Thread: Anybody experienced with Toyota trucks?

Guns Network Contributor 01/2015 Altarboy's Avatar

Anybody experienced with Toyota trucks?

I've been truck shopping for a couple months or more. People think their trucks are made out of gold.
    I have a Ranger with 232k miles that needs some work.
    I found a 2016 Tacoma white access cab with a very nice matching topper for 17,900. My Ranger is rated rough book because of the dents, the miles etc..
    Looks like I can trade for 16, 500 difference.
    How does that sound?

how many miles are on the toyota?

If you can stand the hassle, you will be better off financially to sell your truck yourself. Then you just have to negotiate one thing, the price of the truck you are buying. Years ago I did the accounting for a car dealership. They used a four square method of car sales. It consisted of the price for your trade, the price of the car you are buying, the down payment and the monthly payment. Read this article for some tips on how to handle this.

https://www.consumerreports.org/cons...ow-to-beat-it/

Quote Originally Posted by Viking350 View Post
    If you can stand the hassle, you will be better off financially to sell your truck yourself. Then you just have to negotiate one thing, the price of the truck you are buying. Years ago I did the accounting for a car dealership. They used a four square method of car sales. It consisted of the price for your trade, the price of the car you are buying, the down payment and the monthly payment. Read this article for some tips on how to handle this.

https://www.consumerreports.org/cons...ow-to-beat-it/
    4 square sheet is pretty standard. Its designed to figure out which one of the squares is most important to you and to screw you on the other 3.

Team GunsNet Platinum 02/2015 davepool's Avatar

Toyota generally has a higher resale value than other pick ups and i think they are one of the safest trucks on the road.

My daughter walked away from a 35mph driver side head on collision with a ford F150 pick up. The 1999 tacoma ext. cab was totaled but you could still open and shut the doors and the steering worked.

My wife had a seizure while driving our 2005 tacoma, flipped it on it's roof and only had a minor fracture in her hand.

I've had a nissan frontier and currently drive a GMC canyon. The Toyotas fit and finish was miles ahead of those 2.

The Toyota has 96k.
    Yeah I also worked at a couple dealers and you gotta be careful as hell, even if you're an old horse trader.

Well it's home now. I sure like it. Cane with an 1800 dollar matching topper. It's sure a big truck for a 4cyl.
    I wish there was a way to check the atf. It has no tranny dipstick.

Any shop that does transmission work can check it for you. They will have to put it on the rack but it can be checked.

Quote Originally Posted by Altarboy View Post
    Well it's home now. I sure like it. Cane with an 1800 dollar matching topper. It's sure a big truck for a 4cyl.
    I wish there was a way to check the atf. It has no tranny dipstick.
    Very few vehicles have tranny dipsticks any more. My Hyundai Elantra doesn't nor does a relative's Ford Fusion(?? Focus ??) mini-SUV.
    Maybe somebody objected to the dipsticks being referred to as "tranny".
    Last edited by JTHunter; 09-12-2020 at 10:00 PM.
    “I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted. The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”