Thread: 5 Things to Know About Slide Stops—A Pistol's Most Misunderstood Control

Team GunsNet Gold 07/2012 / Super Moderator Gunreference1's Avatar

Post 5 Things to Know About Slide Stops—A Pistol's Most Misunderstood Control

After today, it's all historical.

A good read and something I have pondered myself before.

For a while I was shooting (1911) where I would drop the slide stop with my support hand as part of forming my grip. This felt fast and efficient if you can train your muscle memory for it. However, as I shot more in competition I would experience an occasional failure to feed or failure to go into battery.

I then started "sling shotting" my reloads. I figured the extra 1/8" of travel on the slide lets it pick up a little more momentum and gives you a better chance of a successful reload. Like the author said it also doesn't require much fine motor skill and isn't firearm dependent. The location of the slide stop varies from gun to gun so grabbing the slide yanking it back and letting it go is more universal.

You could say, why would I have a defensive gun where I thought it was going to jam? I have seen just about every time of gun jam during matches including Glocks. It happens. Maybe you are in a defensive situation where you gun is a little dry (lube), maybe you dropped it in the dirt. I figured training to slingshot gives you an edge, admittedly small, but every little bit helps.

The second thing is he mentioned tap rack bang. I have never had this work on a handgun. One time I had a failure to eject and by "tapping" the magazine with my support hand I jammed the un-ejected round under the ejector and bent the ejector pin. Since the ejector was loose it was a jammomatic until I fixed it. It seems like almost always I have to drop the mag and rack the slide. If I was getting shot at, I would just do a reload mag retention be damned under the circumstances.