms are almost all sold out.

    Even Dixie has a few that are out of stock.

    It's hard to believe that manufacturers aren't stepping up production to fill the void that has been created.

    Definitely crazy times.
    "Valar morghulis; valar dohaeris."

    "Never say, "gun control" but instead say, "victim disarmament." - L Neil Smith

    Making good people helpless won't make bad people harmless.

    Freedom isn't free.

    "Attitude is the paintbrush that colors our world." TV Series, Haven.

    My Spirit Animal has rabies.

    I'd rather be an American than a Democrat.

  12. #12
    Guns Network Contributor 01/2015 Altarboy's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    4,505
    I love Dixie Gun Works. Nice place and people.
    You ever check out Track of the Wolf? I built their Northwest Trade Gun years ago. Its pretty sweet.

  13. #13
    Senior Member raxar's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    PA, where the cold is only matched by the isolation
    Posts
    3,713
    Quote Originally Posted by alismith View Post
    Just stopped by a few muzzle loader dealer sites and about 95% of their inventory is temporarily out of stock. I don't think I've ever seen times where BP firearms are almost all sold out.

    Even Dixie has a few that are out of stock.

    It's hard to believe that manufacturers aren't stepping up production to fill the void that has been created.

    Definitely crazy times.

    They're stated they aren't going to have a repeat of 2016 where they ramped up production only to have Trump win and demand go to near zero.

    Locally there is still quire a few guns around, although Rural King has a hard time keeping AR's in stock.
    "I didn't even expect him to come up here, thinking it was that sweet. Thinking it's that candy land like that," White said. "He wanted to pickpocket everybody. But people out here, they weren't going for none of that."

    Quote Originally Posted by Spambot
    We careered round and round for perhaps an hour, flying rather than floating, getting gradually more and more into the middle of the surge, and then nearer and nearer to its horrible inner edge.
    Quote Originally Posted by ROCK ME AMADEUS
    Then Use the motherfucking PURPLE ....

  14. #14
    Team Guns Network Silver 04/2013 alismith's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    44th "Free" State
    Posts
    12,654
    I think they're looking at this wrong. If Trump wins, the Commucrats are going to go full terrorist on America, with the help of Antifa, BLM, and others. People are going to need more guns and ammo, not the other way around.

    If Idiot Joe wins, then they won't be able to stay in business anyway. He'll shut everything down.

    The least they could do is try to resume regular production so gun stores can restock and everyone can make money.

    Sitting back and waiting for more favorable times, isn't the best plan to follow.
    "Valar morghulis; valar dohaeris."

    "Never say, "gun control" but instead say, "victim disarmament." - L Neil Smith

    Making good people helpless won't make bad people harmless.

    Freedom isn't free.

    "Attitude is the paintbrush that colors our world." TV Series, Haven.

    My Spirit Animal has rabies.

    I'd rather be an American than a Democrat.

  15. #15
    Team Guns Network Silver 04/2013 alismith's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    44th "Free" State
    Posts
    12,654
    Quote Originally Posted by Altarboy View Post
    I love Dixie Gun Works. Nice place and people.
    You ever check out Track of the Wolf? I built their Northwest Trade Gun years ago. Its pretty sweet.
    I haven't ordered any guns from them yet, but I have ordered various acessories I needed from them. Very good company to deal with.
    "Valar morghulis; valar dohaeris."

    "Never say, "gun control" but instead say, "victim disarmament." - L Neil Smith

    Making good people helpless won't make bad people harmless.

    Freedom isn't free.

    "Attitude is the paintbrush that colors our world." TV Series, Haven.

    My Spirit Animal has rabies.

    I'd rather be an American than a Democrat.

  16. #16
    Senior Member JTHunter's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    3,699
    Quote Originally Posted by alismith View Post
    I think they're looking at this wrong. If Trump wins, the Commucrats are going to go full terrorist on America, with the help of Antifa, BLM, and others. People are going to need more guns and ammo, not the other way around.

    If Idiot Joe wins, then they won't be able to stay in business anyway. He'll shut everything down.

    The least they could do is try to resume regular production so gun stores can restock and everyone can make money.

    Sitting back and waiting for more favorable times, isn't the best plan to follow.
    Gawd, I hope you're wrong !! The problem is, I feel the same way !!
    “I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted. The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

  17. #17
    Senior Member tank_monkey's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Kalifornia
    Posts
    6,364
    Well I scored some calibers! LOL. Not my most used calibers, but heck, I got guns chambered in these calibers so what the heck.

    Found a source with 100 rd bags of 32-20 WCF, also picked up 44-40 for the Winchester lever action, 45-70 for the trapdoor springfields, and finally, about 400 rounds of .45 long colt for the Single Action Army revolvers.


  18. #18
    Team Guns Network Silver 04/2013 alismith's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    44th "Free" State
    Posts
    12,654
    Quote Originally Posted by tank_monkey View Post
    Well I scored some calibers! LOL. Not my most used calibers, but heck, I got guns chambered in these calibers so what the heck.

    Found a source with 100 rd bags of 32-20 WCF, also picked up 44-40 for the Winchester lever action, 45-70 for the trapdoor springfields, and finally, about 400 rounds of .45 long colt for the Single Action Army revolvers.

    That's kind of what I'm doing right now, buying ammo for guns I have but don't shoot that much. I'm concentrating on .30-30. Since WalMart stopped selling "dangerous" ammo, they do have a fair supply of hunting ammo. I'm stocking up on that caliber whenever I can find it.
    "Valar morghulis; valar dohaeris."

    "Never say, "gun control" but instead say, "victim disarmament." - L Neil Smith

    Making good people helpless won't make bad people harmless.

    Freedom isn't free.

    "Attitude is the paintbrush that colors our world." TV Series, Haven.

    My Spirit Animal has rabies.

    I'd rather be an American than a Democrat.

  19. #19
    Senior Member NAPOTS's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Posts
    3,452
    Well I finally found the pistol I have been looking for about an hours drive away, which isn't too bad because I live an hour from everything.

    The price was fair, about MSRP so maybe a little high for normal times but definitely not gouging.

  20. #20
    Senior Member JTHunter's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    3,699
    Quote Originally Posted by NAPOTS View Post
    Well I finally found the pistol I have been looking for about an hours drive away, which isn't too bad because I live an hour from everything.

    The price was fair, about MSRP so maybe a little high for normal times but definitely not gouging.
    What pistol would that be?
    “I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted. The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •