Thread: Truck Drivers To Boycott Colorado

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2013 alismith's Avatar

Truck Drivers To Boycott Colorado

Recently, a truck driver was involved in an accident that killed 4 people and injured a lot of others. His brakes failed as he was doing downhill and he crashed into cars stopped at an intersection. He was sentenced to 100 years in prison. Even though the judge didn't agree with the senetnce, he was bound by law to impose it.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/rogel-a...traffic-crash/

Now, truckers, nationwide are trying to get all truck drivers to boycott that state, some even offering to pay their drivers more money to drive around the state. No deliveries are to be trucked in.

https://www.deseret.com/2021/12/20/2...ears-in-prison

It's interesting how Blue states have some of the most insane laws.....

I hope all truck drivers boycott that state.
    "Valar morghulis; valar dohaeris."

Commucrats are most efficient at converting sins and crimes to accidents or misunderstandings.-Oswald Bastable

Making good people helpless won't make bad people harmless.

Freedom isn't free.

"Attitude is the paintbrush that colors our world." TV Series, Haven.

My Spirit Animal has rabies.

I'd rather be an American than a Democrat.

"If you can make a man afraid, you can control him" Netflix Series, The Irregulars

Guns Network Contributor 01/2015 Altarboy's Avatar

Well, there are proper ways to descend a steep grade. We were taught to put it down in 9th gear, stay under 30, and ride the brakes all the way down. For loads under 70 gross vehicle weight, this isn't as crucial. He passed one or two runaway ramps. He screwed up and he knew it as he did it.

Indiana, a state that is trying to remain free.
    Downshift and engine or Jake brake if equipped and if you use the foot brake and start to lose it, that run-off might ruin your reputation, but people would be alive and not know how heroic your action was. In this case, the new guy did just about everything wrong, but the sentence is nuts and he too will have to live with it the rest of his life.

Yeah Jake's are great. The first tractor I drove, a Navastar, didn't have one.

Team GunsNet Bronze 07/2011 weevil's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Altarboy View Post
    He passed one or two runaway ramps.

Big trucks lose it going down steep mountain grades, happens a lot......THAT IS WHY THEY HAVE RUNAWAY RAMPS!!!

Why would you just blow right past them if your brakes failed???

The local news interviewed some truckers and yeah some are mad but others weren't...one trucker made a good observation, "that coulda been me he hit at the bottom of the mountain".
    Where are we going and why are we in this handbasket???

A couple of questions I have: Was this an O/O or a company truck? If O/O, he's totally liable.

If a company truck, was he properly trained in the use of runaway ramps?

But...ultimately you cut the wheel and trash the truck before you're close to harming others...I believe that's the right thing to do...so in that regard, the driver is negligent, whether in training or maintenance.
    If we refuse to rule ourselves with reason, then we shall be ruled by our passions.

He, Who Will Not Reason, Is a Bigot; He, Who Cannot, Is a Fool; and He, Who Dares Not, Is a Slave. -Sir William Drummond

There are some things I will not abide within my sight!

The Runaway Ramps are basically just a big sand pit...once the truck's in there it's not going to be cheap to get it out and then get it repaired.

Needless to say some truckers are reluctant to use them, thinking they can ride it out and get it stopped without using the Runaway Ramp. This one has got a lot of press, but it certainly isn't the first time people have been killed by runaway trucks that failed to use the ramps....this is why the penalties are so severe.

I do think they wanted to make an example of this idiot and in one respect it has brought national attention to this problem.....and hopefully all truckers will think twice before blowing past those ramps.

And the latest is the DA is asking for a resentencing with a more reasonable sentence of 20 to 30 years.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crime...?ocid=msedgntp

The governor cummuted his sentence to 10 years.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crime...edgdhp&pc=U531

When I was driving over the road back in the early 90s, there were lots of drivers who refused to go to California and the Northeast.

When I was driving over the road back in the early 90s, there were lots of drivers who refused to go to California and the Northeast.

I had a neighbor back in the '90s who drove truck. He worked for Jett Supply it was a hardware distributor for the steel mill, nails, wire fencing, pipe etc. He once told me they stopped doing deliveries to the NE....too many hijackings and theft from the trucks, just got too dangerous and expensive.

Whole country is getting to be like that nowadays.

And not to mention the theft from the permits and tolls. The traffic makes you old before time. And, the truck stops are crowded as f.

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2013 alismith's Avatar

And not to mention the theft from the permits and tolls. The traffic makes you old before time. And, the truck stops are crowded as f.
    That's because truck stops have good food.
    "Valar morghulis; valar dohaeris."

Commucrats are most efficient at converting sins and crimes to accidents or misunderstandings.-Oswald Bastable

Making good people helpless won't make bad people harmless.

Freedom isn't free.

"Attitude is the paintbrush that colors our world." TV Series, Haven.

My Spirit Animal has rabies.

I'd rather be an American than a Democrat.

"If you can make a man afraid, you can control him" Netflix Series, The Irregulars