Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Have you guys ever scored a deal on ANY Auction site?

Have you guys ever scored a deal on ANY Auction site?

I have a lot better luck with Ebay on non firearms items. But patience is the key. If someone shows up and there isn't a bidding war for it, you've struck gold and can get it at a great price. I've done this with holsters, bandoleers, ammo pouches, etc. I've scored some nice riot helmets on Ebay and body armor (just in time for meeting Antifa at the door with a nice boomstick)

But on gun auction sites, forget it. Every 'cheap' firearm I'm watching, even used ones, I usually see a bidding war go on and it ends up selling usually for about what a new one would cost, which totally confuses me.

Quote Originally Posted by tank_monkey View Post
    I have a lot better luck with Ebay on non firearms items. But patience is the key. If someone shows up and there isn't a bidding war for it, you've struck gold and can get it at a great price. I've done this with holsters, bandoleers, ammo pouches, etc. I've scored some nice riot helmets on Ebay and body armor (just in time for meeting Antifa at the door with a nice boomstick)

But on gun auction sites, forget it. Every 'cheap' firearm I'm watching, even used ones, I usually see a bidding war go on and it ends up selling usually for about what a new one would cost, which totally confuses me.
    I've gotten small items on Gunbroker like a 1911 NOS barrel, NOS walnut 1911 grip panels, some Beretta M9/92 parts, etc... but no "great deals". It was more like "the only place I could find that item".
    Gentlemen may prefer Blondes, but Real Men prefer Redheads!

I've only bought a firearm from an auction site a few times. I think I got decent deals, the best was snagging a NIB Remington 700 police for something like $600.

I try to avoid the hassle of a PPT if I can.

Indiana, a state that is trying to remain free.
    Granted this was over 15 years ago but I had gotten several fairly good deals on Gunbroker. Several Norincos and one MP5 clone at a great price. I have also gotten good deals on mags and one rare time some ammo. Ammo deal was pre-obama.

PA, where the cold is only matched by the isolation
    Gunbroker at the moment is insane, I recently saw a bone stock Remington Tac-14 go for $750

Back just before the "Ban sunset" some seemed to think values would drop so started listing.
    I scored an unfired Polytech Legend with box and accessories for $850
    I'd call that a score
    For peace of mind, resign as general manager of the universe

Team Gunsnet Platinum 06/2016 ltorlo64's Avatar

I got my officer's sword on e-bay. It is a Korean War vintage by a reputable sword maker and cost about half of the price of a cheap ones being sold in the uniform shop. Plus the guy that sold it told me a little about the sword's history as it belonged to his father.
    "Nothing ever gets so bad that government "help" can't make it worse." Pat Garrett, March 22, 2014

"HATE IS GOOD, WHEN ITS DIRECTED AT EVIL." PROBASCO, April 20, 2012

I tried to push the envelope, but found that it was stationery.

Have you heard about the new corduroy pillows? They're making head lines!

NRA Endowment Member

I got a couple good deals off of some of the gun groups on FB before they closed them down.

Team GunsNet Platinum 02/2015 davepool's Avatar

I got a smoking deal on a muzzle loader on gun broker....sorry just had to say that

It was about 12 yrs ago for a thompson center Black Mountain Magnum .50 cal, fired only a couple times and shipped from pennsylvania for $275

I'm seeing a trend here. Everyone used to get good deals ...... YEARS AGO.

But nowadays it's harder.

I've found there are a tons more guys who are willing to OVER BID on items. Recently, I saw a 'wallhanger' side by side shotgun, a no name piece of crap, on Gunbroker that ended up selling for $350.00 (penny sale, first bid, 0.01). WTF?

It seems like for a new firearm you can get a better deal from places like buds, grabagun, davidsons, etc.

Team GunsNetwork PLATINUM 10/2012 rci2950's Avatar

find out who is the guy that people call when their relative dies and they don't know what to do with the guns thats your ticket right there
    Gunsnet member since 2002
    Salt Water Cowboy - Dolphin 38

Team GunsNet Bronze 07/2011 weevil's Avatar

I have never gotten any good deals on gun auction sites....as mentioned the idiots always bid things up to where the price is ridiculous.

Oh you might come across a deal on some obscure thing that nobody is interested in, but anything even remotely popular will be bid up well beyond anything that could be considered a "good deal".

Unless it's something you just gotta have at any price and can't find it anywhere else, they're a waste of time...better off buying it new if at all possible.
    Where are we going and why are we in this handbasket???

Quote Originally Posted by weevil View Post
    I have never gotten any good deals on gun auction sites....as mentioned the idiots always bid things up to where the price is ridiculous.

Oh you might come across a deal on some obscure thing that nobody is interested in, but anything even remotely popular will be bid up well beyond anything that could be considered a "good deal".

Unless it's something you just gotta have at any price and can't find it anywhere else, they're a waste of time...better off buying it new if at all possible.
    About ten years ago I did pretty well. I was picking up rare milsurp Mausers for fair prices. Now I'm seeing crap like Enfield No 1 Mk IIIs for $650.00 each! With the gun buy panic of 2020, everyone thinks their gun is GOLD. And there are people desperate enough to keep on bidding, jacking the prices up.

About ten years ago I did pretty well. I was picking up rare milsurp Mausers for fair prices. Now I'm seeing crap like Enfield No 1 Mk IIIs for $650.00 each! With the gun buy panic of 2020, everyone thinks their gun is GOLD. And there are people desperate enough to keep on bidding, jacking the prices up.
    Now is not the time to be buying that's for sure.

Even the pawn shops and gun stores are asking top dollar on anything they happen to have in stock. It's a seller's market.....if you're looking to clear out some safe queens nows the time.

Now is not the time to be buying that's for sure.

Even the pawn shops and gun stores are asking top dollar on anything they happen to have in stock. It's a seller's market.....if you're looking to clear out some safe queens nows the time.
    With our stupid California lockdowns, I can't get my garbage guns to the Gun stores. Can't find any transfer dealers any more in my area (the state has pretty much forced them out of business) and the GUN STORES want to take 50% of my take on the sale of the gun. I figure a site like Gunbroker is good. But I don't want to sell to another gun owners. I want to GOUGE stupid anti gun liberals and charge them 400% markup. Those are the only people I'll gouge with a clear conscience. I won't gouge fellow gun owners (who are not hypocritical lefties).

In the last 20 years, I have only bought a couple of things on-line. Twenty years ago, I had to buy the software for my computer classes at a special store for students (Photoshop, Dreamweaver, etc.) and three years ago, a rifle from a guy in CO through Gunbroker. The rifle was ~20 y.o., a Marlin 1894, and, with shipping, cost me about $850. Not a particularly good price but I had been looking for two years and had lost over a dozen other auctions, mainly due to bad timing. I'm still satisfied with this one as it shows very little wear, is a "JM" stamped rifle, and has worked flawlessly for me.
    So I'm satisfied.
    “I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted. The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

With our stupid California lockdowns, I can't get my garbage guns to the Gun stores. Can't find any transfer dealers any more in my area (the state has pretty much forced them out of business) and the GUN STORES want to take 50% of my take on the sale of the gun. I figure a site like Gunbroker is good. But I don't want to sell to another gun owners. I want to GOUGE stupid anti gun liberals and charge them 400% markup. Those are the only people I'll gouge with a clear conscience. I won't gouge fellow gun owners (who are not hypocritical lefties).

My problem is the more valuable they become the less desire I have to sell them...especially not being certain as to what the future market might be like.

I've already had some hard to refuse offers on my Glocks but right now I'm hanging on to what I got.

My problem is the more valuable they become the less desire I have to sell them...especially not being certain as to what the future market might be like.

I've already had some hard to refuse offers on my Glocks but right now I'm hanging on to what I got.
    I got tons of budget 12 gauge pump shotguns. Sears Roebuck, Stevens, Armscor, Hatsan .... budget junk. I know there are people who are terrified of the BLM mobs who would LOVE a 12 gauge pump shotgun. But I can't just sell them out of the trunk of my car (like the good ole days lol) I won't sell the 'good stuff' but there are cheap handguns and budget shotguns that work well enough and are appropriate for folks who have nothing to defend themselves with. I just can't hook up with the buyers, the way California is set up I have to transfer it through an ffl and ALL of the gun stores are no longer doing private party transfers because they're slammed with customers buying up everything on their shelves for a HIGH markup. Hopefully things will calm down and I can transfer via the FFLs in the store.

I got tons of budget 12 gauge pump shotguns. Sears Roebuck, Stevens, Armscor, Hatsan .... budget junk. I know there are people who are terrified of the BLM mobs who would LOVE a 12 gauge pump shotgun. But I can't just sell them out of the trunk of my car (like the good ole days lol) I won't sell the 'good stuff' but there are cheap handguns and budget shotguns that work well enough and are appropriate for folks who have nothing to defend themselves with. I just can't hook up with the buyers, the way California is set up I have to transfer it through an ffl and ALL of the gun stores are no longer doing private party transfers because they're slammed with customers buying up everything on their shelves for a HIGH markup. Hopefully things will calm down and I can transfer via the FFLs in the store.
    have you tried armslist and gunsamerica?

I think some shops will also sell for you on consignment or even take your gun to a gun show but their take is probably too steep to be worth it.

Yea I remember growing up in CA where you could sell guns in the newspaper out of your house (as long as it wasnt a business)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast