Thread: How many of you have ever heard of Dave Ramsey or Chris Hogan

Guns Network Lifetime Member #2

How many of you have ever heard of Dave Ramsey or Chris Hogan

Read his book The total money makeover?, Done the Dave Ramsey thing? Read the book Everyday Millionaires by Chris Hogan? How many of you want to be millionaires when you retire? Living paycheck to paycheck because you don't budget and have no financial plan to retire in comfort because you stupidly live for the day? I will gladly send these books free of charge to you if you can't afford them, because I want you all to be successful and leave a legacy. I listen to Dave Ramsey since probably my early 40's, In my late 40's got serious, became completely debt free with a paid off house and plenty of personal property and investments by my late 50's. The earlier you start, the more you will retire with in comfort, not worrying about where that next paycheck is coming from. Not bragging but me and the wife are on the cusp, through the basic baby steps in Dave's book. Chris Hogans book points out average people can be "rich" with simple discipline and a plan. Please contact me by PM or if it's full, let me know here and I'll get in touch with you to send you copies of these books if you are sick and tired of making stupid decisions with your hard earned money and living normally(IN DEBT WITH NO PLAN)

Big fan of Dave Ramsey and his ideas!

Unfortunately my better half has her own ideas, is addicted to Amazon and profligate spending...so I'm reduced to working the steps on my own with one arm tied behind my back...so to speak. Had been religiously stashing away $50 a paycheck for the last three years and had built up an emergency fund of about 3 grand (of course she couldn't be bothered to contribute, even though she makes three times what I do) and then one of our cats became seriously ill (her cat...cats pick their people, not the other way around) the emergency vet demanded $1500 up front to treat him...guess where that money came from? Do you think she had penny one to contribute?

Sigh...one step forward, two steps back...
    If we refuse to rule ourselves with reason, then we shall be ruled by our passions.

He, Who Will Not Reason, Is a Bigot; He, Who Cannot, Is a Fool; and He, Who Dares Not, Is a Slave. -Sir William Drummond

There are some things I will not abide within my sight!

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2013 alismith's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Oswald Bastable View Post

Unfortunately my better half has her own ideas, is addicted to Amazon and profligate spending...so I'm reduced to working the steps on my own with one arm tied behind my back...so to speak. Had been religiously stashing away $50 a paycheck for the last three years and had built up an emergency fund of about 3 grand (of course she couldn't be bothered to contribute, even though she makes three times what I do) and then one of our cats became seriously ill (her cat...cats pick their people, not the other way around) the emergency vet demanded $1500 up front to treat him...guess where that money came from? Do you think she had penny one to contribute?

I feel for you, Oswald. However, there is a much, much, much cheaper way to fix a cat's illness.....it costs about 20 cents....
    "Valar morghulis; valar dohaeris."

Commucrats are most efficient at converting sins and crimes to accidents or misunderstandings.-Oswald Bastable

Making good people helpless won't make bad people harmless.

Freedom isn't free.

"Attitude is the paintbrush that colors our world." TV Series, Haven.

My Spirit Animal has rabies.

I'd rather be an American than a Democrat.

"If you can make a man afraid, you can control him" Netflix Series, The Irregulars

Quote Originally Posted by alismith View Post
    I feel for you, Oswald. However, there is a much, much, much cheaper way to fix a cat's illness.....it costs about 20 cents....
    Don't be a rat bastard ali...

To some of us our pets are like children, and if you'd take the time to get to know them, you'd know it was true.

I'm gonna infer here you do not have a pet...no dog, no cat...you find them superfluous to your life. That's fine...so you've made a determination based on no base knowledge, no familiarity, no empathy...

Congrats! You're a liberal!!!

Oh, and just so we're clear here bud...I've had cats and dogs since I was 5 years old. I prefer cats and have them exclusively now, but I can tell you that without exception or reservation I have found them to be better friends to me than 99 and 44/100s percent of humanity I've encountered.

I'ma guess I can think all of them that would be better friends in the long run than you might be over that same time period.
    Last edited by Oswald Bastable; 01-25-2021 at 01:59 PM.
    If we refuse to rule ourselves with reason, then we shall be ruled by our passions.

He, Who Will Not Reason, Is a Bigot; He, Who Cannot, Is a Fool; and He, Who Dares Not, Is a Slave. -Sir William Drummond

Ramsey has great ideas save for on gold and silver in hand in a time of crisis.
    "And how we burned in the camps later thinking, what would things have been like, if every security operative, when he went out at night to make an arrest, had been uncertain, whether he would return alive and had to say good-bye to his family?"

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2013 alismith's Avatar

I grew up in a home with lots of cats. My daughter had a cat while she lived here and when she moved away, the cat stayed. It was a good cat, but I still prefer dogs, not lap dogs, but real dogs, like Shepherd-sized on up. My wife hates cats and dogs and only tolerated the snakes I kept (one was a Rock Python that grew to 11 feet before I gave it to a pet store). My wife did a lot of tolerating on that one.

Since both the cat and dog died about 10 years ago, I really haven't wanted another dog (that one was my buddy and when she died, it was very hard on me...don't think I want to go through that again....).

Cats are okay, but I'm not a cat lover, even though my daughter's cat seemed to love me (go figure). And the wife is adamant about never getting another cat, so I never pushed it.

Right now, I have 3 large Angelfish, a Pleco catfish, a little Cory Dory catfish and two Mollies. The reason I keep them is they are very little maintenance to keep.

However, they suck as watch dogs as they don't bark and really don't like leaving the aquarium.... I'm working on that, though.... There's nothing meaner than a pissed off Angelfish...
    "Valar morghulis; valar dohaeris."

Commucrats are most efficient at converting sins and crimes to accidents or misunderstandings.-Oswald Bastable

Making good people helpless won't make bad people harmless.

Freedom isn't free.

"Attitude is the paintbrush that colors our world." TV Series, Haven.

My Spirit Animal has rabies.

I'd rather be an American than a Democrat.

"If you can make a man afraid, you can control him" Netflix Series, The Irregulars

Quote Originally Posted by alismith View Post
    I grew up in a home with lots of cats. My daughter had a cat while she lived here and when she moved away, the cat stayed. It was a good cat, but I still prefer dogs, not lap dogs, but real dogs, like Shepherd-sized on up. My wife hates cats and dogs and only tolerated the snakes I kept (one was a Rock Python that grew to 11 feet before I gave it to a pet store). My wife did a lot of tolerating on that one.

Since both the cat and dog died about 10 years ago, I really haven't wanted another dog (that one was my buddy and when she died, it was very hard on me...don't think I want to go through that again....).

Cats are okay, but I'm not a cat lover, even though my daughter's cat seemed to love me (go figure). And the wife is adamant about never getting another cat, so I never pushed it.

Right now, I have 3 large Angelfish, a Pleco catfish, a little Cory Dory catfish and two Mollies. The reason I keep them is they are very little maintenance to keep.

However, they suck as watch dogs as they don't bark and really don't like leaving the aquarium.... I'm working on that, though.... There's nothing meaner than a pissed off Angelfish...
    Yeah, Quagmire and Buffy are rather reticent as watch cats as well, but when they snuggle in and offer bellies for loveins....well, that's pretty damned special...

CC and I currently have 7 cats, and we volunteer with a local no kill shelter once a week. Five of 'em came from them, and prior to this batch we had eight, all now passed on, buried in our backyard along with a few stragglers we took in over that time. We're at the age now where we can take no more younger cats...when this group goes the way of all things over time, we'll likely take in the odd older cat who no one else wants...

I honestly can't imagine not having a cat. My mom got our first cat when I was 5 years old. As I mentioned, they pick you, you don't pick them...that cat picked me. Then my mom decided they should breed Siamese cats and we had several of those...guess who they picked? No wonder my mother was rather cold towards me...lol!!!

But at some point I will have to be cat-less...so I don't have a friend with no place to go once I shuffle off this mortal coil.

There was a time in my 20s when I had both a dog and a cat. The dog was effectively a miniature black retriever, fan tail and all, but the size of a miniature poodle, the cat a large black and white tom. Somehow they worked out an arrangement. One day, they would play together the way cats played, the next day they would play the way dogs played.

Don't nobody tell me these creatures are dumb. They are smart as hell and they manipulate us in ways we only minimally grasp...lol!
    Last edited by Oswald Bastable; 01-25-2021 at 03:05 PM.

Team GunsNet Bronze 10/2014

i first heard dave years ago on a show in nashville called the money game. he's changed it a bit since but the theme is the same: debt is dumb. don't abuse credit. i've had a few tell me he's full of it. my reply: he's a multi millionaire, what's in your wallet? he just built a huge complex in franklin or brentwood tenn.

Don't nobody tell me these creatures are dumb. They are smart as hell and they manipulate us in ways we only minimally grasp...lol!
    People who don't like cats simply don't understand them. Cats also have a large "body language vocabulary". Anyone who expects a cat to be a dog simply doesn't get it. Of course, obviously, I don't have to tell you that. Unlike you, though, currently we only have two. Both are orange tabbys (tabbies?) one male and one female.

Have you ever noticed that a cat with a "flat head" is usually very smart? Of all the cats we've had, the ones with flat heads were much smarter and had much more "personality" than a "round head" cat. We actually make sure that any cat we get now has a flat head!

You may think I'm nuts, but some of our cats could communicate mentally. Many times an image or idea of what the cat wanted simply "popped into my mind" and I'd look down and see the cat waiting to get what she wanted. The "mental communicators" so far have been 100% the females.

Ever experience stuff like that?
    Gentlemen may prefer Blondes, but Real Men prefer Redheads!

That's a real killer. You both need to be on the same train with the same goals and plans to get there.

Quote Originally Posted by kuntryboy View Post
    i first heard dave years ago on a show in nashville called the money game. he's changed it a bit since but the theme is the same: debt is dumb. don't abuse credit. i've had a few tell me he's full of it. my reply: he's a multi millionaire, what's in your wallet? he just built a huge complex in franklin or brentwood tenn.
    Those few are people who will probably never be millionaires and more likely broke, when retirement rolls around. Any one with an ounce of self control can work through the babysteps and depending on whether you adhere to investing at least 15% into good track record growth mutual fund, You could have a net worth of 1 million in as little as 20-30 years. Luckily my wife always was a saver to her 401K's but never maxed them out till we both got on the train in the late 40's and made debt DUMB. I think about all the mistakes from the time we were young twenties,got married, not a pot to piss in because we pissed it away on credit cards, personal loans, stuff we didn't need, new trucks, boat ect.. Could've been retired already if we just read his book back then. Start early or wake some kids up now. Debt is Dumb, Cash is KING. Live for the moment with your finances and you'll die that way. The offer stands, I will buy and ship the book Total money makeover and Everyday millionaires for anyone who promises to read them or share them with someone younger. They should've taught this shit in high school.

Yeah, Quagmire and Buffy are rather reticent as watch cats as well, but when they snuggle in and offer bellies for loveins....well, that's pretty damned special...

CC and I currently have 7 cats, and we volunteer with a local no kill shelter once a week. Five of 'em came from them, and prior to this batch we had eight, all now passed on, buried in our backyard along with a few stragglers we took in over that time. We're at the age now where we can take no more younger cats...when this group goes the way of all things over time, we'll likely take in the odd older cat who no one else wants...

I honestly can't imagine not having a cat. My mom got our first cat when I was 5 years old. As I mentioned, they pick you, you don't pick them...that cat picked me. Then my mom decided they should breed Siamese cats and we had several of those...guess who they picked? No wonder my mother was rather cold towards me...lol!!!

But at some point I will have to be cat-less...so I don't have a friend with no place to go once I shuffle off this mortal coil.

There was a time in my 20s when I had both a dog and a cat. The dog was effectively a miniature black retriever, fan tail and all, but the size of a miniature poodle, the cat a large black and white tom. Somehow they worked out an arrangement. One day, they would play together the way cats played, the next day they would play the way dogs played.

They manipulate us all right. You didn't let me leave the house the other day when I wanted to go outside, so watch how nimble and acrobatic us cats are as we knock valuable shit off your shelves and throw up on the carpet, 2 inches from the flooring.

Quote Originally Posted by 5.56NATO View Post
    Ramsey has great ideas save for on gold and silver in hand in a time of crisis.
    Don't believe I've ever heard him mention precious metals as anything other than speculation. Growth Stock mutual funds with a long track record and 15% returns yearly average. I do gold silver and platinum but that's part of my speculation portfolio like Stock options...... ALL that is after 15-20 percent of our income going into Growth stock mutual funds in 401k's and IRA's.

https://www.daveramsey.com/askdave/r...t/down-on-gold
    Last edited by 1 Patriot-of-many; 01-26-2021 at 09:56 AM.

Team GunsNet Bronze 10/2014

Quote Originally Posted by 1 Patriot-of-many View Post
    Don't believe I've ever heard him mention precious metals as anything other than speculation. Growth Stock mutual funds with a long track record and 15% returns yearly average. I do gold silver and platinum but that's part of my speculation portfolio like Stock options...... ALL that is after 15-20 percent of our income going into Growth stock mutual funds in 401k's and IRA's.

https://www.daveramsey.com/askdave/r...t/down-on-gold
    i think the problem with gold, silver, etc. is that is if our currency totally collapsed, what would metals be balanced against? i might take an ounce of gold for my car. someone else might say an ounce of gold for a loaf of bread. the yukon and klondike had this situation in the gold rush years.

Quote Originally Posted by Krupski View Post
    You may think I'm nuts, but some of our cats could communicate mentally. Many times an image or idea of what the cat wanted simply "popped into my mind" and I'd look down and see the cat waiting to get what she wanted. The "mental communicators" so far have been 100% the females.

Ever experience stuff like that?
    Can't say that I have, though they have acquired numerous ways to let me know what they want.

Quote Originally Posted by 1 Patriot-of-many View Post
    They manipulate us all right. You didn't let me leave the house the other day when I wanted to go outside, so watch how nimble and acrobatic us cats are as we knock valuable shit off your shelves and throw up on the carpet, 2 inches from the flooring.
    You know what the strongest proof is that the world is not flat?

If it was, cats would have already knocked everything off the edge.

And that sir, is the honest truth!

That is so true....
    Gentlemen may prefer Blondes, but Real Men prefer Redheads!