Thread: Super Steel?

Super Steel?

Ok, one of my Kalashnikov rifles was imported in 2001 which means it had to comply with Klinton's AWB. The ears of the bayonet lug are ground off and of course a bayonet won't snap-lock into place. Instead of buying a new gas block, I figured that I could drill a 1/16 diameter hole through where the lugs should be and insert a 1/16 roll pin to serve as lugs.

But, the steel is very hard. It ate a HSS drill (no real surprise there). It ate a cobalt drill and a titanium nitride drill too (wow!). So, I bought some 1/16 carbide drills. I tested one by drilling a hole through glass... no problem. BUT... even the carbide drill won't cut the gas block steel.

WTF? Is this thing Kryptonite or what? I can't think of any harder drill material than carbide.

Anyone have any ideas? It's not terribly important... I just wanted to see if it would work. But the inability of CARBIDE to cut steel has me stumped and now I just "need to know" what's going on.

I know that I could probably get it red hot and kill the hardness, but I don't want to overheat the barrel and f- it up. I should probably just get a new gas block, but drilling and pinning a new piece on the barrel just seems like asking for alignment and gas leak trouble. I should probably just fuggetaboutit.

Any ideas?
    Gentlemen may prefer Blondes, but Real Men prefer Redheads!

Not an expert by any means here but I do have a few questions.

1. Did you buy these drill bits at a place like home depot? If so they are probably soft no matter what is on the box.

2. Are you matching the speed to the size of the drill correctly? If these are small diameter it shouldn't be too much of a problem.

3. Are you using cutting lubricant?

4. How is the FSB you are drilling fixtured?

I would just have someone with the proper tools replace the gasblock.
    Don't Let the Bastards wear you down. Gen Joseph "Vinager Joe" Stillwell.

Guns Network Lifetime Member #2

Yeah that hardened steel is something else. I took a rear block for an RPK Sheet metal receiver build I was doing to be milled down by a local guy. I forgot to mention, it's hardened steel, He had to buy a special end mill after trashing one of his. Think he used a carbide end mill. All my builds before the ban expired, I just had a bead weld put on one side, hoping it would sunset, then it was easy to just grind down the weld. Bummer for the ears cut off. I'd do what Nashorn said, but then again some other issues come into the picture here. Best do it yourself.

Indiana, a state that is trying to remain free.
    When I drilled the holes in the Romy front sights with the 22mm thread I had to use a "solid carbide hi-roc"drill and those were good for only two through holes through that crazy hard steel.

For a moment there I thought you were talking about knives. Have a link to the carbide bit you used?
    I am the master of my fate
    I am the captain of my soul

"(The Second Amendment) isn't a law but an enumerated right, a right that we cannot allow to be corralled to make politicians and ant-gun fanatics happy." ~Old Grump

Indiana, a state that is trying to remain free.
    Unfortunately they were a gift from a machinist at a company I retired from. The only help I can give is they are in a tube marked "M.A. FORD USA" and beneath marked 20009370 EDP 20163. Size it 3/32

That machinist was also nice enough to make some Galil and other parts for me. All I needed to do was provide a blueprint. About the only thing I miss since I retired 10 1/2 years ago.

Team GunsNet Bronze 10/2014

did the machine shop have an edm? i worked where they did and certain metals had to be machined or cut on one. they had capability to burn shapes or cut holes with carbon arc or wires. it probably will cost a pretty penny.