Thread: Any of you guys helping out NOOB gun owners with advice and training? :)

Any of you guys helping out NOOB gun owners with advice and training? :)

With another 3-5 MILLION brand new gun owners, I've been trying to help folks out. But there's no ammo for training, so I'm doing dry training, aka teaching them proper usage, handling, safety. I have snap cap 'ammo' to train with loading, clearing jams, muzzle safety, trigger discipline, etc. I also give them a primer on legal usage and what to do if the worst happens (aka the mobs come for them).

Some of the advice included stuff like :

1) Video yourself if possible and keep that camera rolling. That evidence will really help you.

2) Stay calm and don't do anything stupid

3) Stressing safety and how to avoid little kids getting their hands on the weapons or any untrained family members I've learned that THE MOST dangerous people around guns are libs or uninformed 'neutrals' who know NOTHING about guns and have no respect for them. LOL

What's funny is that the only ammo now available is stuff like #7 birdshot. I train folks that ANYTHING is lethal at pointblank range. Even from a distance, firing birdshot at an attacking mob will drive them back (that stuff hurts!) If all you have is lower powered stuff, it's still better than nothing. (but only use lethal force if you feel your life is threatened. I always advise against 'warning shots' unless a potential assailant is actively encroaching upon you on your own property)

Oh yes, and STOP VOTING for Dems (or any antigun RINOS) who will take away your rights. But I'm in Blue California, where the MEDIA controls the left leaning population.

Any other hints or ideas? I actually really like training the uninitiated. I feel like I'm contributing to the number of responsible gun owning population.
    Last edited by tank_monkey; 08-28-2020 at 03:54 PM.

The principle or ammo conservation.
    "And how we burned in the camps later thinking, what would things have been like, if every security operative, when he went out at night to make an arrest, had been uncertain, whether he would return alive and had to say good-bye to his family?"

huge emphasis on respect for the firearm as lethal, even a .22. Not fear but respect. But you need to keep that respect for life and never get complacent.

Emphacis on safety as absolute. Every gun is loaded, always. That said the first thing you do when you pick it up is chamber check. I was taught to always hand a firearm to another person with the action open. And if you are on the receiving end to check the chamber even if you just say the person who handed it to you check it.

Muzzle discipline as an absolute. Never point the muzzle that anything you don't intend to destroy, including yourself. This applies even if you just proved to yourself that it was empty. Some exceptions during cleaning or disassembly but you made DAMN sure it is empty.

Keep booger hooks off trigger, always. This is a big one for newbies.

Emphasis that you are responsible for ever bullet that leaves the gun, there is no, "Im sorry I didn't mean to pull the trigger or oops, I didn't think that bullet would go over that hill, or damn, I sure thought it was empty"

Can you load, unload, lock slide, action bolt, etc back easily. Do you know where the safety is?

Can you pick a gun up and set it down following all of the safety rules without muzzling yourself or someone else keeping your finger away from the trigger at all times.

Do you know how to disassembly and re-assembly it as far as is necessary to clean it and can you do that safely.

Do you know how to lubricate it properly.

If you are going to carry are you comfortable holstering, drawing, and re-holstering without breaking any of the safety rules.

Can you demonstrate all of these things and still say that you have absolute respect for a firearm as a potentially deadly thing

I think after those you can move on to stance, proper grip, sight alignment, trigger squeeze. You can throw breathing in there too if you want.

How to handle a jam or the unexpected while maintaining muzzle and trigger discipline.

I had to fight a flinch for a long time. Dry fire is great for that. make damn sure the gun is empty. Make sure your dry fire area is without distraction. I won't drink as much as 1 beer if I am going to do dry fire. Make sure that you are dry firing in a safe direction (Is your child or spouse on the other side of the wall?

Quote Originally Posted by 5.56NATO View Post
    The principle or ammo conservation.
    Why would you assume that I would NOT introduce shooters to a live firing drill INTENTIONALLY if it were NOT for the total LACK OF AMMO? LOL. I would of course start with the basics, but take them to the range. No ammo anywhere. The ranges don't even have ammo for sale. So I'm doing the next best thing. But if I'm starting from scratch, I do a lot of training BEFORE these folks would even get to load live (even if that were possible). But I'm endeavoring to train them with no ammo available

Quote Originally Posted by NAPOTS View Post
    You do realize that modern trigger discipline methods only came about in the 1970s? My father was a WW2 veteran and I once asked him about that and he said that he and all of the Soldiers fighting in Europe in the 1940s 'weren't stupid enough to shoot our own guys in the back". LOL. Sure I think it's a good idea, but we had TONS of decorated WAR VETS out of WW2, Korea and Vietnam (even though the training for finger oFF the trigger 'started' during the Vietnam War) who said that they knew well enough NOT to have ADs or shoot their own guys. I always thought it was funny.

Quote Originally Posted by tank_monkey View Post
    You do realize that modern trigger discipline methods only came about in the 1970s? My father was a WW2 veteran and I once asked him about that and he said that he and all of the Soldiers fighting in Europe in the 1940s 'weren't stupid enough to shoot our own guys in the back". LOL. Sure I think it's a good idea, but we had TONS of decorated WAR VETS out of WW2, Korea and Vietnam (even though the training for finger oFF the trigger 'started' during the Vietnam War) who said that they knew well enough NOT to have ADs or shoot their own guys. I always thought it was funny.
    I know that but if I were hunting behind you wouldn't you feel better if you know I was strict with my muzzle and trigger finger?

And I am sure there was more than 1 person to fall victim to a negligent discharge back in the day that could have been avoided with trigger finger discipline.

Team GunsNet Platinum 02/2015 davepool's Avatar

My grand daughter and i shoot air soft at each other, i have 2 old 1911 style pistols that are a little weak. No shots above the waist and we wear face shields.

She's getting pretty good at hitting a moving target, albeit a very SLOW moving target
    Last edited by davepool; 08-28-2020 at 06:56 PM.

With another 3-5 MILLION brand new gun owners, I've been trying to help folks out. But there's no ammo for training, so I'm doing dry training, aka teaching them proper usage, handling, safety. I have snap cap 'ammo' to train with loading, clearing jams, muzzle safety, trigger discipline, etc. I also give them a primer on legal usage and what to do if the worst happens (aka the mobs come for them).

Some of the advice included stuff like :

1) Video yourself if possible and keep that camera rolling. That evidence will really help you.

2) Stay calm and don't do anything stupid

3) Stressing safety and how to avoid little kids getting their hands on the weapons or any untrained family members I've learned that THE MOST dangerous people around guns are libs or uninformed 'neutrals' who know NOTHING about guns and have no respect for them. LOL

What's funny is that the only ammo now available is stuff like #7 birdshot. I train folks that ANYTHING is lethal at pointblank range. Even from a distance, firing birdshot at an attacking mob will drive them back (that stuff hurts!) If all you have is lower powered stuff, it's still better than nothing. (but only use lethal force if you feel your life is threatened. I always advise against 'warning shots' unless a potential assailant is actively encroaching upon you on your own property)

Oh yes, and STOP VOTING for Dems (or any antigun RINOS) who will take away your rights. But I'm in Blue California, where the MEDIA controls the left leaning population.

Any other hints or ideas? I actually really like training the uninitiated. I feel like I'm contributing to the number of responsible gun owning population.

I have an orange plastic M1911 that I use to teach noobs.

I can't very well demonstrate sweeping the muzzle across someone with a real gun.

I also dispel the notion that the safety is safe by taking the plastic gun, then saying "the safety is on", point it at their face and ask "should I pull the trigger?".

THAT rams home the idea better than just saying "don't trust the safety".

I also harp on the idea of "keep your finger off the trigger". I place the plastic pistol on the table and ask them to pick it up. At first, the index finger goes on the trigger and I yell at them. Soon, they get into the habit.

I also teach them to unload, clear the chamber, lock the action open then check the chamber again before handing someone else the gun. I ask them to hand me the plastic gun and when they try, I just sit there and don't take it. They look confused for a second, then say "oh yeah" and do the motions of unload, check, lock and check again.

Setting them up to actually make the mistake seems to "stick" better than just saying it. And, I'd rather they make the mistakes with the orange plastic gun than a real one.
    Gentlemen may prefer Blondes, but Real Men prefer Redheads!

I'm not sure you are correct. My dad was a WW-II veteran (B24-J nose gunner) and carried an M1911A1. After the war, he never handled a gun again. One day at his house I showed him my 1943 M1911A1 and he said "it's exactly like the one I had" and when he held it his finger was clearly and intentionally off the trigger. There was nowhere he would have learned that except from the USAAC in 1943.

Quote Originally Posted by NAPOTS View Post
    You pull the trigger with your pinky finger?